Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

The company last night was incrediable! We were all asked to try to sit with people we do not know. Thus the tables were full of conversation and new fellowship. Tom Power and the Corduroy team consistantly deliver outstanding service and food. The only addition to these posts I can add is a poor picture of a great dish!

Really, what can I add? Thanks to Barbara for putting together this dinner and to Tom for arranging the perfect cassoulet weather. The staggered seatings worked well from what I could tell, hope the staff thought the same.

Once again another successful outing with DR.com'ers!

I just polished off my leftover cassoulet for lunch. :o All the meats were lusciously unctuous--worthy of over-the-top adjectives. By the way, Heather, Chef Tom said that the lamb was shoulder, not shanks. I'm guessing that the meats were braised for some time before being combined with the beans for further cooking, because the beans still had a bit of tooth to them while the meats were at the melting point--a nice contrast in textures. as a starter, I had the parsnip soup, which I really liked. Jonathan had the celeriac soup, which was made with seafood stock. It was tasty, but the celeriac flavor was overwhelmed by the stock IMO --it might as well have been potato. We did corkage and brought a 2003 Dom de Fondreche Cotes du Ventoux Nadal (grenache/syrah) which was big and tannic enough to stand up to the richness of the cassoulet. A very nice meal and excellent company.

I wish I could have made it...<sigh>

Instead, I spent the evening at Frederick Memorial Hospital with an irregular heartbeat. I'm home now (actually, since late last night) and medicated, and feeling tired and shaky...

I apologize profusely to anyone who my unannouced absence might have inconvenienced; Chef Tom, Barbara, or anyone else...I hate being that guy who doesn't show and doesn't call...

Rob

I decided to forgo a favorite and try something new tonight -- the duck egg salad -- and am very glad that I did. The blend of frisee, confit, and perfectly poached duck egg was velvety, rich and absolutely wonderful. This is the sort of dish that makes you want to lick the plate clean.

Is cassoulet on the menu, or was this just a one-time thing for whatever this soiree was?

It was a one-time thing for the soiree. We specifically asked Chef Power if he would consider adding it to the menu, and he said that he was not going to, as he didn't feel that it fit the theme of the restaurant.

I wish I could have made it...<sigh>

Instead, I spent the evening at Frederick Memorial Hospital with an irregular heartbeat. I'm home now (actually, since late last night) and medicated, and feeling tired and shaky...

I apologize profusely to anyone who my unannouced absence might have inconvenienced; Chef Tom, Barbara, or anyone else...I hate being that guy who doesn't show and doesn't call...

Rob

Well, you have posted EXACTLY the perfect excuse to be a No-Show. You will get no demerits.

HOWEVER, somebody unknown to Rissa, showed up in the bar and asked about the cassoulet and was served "your" portion.

Would this person care to come out and confess?

Well, you have posted EXACTLY the perfect excuse to be a No-Show. You will get no demerits.

HOWEVER, somebody unknown to Rissa, showed up in the bar and asked about the cassoulet and was served "your" portion.

Lucky Bastard...

Beleive me, I'd much rather have been there myself.

Rob

I decided to forgo a favorite and try something new tonight -- the duck egg salad -- and am very glad that I did. The blend of frisee, confit, and perfectly poached duck egg was velvety, rich and absolutely wonderful. This is the sort of dish that makes you want to lick the plate clean.

I had this at Cassoulet night, and I all but licked the plate clean. Velvety and rich are spot-on descriptors.

It was me. I knew about the cassoulet, forgot about the cassoulet, then stopped by the bar on a whim on Wednesday. I was lucky to get a bowl of the cassoulet and Rissa was a gracious host offering a glass of Negly when the food was slow arriving and macaroons to finish the meal, proving once again that nothing bad can ever happen at Corduroy.

I visited Corduroy a couple of weeks ago for the first time - took some out of town clients.

The food was reasonably good. Not exquisite, but good. The service was willing though a bit thin (not enough folks for the size of the room).

The location and ambience, however, really do detract from the experience. It's too bad.

Anyone who can eat both the duck egg salad and cassoulet in one sitting is my hero.

I think my body is so happy that I'm not drinking this month that my stomach barely batted an eye when it saw the river of animal fat pouring in. What a happy evening.

And I had chipotle for lunch that day, as if the situation in my stomach needed any more contributions.

I think my body is so happy that I'm not drinking this month that my stomach barely batted an eye when it saw the river of animal fat pouring in. What a happy evening.
I know what you mean. I went back for a second helping of the duck egg salad last night. We'll see if I suffer tremors of withdrawal when no duck eggs or confit appear at dinner tonight.

OK, headed to Corduroy tonight for my first time. I'm sold on the duck egg salad to start, but what should I have as an entree? All the talk in here appears to be of a cassoulet that is not on the menu, so lets hear what else I should be having.

OK, headed to Corduroy tonight for my first time. I'm sold on the duck egg salad to start, but what should I have as an entree? All the talk in here appears to be of a cassoulet that is not on the menu, so lets hear what else I should be having.
On Tom B.'s recommendation, I had the crispy sea bass recently ... it's prepared in a celery/oyster sauce (IIRC) that Tom described as "a taste of the sea". He was right. Yum. Light, and for me, ideal for the spring-y weather we're having :o

But, you really can't go wrong at Corduroy. Kind of depends on what you're in the mood for.

If they have the seared tuna with hijiki rice, that's my all-time favorite, but I don't know if it's on the menu at this point. I haven't been to Corduroy recently. I'm very fond of the lamb with mini goat cheese ravioli as well, if they're offering that.

