Rustico, A Neighborhood Restaurant Group Chain in North Alexandria and Ballston

Frank's menu will finally start rolling out in pieces this week. We did an extensive tasting yesterday and were extremely pleased with Frank's efforts!

As for the duck confit pizza--You can count on the fact that any current menu item that gets replaced will be replaced by something that is better.

A southbound Amtrak train leaves Washington's Union Station at 6:30 p.m. By the time it crosses the bridge into Virginia, it's traveling at 60 miles per hour en route to its first stop in Alexandria before continuing on its path deep into Dixie. Meanwhile, at 6:42, a northbound Amtrak train leaves the station in Alexandria bound for its next stop at Washington's Union Station. Someone, however, has been too busy reading donrockwell.com on the job and forgets to adjust the track switches properly. If the northbound train is up to 45 miles per hour by the time this train wreck occurs, where will the twisted wreckage end up?

That's right. All over the new menu at Rustico.

Granted, I'm an idiot when it comes to things more complicated than Tom and Jerry, but even reading the menu (and I'm referring in particular to the "menu mosaics") is a challenge more puzzling than a Rubik's Cube. I stared at that thing trying to figure it out even after my dinner companions placed an order for the table and after our waiter explained it. Note to menu writer: See those squares over there? Go to the one labeled "One" and write that menu again. I'm not talking about the food quality here (which I can't say is worth raving about, but it's a brand new menu and it'll probably take time to get into groove) but even with all of its outrageously false, bullshit erotica, the menu writing at Posh is at least understandable. I want to read a menu and at least have an inkling of what I'm going to get. Please.

Now, the whole menu hasn't turned over yet. The entrees are the same and the pizzas are still the same. We didn't dive into any of the new starters. So here's what we did go for. There's this mosaic thing, which is a hodgepodge of PS7-like concept tastes that you can order individually or as a flight and they're matched with certain beers (although you couldn't be sure from the menu which beer in the flight accompanies which pretty nibble). Air Dry Beef. Butters and Toasts. Salted Potatoes. Soup. I don't recall the rest. And what I finally figured out was that these are the supposed categories and there are three preparations of each category. Tuna! Yes, there was a tuna one, too. Well, nothing rocked my world in any way. There was a tuna carpaccio that came with a congealed butter sauce. Or was that the citrus jam?

Again, we didn't have any starters, but I'm just thrilled about the idea of showing up there with the boys for the big game and, pints in hand, we dive into a nice plate of chicken liver terrine. (Except there's always gonna be one of those buddies who hates the idea of liver and has to buck the trend and go for that plate of octopus. I don't know why I hang out with folks like that.)

Rustico's new menu concept is now a bunch of hoity-toity, artsy-fartsy concept plates, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (when executed properly) but is SO FREAKIN' MISPLACED at this particular venue. I do not want to nibble on a little plate of pita wedges with a dainty crock of anchovy spread at the bar at Rustico. This is (was?) a place about beer. And I should add that their beerworks has been going like gangbusters since Greg came on board. But little crocks of "butters and toasts?" I've got a pint of porter in my hand. I want an elk chop! A big elk chop with the beer incorporated in the wild mushroom sauce! I don't want Old Chatham camembert (a superb cheese, mind you) fondue.

Has anyone here ever have the chance to eat at Henry's End in Brooklyn? Hearty food. Great beers. (Although I recall beers were an important part of their concept 20 years ago). They had Sam Smith's and elk chops! These mosaics and appetizers are so far out of place it's laughable. But I do want to point out some possibility where this could work. Keep these pretentious, arty dishes to the dining room if you're looking to go all fancy schmancy. And then create a menu in the bar area that fits the setting. All those beer taps, high tables, flat screen televisions, the fireplace (I'm still cringing trying to figure out how even the servers aren't embarrassed to be serving these "little whims" in such a setting) are crying out for some quality BAR FOOD. Even though they suck harder than James Dyson and David Oreck with Hoovers stuck to their crotch, RFD seems to have a better understanding of food that incorporates beer.

