Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

...and I am really happy that I have joined on here. The information that you all share is excellent and very entertaining, and while I have more lurker tendencies than most of you that post frequently, I am looking forward to contributing as much as possible.
Welcome, maxfli, and post away!

We kicked off Restaurant Week last night with an excellent meal at Corduroy. It was our first visit, and is sure not to be our last after what we experienced. Corduroy is great cooking, great service (our server was knowledgable and friendly), and a very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. I could rave on and on about my meal--the flavorful and rich tomato tonnato, the succulent pork belly, a generous selection of cheeses. I can't wait to return--hopefully again later this week...

Kudos to Corduroy for offering their full menu during RW.

Pop Quiz, Hotshots: What are some of the best values on Corduory's wine list at the moment?

(I don't have time to go through the fourteen pages of this thread to sniff out the answer, as our reservation is in just a few hours.)

Every bottle on that wine list is an incredible bargain. Rocks is partial to this Burgundy, a Gevery Chambertin, I believe. He gets it every time he goes in there, so don't drink it all, or he will suspend your DR.com privileges. I also like the 2000 Lalande-Broie, a St. Julien at $52/bottle, iirc. There is a bunch of whites on there as well that Jake Parrot could help you with but I think he is out of town right now. I think Jake likes the German stuff.

I had the Duckhorn Cabernet the other night. I also had the White Sancerre. I also had the champagne......

Seriously the Duckhorn was fabulous if you like a bold in your face, leave your teeth purple kind of wine. The Sancerre was crisp and more full bodied than a Chardonnay would be. Everything is an excellent value on that list.

I need to go back and redeem myself.. :)

Grover and I were at Corduroy last night for RW. Rissa and Ferhat couldn't have been more welcoming and cordial. The food was excellent (I'd forgotten how good the food was there). I won't bore you with the entire meal but the highlights were the roasted baby chicken (I used my fingers to get all the meat from the bones), the oysters on the half-shell appetizer and the "Kit-Kat Bar" dessert. The only minor low-point might have been my lobster carpaccio which while interesting didn't really have a distinctive lobster taste. In spite of that, there wasn't any left when all was said and done. The RW menu was extensive and a good representation of what Corduroy does so well.

I won't bore you with the entire meal but the highlights were the roasted baby chicken (I used my fingers to get all the meat from the bones), the oysters on the half-shell appetizer and the "Kit-Kat Bar" dessert.

Dignity is for people who don't enjoy quality meats. I wan't to offer my husband a bib when he eats that baby chicken.

Every bottle on that wine list is an incredible bargain. Rocks is partial to this Burgundy, a Gevery Chambertin, I believe. He gets it every time he goes in there, so don't drink it all, or he will suspend your DR.com privileges. I also like the 2000 Lalande-Broie, a St. Julien at $52/bottle, iirc. There is a bunch of whites on there as well that Jake Parrot could help you with but I think he is out of town right now. I think Jake likes the German stuff.
The Francois Jobard Meursault he's got on there is quite fine. When I was there three weeks ago, they were lighter on Riesling selections than normal.

And, I am now back in town from SA, where daily temperature spreads were a refreshing 45F-65F!

I dinned here this past Friday as well. The food was excellent as always. I just wished the desserts were better here, this slight improvement in my book would take this place over the top. I have tried the bread pudding, the chocolate bars, and the seasonal tarts at one time or another, and they never do it for me.

I just wished the desserts were better here, this slight improvement in my book would take this place over the top. I have tried the bread pudding, the chocolate bars, and the seasonal tarts at one time or another, and they never do it for me.
It's the tiny flaw that brings out the beauty. Perfection is boring. (and the food is damn fine!)

It's the tiny flaw that brings out the beauty. Perfection is boring. (and the food is damn fine!)

I am not looking for perfection, just a good dessert. I love just about everything about this place, except the endings.

We went on Saturday night. I love how they pace a meal.

I started with the corn soup--that is some pretty fine stuff there. Mr. BLB had the lobster salad, which is good but doesn't rock my world.

We both had the scallops as our main course--I mostly ordered it to get the potatoes. I can't think of any potato puree I've had that was as good as what Chef Power is serving with the scallops.

For dessert I had the creme brulee and he had the vanilla ice cream. We had told Rissa about the house purchase and our plates came out with Congratulations scripted in chocolate on them. So cute!

It was a wonderful evening and very relaxing. Thanks to Rissa et al for a terrific meal!

Jennifer

I am not looking for perfection, just a good dessert. I love just about everything about this place, except the endings.
Have you tried the chocolate tart with caramelized banana? Pure bliss. (I hear the baked chocolate sabayon, which wasn't offered during RW, is the star of the dessert menu. Have to try that sometime.)

I went with the +1 to Corduroy Friday night to celebrate a birthday (him) and new job (me). I stuck with the luscious seared tuna, as I always do, but the true highlights of the evening were the tomato tonnato and the chocolate hazelnut bars.