ETA: Both show up on this menu, but I don't know how current it is.

My cousin was in town for a convention of petroleum industry accountants...zzzzzzz :P:):oB):o:lol: and called me at the last minute to have dinner. His hotel was at 14th and K, so Corduroy once again came to the rescue. I had to tiptoe around most of the menu because of the low-iodine diet, but settled on a salad and the pork cheeks with tarbais beans. I am in love with pork cheeks - those succulent little fatty morsels of porky deliciousness - and these managed to be rich but not too heavy. Service was lovely, as always.

Service was lovely, as always.
Do you know what I love about Cuorduroy? Their people! From sweet Rissa, to dashing Ferhat, and that Brown boy behind the bar! Oh, and that silver fox in the kitchen! By far my favorite resto in the DC area!

Past 5 years it`s been a great honor for me to work with Tom Power and Rissa Pagsibigan. They are great people and great teachers.

In this time I`ve met alot of you, waited on you,served you and I feel lucky. You all are very nice people. I hope I did a great job.

But for me, as the Head Server of Corduroy (for people think that I was a manager, I never was :blink: ), it is time to change. I am going to move on for new challenges. I`ll be leaving Corduroy as my last date of employment will be April 28th.

I hope I did great for Corduroy.

Thank you all very much and thank you Corduroy.

Kind Regards,

Ferhat Yalcin

That would be an understatement. I'm just sorry I won't be back for one more perfectly served meal before you go. Hopefully, you won't be going far. I don't recommend northern Florida, for example. :blink: Best wishes on whatever your next adventure will be.

I hope I did a great job.

Ferhat-

Dude, you're killing me. On your worst days you did a great job. ;) Fortunately you had very few bad days and 99.999 times out of 100 your performance would be classified as stellar. This is no understatement. Any industry, not just food and beverage, would be well-served (pun slightly intended) by having you on the team. We wish you much success and happiness.

-Sir and Mrs. Sir :blink:

p.s., is now the right time to call your attention to the dr.com user regulations section 4-2.14 that stipulates something to the effect of your requirement to let us know where and when we can find/contact you in the future, if only to invite you to some really swinging parties?

Ferhat-

Dude, you're killing me. On your worst days you did a great job. :blink: Fortunately you had very few bad days and 99.999 times out of 100 your performance would be classified as stellar. This is no understatement. Any industry, not just food and beverage, would be well-served (pun slightly intended) by having you on the team. We wish you much success and happiness.

You’re killing me, too, Ferhat! Of course you did MORE than great! In my opinion you are THE BEST! For all your days at Corduroy, you have exceeded excellence and have passionately performed with drive and intensity. You make us very proud!

You shine in anything you do and I wish you success in all your endeavors! You will be missed.

You're killing me, too, Ferhat! Of course you did MORE than great! In my opinion you are THE BEST! For all your days at Corduroy, you have exceeded excellence and have passionately performed with drive and intensity. You make us very proud!

You shine in anything you do and I wish you success in all your endeavors! You will be missed.
Is his last day with you still the 28th?

Is his last day with you still the 28th?
Yes it is. And he's got the nerve to ask me if he could make a reservation on May 11th ON A FRIDAY NIGHT FOR 30 GUESTS to celebrate Keyia's graduation dinner. I replied, "Now that you will be a regular customer, the same policy for booking large groups will apply to you." laugh.giftongue.gifwink.gif

...the look on Ferhat's face = blink.gif

I'm going to be experimenting with some cocktails for the spring menu on monday. If you want to come by, have some fun, and even have some imput on the process, come by. Please get a seat at the bar though, if you are at a table the trainee/ cocktail waitress will be your server :blink:

Yes it is. And he's got the nerve to ask me if he could make a reservation on May 11th ON A FRIDAY NIGHT FOR 30 GUESTS to celebrate Keyia's graduation dinner. I replied, "Now that you will be a regular customer, the same policy for booking large groups will apply to you." laugh.giftongue.gifwink.gif

...the look on Ferhat's face = blink.gif
I said yes and perhaps we could give him a discount as long as he works it! tongue.gif
laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Yes it is. And he's got the nerve to ask me if he could make a reservation on May 11th ON A FRIDAY NIGHT FOR 30 GUESTS to celebrate Keyia's graduation dinner. I replied, "Now that you will be a regular customer, the same policy for booking large groups will apply to you." ;):):P

...the look on Ferhat's face = :blink:

I'm reminded of an episode of "Fawlty Towers" where Basil gets tired of his wife giving him a difficult time, so he resigns from his job, then reappears moments later as a demanding customer. Not that Corduroy is in any way Fawlty Towers. Mostly not, anyway.

Past 5 years it`s been a great honor for me to work with Tom Power and Rissa Pagsibigan. They are great people and great teachers.

In this time I`ve met alot of you, waited on you,served you and I feel lucky. You all are very nice people. I hope I did a great job.

But for me, as the Head Server of Corduroy (for people think that I was a manager, I never was :blink: ), it is time to change. I am going to move on for new challenges. I`ll be leaving Corduroy as my last date of employment will be April 28th.

Thank you all very much and thank you Corduroy.

Kind Regards,

Ferhat Yalcin

Ferhat: You are by far the classiest , most elegant, understated and excellent server in Washington Dc. i wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Please keep in touch. For me, on the selfish side, I am never going to know what to drink at Corduroy again with my meal. Your excellent tasted in wine selections throughout the years have made every experience at Corduroy memorable. We will miss you.