So let's have two restaurants here. Keep Rustico in the dining room, and then let's have Rusty's in the front bar area, with some really good takes on traditional pub food. Yes, I'm talking shepherd's pie, meatloaf, mac and cheese, a hearty chili, etc. It can't be that difficult to figure out how to put a cool take on pub food and keep it hearty rather than arty. And Rusty's would be crazy to even think about fucking with the pizzas. The inconsistency issues I found last year seem to have gone away. They're good pizzas for a great beer bar. The last thing Rusty's needs to do is start putting thai peanut chicken on there.

Oh, and that quote at the bottom of the menu? What the hell does that mean? Get rid of that before you embarrass yourselves.

(As a number of folks know) this message was brought to you by someone who prefers to spend lots of time under Rustico's roof and wants to see it succeed.

CrescentFresh – As always, knew we’d get an honest and candid response to the new menu from you. We appreciate you offering your feedback. First, with the positives… thanks for the kudos on the beer program. Greg, John and company have really busted their humps trying to make Rustico’s program second to none. With 280 bottles currently listed, 30 drafts and the ever-popular real ale program along with a soon-to-be-launched “reserve list” of seldom seen products, we feel we’re getting there. Similarly, I am happy you’ve noticed the improvements with our pizzas. Chef Morales has been in the house a short period of time and we feel he quickly put his stamp on the restaurant before even touching the menu by making sure the first pizza of the day looked and tasted the same as the last pizza at the end of the night.

Now with regard to your other thoughts and observations… As you noted, we are transitioning from our old menu to Chef’s new offerings. The formatting of the menu you saw last night reflected that transition and the menu has been getting printed on a daily basis in an effort to stay current. With feedback such as yours, navigating the menu will get much easier quickly. We thought listing the suggested beer pairing directly across from the menu item would be self-explanatory, but after reading your comments and then taking another look at the menu, it became clear while we knew what this meant, someone looking at the menu for the first time could be feeling left in the dark.

To your comments about the food, please be patient! Chef Morales has proven in short order to be responsive to feedback and inspired by the owners’ visions of what Rustico was always intended to be – a celebration of the marriage of great beer with simply prepared foods of the highest quality ingredients. In fact, the mosaic of plates was an homage to and inspired by the mosaic artwork that greeted Chef (and all of our guests) the first time he walked through our doors.

While we obviously are becoming a destination for the self-anointed “beer geeks”, it also has become apparent in our first year through both our beer sales (our ten best sellers include PBR, Miller Lite, Bud Light, Heineken, Peroni, Yuengling, Budweiser and Amstel Light) and truly surprising wine sales that just as many folks (if not more) are coming to Rustico without any real interest in the wide world of beer. These are the same people who have indicated to us our previous menus did not have enough options and too many of the options were heavy comfort foods.

I think you’ll be happy with the finalized menu. While I don’t know if Chef has plans to bring in Elk, there is a beautifully seasoned NY strip steak that will fill any stomach. The trio of pork offerings – Fried pork belly with grits, Crispy pigs feet with chickpeas and a Virginia ham and aged cheddar sandwich is truly bar food to beat the band. The salted potatoes you mentioned are simply an updated version of the traditional potato skin and twice-baked potatoes. There will continue to be a house mac and cheese and one of the best burgers in the area.

Please know our menu (and Rustico as a concept for that matter) is an ever-evolving work in progress. The path we’ve chosen is, we’ll be the first to admit, uncharted territory. Having said that, in talking with our regulars who attend our beer dinners and in conversations we have had with industry champions of beer and food like Garrett Oliver and Bill Covaleski, we have an opportunity to truly raise the bar for what customers can and should expect when pairing beer with food. I’m sorry we weren’t able to offer some clearer explanation for you last night. My preference certainly would have been for Greg or Tim, your server, or Jon, the manager on duty last night, to have answered your issues and concerns directly over you having left so obviously frustrated. Give us some time – we’re going to win you over!