The tomato tonnato was just spicy enough to wake up the tastebuds, with the cubes of raw tuna cooling things off.

The +1 dubbed the chocolate hazelnut bars kit-kats of the Gods and I second that.

Have you tried the chocolate tart with caramelized banana? Pure bliss. (I hear the baked chocolate sabayon, which wasn't offered during RW, is the star of the dessert menu. Have to try that sometime.)

Yes, try the sabayon. If you're still down on Corduroy's desserts after that, I don't know that anything can help you. It is ridiculously rich and good.

Through a combination of crazy summer scheduling and great, good fortune, after this evening's dinner, I will have been to Corduroy 3 times in the last week. Not only has the food been wonderful, but the welcome, service and warm atmosphere (and the lack of an audible "You again?" comment) have been terrific. I'm sure everyone is counting down to the upcoming break (and possibly some cucas87-free moments), but I've been loving every moment of my Corduroy evenings. Thank you all.

My wife and I joined a friend last night at Corduroy. Rissa was very friendly and Ferhat went out of his way to wash off a soothie that our 8 month old had dropped on the floor.

Had the Corn Soup, Steak, and Hazelnut kitkat bars. Wonderful meal. My wife had the Beet salad, steak, and peach tart. Our friend had the corn soup, scallops, and the blueberry tart.

Everything was excellent and made our 2nd venture out to this restaurant well worth the trip from suburbia into the city. This was the 2nd best steak I have had at a restaurant in the DC area (best still goes to Mr. Landrum), but it was very surprising. The scallops looked amazing. I liked the parsnip soup (from our 1st visit) better than the corn, but the corn was still excellent.

Heard from a friend who dined during RW: Corduroy had a lunch time bomb-scare. Although they had finished their meal and paid the check, there was still quite a bit of Sancerre in the ice bucket. Let's just say the wait staff demonstrated tremendous initative. Needless to say, she was impressed and plans to return.

Just had our first Corduroy experience tonight...

Over all- very precise service not too formal or stiff from Ferhat. Lots of fine technique on display. some truly outstanding dishes and a wine discovery. Very generous experience.

Big winners:

Amuse of chopped scallops with salt and fresh grated wasabi. Simply amazing. Briny, perfect start to the meal.

Lobster salad with basil oil and micro greens. Perfect balance.

Littorai Hirsch Vineyard Pinot 2001. I have heard of the winery but never tasted it before. Loved it. When I asked Ferhat about the wine his eyes lit up in a way that he needed not to say any more about it. Spice, rich, but with a leanness that so many cult Pinots lack. There were so many wother wines we could have had that seemed interesting. Our first wine, a Mont Lussnats from Ponsot, was not showing well tonight which is too bad. I like that wine: it is a very rare albino Pinot Noir exclusive to Ponsot and Henri Gouges.

Stip loin with yuzu salt. Just a taste from the chef. Not sure I would have wanted an entree sized portion as the beef was rich, but as a bite it was amazing.

Very good:

Lamb loin with mini ravioli... the elements were good on their own, but a nicer amalgamation as a plate.

Pork Belly summer style- a little stingy in texture, but with perfect flavors. Very good squash side.

Scallops with mashed potatoes. My cardiologist might not approve, but very clean and balanced dish. Chef Power gets great scallops. The mashed were creamy and buttery and silky smooth

Cauliflower soup with parmesan- I thought it too thick but Kay liked it a lot. Good flavors and a perfectly smooth texture.

Choclate tart with candied banana and chocolate gelato. The gelato is amazing. We are in the market for a gelato machine ourselves and I will buy one of these if I can afford it. The tart was, to me, over the top with choclate and richenss. If you cannot put over the top and chocolate in the same sentace you will love this.

There was some other stuff that might not have lived up to the level of these dishes, but they need not be detailed.

All in all a very nice experience indeed.

I did not pay so I cannot comment on the value, but our host seemed to think it a good value.

Dean,

Just two small corrections. I wouldn't call Littorai a cult pinot. It is a miniscule production pinot that Ted Lemon only sells on his mailing list and to restaurants that he chooses to sell them to. Lucky for you that Tom still has the 2001. I'm selling the '03s now. The Hirsch Vineyard comes to about 200 cases. I remember buying Theriot Vineyard pinot from him when he made 40 cases of it. Domaine Ponsot's Mont Luisants Premier Cru is generally believed to be pinot blanc, not the albino pinot noir that Gouges first cultivated for his NSG. I agree, I've had good Ponsots and less than good ones.

Mark

sorry for the sloppy writting.... I was not in any way trying to put Littorai in the cult class... Most cult wines are overly extracted and flabby for my tastes. I was trying to contrast the terroir driven approach on this fine wine.

As to the Morey St Denis.... thanks for the info. I always heard that is was planted from grafts from Gouges. In any case, the wine was not what I expected from past vintages. Not off, just not as interesting.