Every menu item that I have had at Rustico has been wonderful. The pizza "bombs", the dips, the chicken legs, all the way down to the Heineken and other libations have either met or exceeded my expectations. I am certain with Chris(Pizzaandbrew) and Frank manning the ship there will be greater things to come. And I can't leave this comment without throwing a shoutout to Bentley, you are working with a company that will take you in many different and wonderful directions...but you already know...

CresentFresh,

Thanks for not insulting anyone's spouses, mothers or children with that last rant! :o

Posts like this always remind me that everyone's personal tastes are subjective. We're very proud of the food going out of Rustico's kitchen and are happy with the direction we are headed. We certainly appreciated your comments and have made many changes due to customer feedback since the restaurant's inception. That is, in fact, how we make changes at all of our properties...we listen to our guests and respond quickly!

However, I must ask how much time it takes you to write such a mean-spirited "review"? Do the words fly onto the webpage with no hesitation or do you type a paragraph, deem it "Not evil or sassy enough..it didn't make me giggle the way I normally do.", delete it and keep trying again for a few hours? Enquiring minds want to know...

BTW, I can't wait to review your Elk steak restaurant I hear you're rolling out. Please put me on the invite list for the opening party. (I'll just go with MelGold if you don't send me a personal invite.) :lol:

One man's personal and mean-spirited attack is another's analytic and passionate criticism.

The only personal attack I see is in your post.

Do you always react by attacking your critics? Enquiring minds want to know...

I've actually met CrescentFresh a couple of times and respect (and in a few particular cases, agree with) his opinion. I'm allowed to take some light-hearted jabs if I want to, right? That's what the smiley-face icons are for--check 'em out.

I understand that, of course. I'm sure CrescentFresh is happy that you've defended his honor. Point taken--now let's move on, shall we? :o I'm working the lunch shift today at Rustico if anyone wants to drop by and say hi!

I was there for lunch yesterday. My experiences have been much better on the bar side of Rustico than on the restaurant side. Our server was overwhelmed with two large parties and our food was slow in coming out and cold on arrival. No one checked on us after it arrived, even though we tried to get some attention (from anyone, no one would look in our direction). We've eaten on the restaurant side twice and the bar side twice. I'm much happier in the bar - both in terms of service and atmosphere. Even thought the kitchen is the same, I've had two completely different experiences depending on where I was sitting. Right now, the biggest lure for me to Rustico is the beer, not the food.

We hate to hear things like that ohstate. I certainly apologize for the lack of good service we pride ourselves on. Please ask for Chris or myself the next time you come in, so we ensure you have a more positive experience.

As I also remind anyone who has a complaint about any restaurant, please ask (the host, your server, a busser, etc.) for a manager when problem(s) occur, so they can handle things as they happen. It's always much more pleasant to be able to talk face-to-face with any guest rather than answering emails, blogs or phone calls. :o

Chef's spring menu debuted this week. New mosaics include calzones!!! Spring pizza features asparagus, English peas, ramps and boursin.

We've got the latest in our beer dinner series at Tallula's EatBar on Tuesday, May 8th with Allagash brewer/president Rob Tod. Rob will be joining us at Rustico the following night for a glassware giveaway

Currently on the beer engine - Victory Hop Wallop, on deck - Victory Hop Devil, in the hole - Bell's Two Hearted, Brooklyn East India Pale Ale

I always loved the idea of Rustico, but was really disappointed with its execution. My wife dislike bordered on distain, so it was a hard sell to get her to go back even though I told her there was a new chef and the reviews of the food were improving. Well, Friday night left us with few options after an evening of rather fruitful shopping at Pentagon City, so I suggested that we give Rustico another try. Amazingly, she agreed.

We started with the Air Dried Beef Mosaic, and the matching beers. They were all very good, but the standout was the beef with strawberry and balsamic, and it matched beautifully with the Guinness. We followed this up with a Basil and Buffalo Mozzarella pizza. This is was a well made pie, and it is the sort of thing that I had previously wished that Rustico would have had on their menu.

I am very happy with the improvements at Rustico, and I hope that they continue. I just wish that they could do something about the noise.