We visited Corduroy in one of our first foodie outings, August RW of...2004? 2005? I cannot remember, but considering I walked 14 blocks in my sprain-your-ankle-more-often-than-not heels, it must have been 2005.

My other of the sig type had the buffalo mozzarella cloud appetizer to start, and since I don't remember my meal he clearly won that round. Our entrees were both good, his was some sort of melt in your mouth dish with pasta on the side, so he won the next round as well. But when I didn't know what I wanted for dessert and the waiter said "You want the chocolate bars" -- let us just say that I won the dessert round. His lemon tart just couldn't hold up. We're still talking about those chocolate bars -- 2 years later.

you should try the bluefish and cauliflower soup

If that's the bluefish with tomatoes that was being served earlier this summer, yes, yes you should try it. If it isn't, you should probably try it anyway. I've had two very tasty meals at Corduroy where I had an oily fish (the first was sardines, the second was bluefish), and I have loved every bite of them. It tastes like fish; wonderfully fresh, expertly prepared fish. The way fish should taste.

(I'll stop gushing now.)

Domaine Ponsot's Mont Luisants Premier Cru is generally believed to be pinot blanc, not the albino pinot noir that Gouges first cultivated for his NSG. I agree, I've had good Ponsots and less than good ones.

I spoke to Olivier from Vineyard Brands yesterday at a trade tasting and he said that the vines are old Aligote. I alos looked on the Ponsot site and could not find anything specific.

Many tried. Yet many more talked. Only one was chosen.

Last Saturday, my aversion to mashed potatoes has been finally broken as I tucked into a plate of scallops on garlic, you guessed it, pommes mousseline, and chardonnay sauce. This was the first time I tried the famed scallops as it's not easy holding self back from lamb, and this time turning away from tried and true didn't bring any regrets. Luscious scallop flesh, just sweet enough, just firm enough, and so not enough to be shared. Said mashed potatoes were wiped clean from the plate along with the sauce. Shows you that talent and skill can turn the most stubborn around by making the previously revolting into the delectable.

Mind you, I still love the lamb. But we'll catch up later.

Corduroy will host a Wine Dinner on Wednesday October 4th at 7 PM. Tom Power will be cooking hearty bistro fare to match Jeffrey M. Davies Wine Selections from the Languedoc and Bordeaux.

This dinner is a great value at $65 for food and wine. Please call us soon if you will be able to attend, the dinner is this Wednesday. 202.589.0699

- Scallop with Fresh Japanese Wasabi,

Rilliette of Sardine,

Sunset Beach Oyster Shooter,

Chateau de la Negly La Brisse Marine Blanc 2004

- Confit of Duck with Tarbais Beans,

Chateau de la Negly La Cote Rouge 2003

- Niman Ranch Pork Belly with Meaux Mustard Sauce,

Chateau de la Negly La Falaise Rouge 2003

- Braised Beef Cheek with Celeriac,

Chateau Gree Larogue , Bordeaux Superior 2001

Chateau Valmengaux , Bordeaux Superior 2003

- Selection of Cheeses

* $65 per person excluding tax and gratuity , credit card information is required for reservations.

Corduroy is located at:

1201 K Street, NW

Washington, DC 20005

Phone: 202.589.0699

Fax: 202.589.0688

Corduroy will host a Wine Dinner on Wednesday October 4th at 7 PM. Tom Power will be cooking hearty bistro fare to match Jeffrey M. Davies Wine Selections from the Languedoc and Bordeaux.

This dinner is a great value at $65 for food and wine. Please call us soon if you will be able to attend, the dinner is this Wednesday. 202.589.0699

- Scallop with Fresh Japanese Wasabi,

Rilliette of Sardine,

Sunset Beach Oyster Shooter,

Chateau de la Negly La Brisse Marine Blanc 2004

- Confit of Duck with Tarbais Beans,

Chateau de la Negly La Cote Rouge 2003

- Niman Ranch Pork Belly with Meaux Mustard Sauce,

Chateau de la Negly La Falaise Rouge 2003

- Braised Beef Cheek with Celeriac,

Chateau Gree Larogue , Bordeaux Superior 2001

Chateau Valmengaux , Bordeaux Superior 2003

- Selection of Cheeses

* $65 per person excluding tax and gratuity , credit card information is required for reservations.

<BURP>

A wonderful evening and a delicious meal. The sardine rilliette was delicious and I generally dislike sardines. Very nicely balanced with the taste of the sardines restrained beautifully. The duck confit was probably the biggest hit of the evening. Over the course of the last couple of years, I've lost count of all the different animal cheeks that I've eaten from Tom's kitchen, but I was more than happy to add the beef cheeks to this list.

On the wine front, I think the consensus winner was the Negly "La Cote Rouge". Rustic and earthy, it was right up my alley. The Gree Larogue from the Right Bank and the Negly "La Brisse Marine Blanc" (Marsanne-Rousanne blend with Bourboulenc) were my other favorites.