Here's the latest Rustico-sponsored beer dinner set for EatBar (2761 Washington Blvd) on Tuesday, May 8th at 7:30. Rob Tod, brewer/owner of Allagash will be joining us. He'll also be at Rustico the following night for a glassware giveaway. $85/person covers tax and gratuity. If you're interested, call Chris at Rustico 703 224 5051

Allagash Hugh Malone

TBD

Allagash White

House Preserved Tuna with Curly Endive, Arbequina Olives, Coddled Egg

Allagash Tripel

Allagash Tripel Welsh Rarebit, Asparagus, Baby Greens

Allagash Four

Braised Pork Belly, Smoked Scallops, Creamy Corn

Allagash Curieux

Butter Poached Pineland Farms Sirloin, Ricotta & Mascarpone Ravioli

Allagash Interlude

Hudson Valley Foie Gras with Strawberries Three Ways

Hadn't been to Rustico in a few months so decided to stop by on Friday night. The new mosaic menu looked pretty interesting and I'm sure that we'll be back to try more. As it were, I went in craving a burger, so that's what I got. The wife decided to get the pork mosaic.

It took a while for our meals to arrive, but were in no hurry and both our waitress and a manager stopped by to apologize, so we didn't really care.

My burger was pretty good. Perfectly cooked medium rare and well-seasoned. The bun got a little too much char on the grill but no big deal. The fries, on the other hand, were close to a disaster. The smaller fellas were nice and crisp, but the longer ones were soggy, limp and merely warm. I didn't even come close to finishing them, which is an absolute rarity for my fat ass.

The pork mosaic was great. It came with a ham and cheese sandwich, pork belly over creamy grits and a sort of crab-cake-like trotter thing. The only non-winner of the bunch was the trotter thing. While not bad, it tasted mostly of parsely. The sandwich was pretty good, but the pork belly was absolutely fantastic. Perfectly cooked and plated over a creamy peppery load of grits. All in all, a fantastic deal at $15.

We look forward to trying the other small plate offerings which looked pretty interesting. I think that the air-dried beef selection, mentioned above, will be our next sample.

Rustico Restaurant Presents

A Special Evening with

Alan De Laet, owner of the Huyghe Brewery (makers of Delirium, Floris)

Chef Frank Morales’ pairs his food with beers from the Huyghe portfolio

Monday June 4, 2007

Three Course Dinner $58 (tax and gratuity included)

Reservations available throughout the evening

From 6:30 to 9:30

First Course

Louisiana Crawfish Saucisse

Spiced Summer Squash

Delirium Nocturnum

Second Course

Roasted Pork Loin

Bundles of Green and Yellow Beans

Colorado Clover-Honey Brown Butter

Delirium Tremens

Third Course

American Artisanal Cheeses from

Chapel Creamery, Easton, MD

Everona Dairy, Rapahana, VA

Coach Farms, Hudson Valley, NY

Floris Wit-Blanche

Apparently some new items on the menu - Beersicles - are generating trouble (and press coverage) for the restaurant.

Watch this

I can't seem to see this. However, Rustico and its Beersicles was mentioned on Stephanie Miller's radio show yesterday. ;)

Apparently some new items on the menu - Beersicles - are generating trouble (and press coverage) for the restaurant.

Oh yeah, I'm in a research job where I have seen the news releases popping up from the abstinence enforcement crowd that is having heart attacks over beer that is delivered in a non-labeled format (namely, the 'sicle itself).

On an already steamy at 9:30 a.m. day like this, I think everyone could use a treat like that. ;)

Nothing will get the VA ABC stirred up quicker than the PR rep for the restaurant saying "We're going ahead with the beersicles anyway". Ouch! Either way, I hope they're still selling them. They sound great! (I'd be interested to find out if Rustico sustained a fine or anything from this.)

Update: Heard from the lovely Amber Pfau and found out there hasn't been a fine and they are still currently serving them. Sorry Amber, I should have just called you but I figured you were getting slammed with phone calls already. ;)

It appears that Rusitco intends to continue pushing the pops.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...467.html?sub=AR

The point at the end of the article about other items being made with beer hits the nail on the head. Would the douchebags from the VA ABC cite a restaurant for using beer in a braise, for instance?

Is it even possible to get loaded on beersicles? Only if you'd be willing to suffer a hell of an ice cream headache and possibly frost-bitten lips.

Idiots... ;)

"Amber Pfau, a spokeswoman for the restaurant, said last week that the restaurant's beer manager, Greg Engert, was researching ways to ensure that the beer pops comply with Virginia regulations. The products are 100 percent frozen beer; Pfau said they might change the recipe or alter how the pops are served to bring them into compliance."

I was under the impression that beer pops had been been altered so that they are in compliance with ABC regs last weekend-- that there's an actual recipe in terms of adding fruit to the raspberry or whatever, and it's not just straight pour and freeze.

"Amber Pfau, a spokeswoman for the restaurant, said last week that the restaurant's beer manager, Greg Engert, was researching ways to ensure that the beer pops comply with Virginia regulations. The products are 100 percent frozen beer; Pfau said they might change the recipe or alter how the pops are served to bring them into compliance."

I was under the impression that beer pops had been been altered so that they are in compliance with ABC regs last weekend-- that there's an actual recipe in terms of adding fruit to the raspberry or whatever, and it's not just straight pour and freeze.

Your impression was correct Melissa! Consider the beer to be a food ingredient, not the focal point, in Chef's Brew Pops. Fresh fruit is mixed with the beer and a couple other secret ingredients, and through the cooking process, the excess water and alcohol are removed to render a frozen treat with an intense Fruit flavor that is perfect during these hot and humid days of summer. Bring your ID though... we are only serving these to "kids" 21 and over!

Hit up Rustico again a week ago, and it continues to be hit-or-miss.

First off, while I actually really like the mosaic idea and had a couple very good ones, the pricing scheme drives me nuts. I wanted to mix and match, but I found myself bitter that I had to pay a penalty for it - taking off $4-$6 for getting all 3 feels like you're really getting taken for a ride when you mix them. Not everyone shows up with a party of 4 - I'm not typically all that excited to eat 3 pot pies by myself if my somewhat-vegetarian date isn't interested. I've spoken to 4 people since who have agreed that it bothered them to the point that the didn't order any.

The ones I got, however, were great. The cheddar and ale was a little strong but good. The tuna was perfect and sauced well. The ham and cheese was great if a little small, even for a mosaic. And the beer pairings helped me pick a couple interesting beers I might not have otherwise chosen, since the food they were paired with gave me an idea of what to expect.

The veggie pizza my date got, however, was not good by any measure. Moderately warm on delivery, it was so thinly covered that patches of bare bread could be seen in the middle of the pizza, and the line from the ladle that put the sauce on could be clearly seen, stopping 3 inches before the crust. I forget which pizza this was - I remember it was an odd combination of ingredients and it has since been removed from the menu. It was not so much pizza as it was bread with a tiny bit of sauce and a sprinkle of toppings. I'm never one to complain at a restaurant, and because I frequent Rustico's I gave them a pass, but we were close to sending it back.

In my opinion, and that of many of my local friends in Old Town, Rustico is close but still not there yet. Consistency is still an issue, and the pricing scheme just seems odd on the mosaics. But when it's good, it's great - and the beer is unreal. I'm keeping the faith...

I'm never one to complain at a restaurant, and because I frequent Rustico's I gave them a pass, but we were close to sending it back.

DCDeac - BECAUSE you frequent Rustico, we count on you for your feedback even more than the customer in for the occasional visit. I'd much rather have the opportunity to fix a mistake and have you leave happy than to have you leave hungry and disappointed. While I want any customer to offer me their honest opinion - good or bad, the words of those we see regularly truly resonates with an even greater sense of importance.

Please know with regards to the pricing of the mosaics, as the last Rockwell contributor pointed out, we have over 60 menu items - trying to appeal to a large dining room and a just-as-large bar. The increase in pricing for mixing and matching is an effort to keep at bay the chaos that would ensue when trying to translate and expedite this process through multiple languages when trying to feed in excess of 300 customers on any given evening. It certainly isn't meant as a punishment. I hope this may offer some perspective if not a valid explanation.

DCDeac - BECAUSE you frequent Rustico, we count on you for your feedback even more than the customer in for the occasional visit. I'd much rather have the opportunity to fix a mistake and have you leave happy than to have you leave hungry and disappointed. While I want any customer to offer me their honest opinion - good or bad, the words of those we see regularly truly resonates with an even greater sense of importance.

Please know with regards to the pricing of the mosaics, as the last Rockwell contributor pointed out, we have over 60 menu items - trying to appeal to a large dining room and a just-as-large bar. The increase in pricing for mixing and matching is an effort to keep at bay the chaos that would ensue when trying to translate and expedite this process through multiple languages when trying to feed in excess of 300 customers on any given evening. It certainly isn't meant as a punishment. I hope this may offer some perspective if not a valid explanation.

Thanks for the response. And I'm a fan in general and always recommend Rustico to friends. "The increase in pricing for mixing and matching is an effort to keep at bay the chaos that would ensue when trying to translate and expedite this process through multiple languages." I thought about this comment for a while... Personally I think the answer is just to limit the menu to what you can handle translating and expediting on a given night, and make each one a dollar cheaper. But what do I know, they're probably flying out of the kitchen in 3's like crazy. Anyway, love the creativity and look forward to trying more of them - the next time I'm there with a bigger group of course...

Marc Fisher weighs in here.

Oktoberfest at Rustico, this Saturday, the 27th, noon-6pm, in the parking lot behind the restaurant

12 different taps, 12 different festbiers:

Hofbrau, Bell's, Victory, Dominion, Redhook, Left Hand, Sam Adams, Spaten, Harpoon, Clipper City, Otter Creek, Brooklyn

A 14-oz mug is $7, and refills are $5. 12-oz plastic fills are $5. For the smoke fans, there may be some Schlenkerla Rauch-Märzen as well, once the above kegs start kicking.

Other things: Root beer tap for the kids, all sorts of food from Rustico and the rest of the group (bratwurst, pulled pork sliders, bbq ribs, bacon-wrapped figs, the list goes on and on) cooked by the respective chefs (Anthony Chittum from Vermillion, Nathan Anda from Tallula, more whose names I don't know).

And the restaurant will be open during this time, in case you feel like sneaking away to have an Ondineke (!) on draft.

If you make it out there, say hi. If I wasn't working the fest, I'd be attending it anyway.

Ok, </plug>

Ok, so apparently the glassware/pricing is still in flux, but I am told that beers will be reasonably priced between $5-8. Also cooking: Will Artley from Evening Star Cafe as well as Rustico's own Frank Morales. Feel free to PM as we get closer if you want more info. I'll shut up now :blink:

So, who's going with me? "Festivus for the rest of us!" :(

FestivusPosterFlattened.jpg

Festivus 2007

Bigger, Better and More Feats of Strength!

Tuesday, December 4

A celebratory winter homage to the holiday season. Beer specials, t-shirts, give-aways and more to the first few hundred in attendance.

On tap will be:

Bell's Winter White

Harpoon Winter Warmer

Tröegs Mad Elf

Delirium Noël

Come early - we're expecting a big crowd

We're doing a beer dinner next Wednesday, March 19th, with Eric Wallace, President and Co-Founder of Left Hand Brewing (from Longmont, CO, sorta between Denver and Fort Collins). $69/pp. Menu:

Grilled Organic Asparagus with lemongrass hollandaise (Left Hand Warrior IPA)

Blue Crab Nage with English peas & sweet pea foam (Left Hand Deep Cover)

Hop-Crusted Colorado Lamb Loin with pepper butter & béarnaise relish (Left Hand Smoked Goosinator Doppelbock)

Bayley Hazen Blue Cheese with black pepper biscuits & Widdershins mustard (Left Hand Oak - Aged Widdershins Barley Wine)

Butterscotched Granny Smith Apple Lollipops (Left Hand Milk Stout)

Should be a good one, Left Hand doesn't come out this way very often, and a couple of those beers are completely new to the area. As always, details subject to change, call 703-224-5051 for more info.

[/plug]

Paulaner Munich Lager (Bavaria, Germany)

Geary's Hampshire Special Ale (Portland, ME)

Gouden Carolus Classic (Mechelen, Belgium)

Sierra Nevada ESB (Early Spring Beer) Chico, CA)

Boont Amber Ale (Boonville, CA)

Lagunitas Pils (Petaluma, CA)

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (Chico, CA)

Mojo IPA (Boulder, CO)

Bell's Lager (Comstock, MI)

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout (Boonville, CA)

Unibroue Maudite (Chambly, Quebec, Canada)

Fuller's ESB (London, England)

St. Bernadus Wit (Watou, Belgium)

Left Hand Milk Stout (Longmont, CO)

Saxo Belgian Blond Ale (Falmignoul, Belgium)

Avery India Pale Ale (Boulder, CO)

Bayerischer Bahnhof Berliner Style Weisse (Leipzig, Germany)

Grimbergen Blonde (Alken, Belgium)

Original Flag Porter (Durham, England)

Foret (Tourpes, Belgium)

De Dolle Brouwers Special Extra Export Stout (Esen, Belgium)

Duchesse de Bourgogne (Vichte, Belgium)

How'd I do? ;):)

I just called trying to make a reservation on Sat night for a family of 4 as my son is flying home from college.

No reservations :P

Any other suggestions.. Rustico looked great until I was told they don't accept reservations after 6pm. So if I was a senior citizen or family with infants I would be OK.

Obama2.jpg

Another glassware giveaway event, this time with 4 Amurrica/Obama themed beers:

Wolaver's Organic Pat Leavy's All-American Ale - I'm pumped to try this: the first organic beer made with American-grown organic hops (most organic hops are grown in NZ)

Kona Pipeline Porter - Obama is from Hawaii!

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout - Nothing more American than extreme beers, and this reigns supreme as the extremest.

Avery Ale to the Chief - A "Presidential Pale Ale" that drinks like a Double IPA.

Another glassware giveaway event, this time with 4 Amurrica/Obama themed beers:

Wolaver's Organic Pat Leavy's All-American Ale - I'm pumped to try this: the first organic beer made with American-grown organic hops (most organic hops are grown in NZ)

Kona Pipeline Porter - Obama is from Hawaii!

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout - Nothing more American than extreme beers, and this reigns supreme as the extremest.

Avery Ale to the Chief - A "Presidential Pale Ale" that drinks like a Double IPA.

Sounds like fun!

Now ... when are they opening ChurchKey so I can get a little of this action closer to home? :P

I believe the target is now March, but I'm not promising anything :P

I think that is even being generous. I walked by tonight and the space looks no different inside than it did this time last year. So disappointed that progress has been at a snail's pace, I remember looking forward to this place opening in September! What's the delay?

Having missed ferment everything's sendoff at The Big Hunt, I stopped into Rustico last night to say goodbye. The beers were phenomenal, as always (including a perfect Smuttynose IPA from cask), with both ferment everything and the talented Greg Engert manning the bar.

An Italian Sausage Pizza ($14), was as good as any I've had here, with homemade sausage, peppers, mozzarella, and tomato sauce. Even better was the Wood-Grilled Burger with Vermont Cheddar ($12, bacon $2, mushrooms $2), a big, irregular, ten-ounce burger cooked to a perfect medium-rare and served on homemade pan bread with a mountain of malted fries on the side - make sure to ask for an extra ramekin of smoked ketchup. "When it's good, it's really good," ferment everything told me, and he was right.

A couple of suggestions for Rustico: I would nix the cold pan bread (essentially focaccia) with the burger - it lacked a firm top layer, and when you picked it up, it became something of a mushy crumble. Also, for the pizza, I'd avoid the "peck of pickled peppers" description, which almost stopped me from ordering that pie (nobody wants a vinegary taste on their pizza) - but I'm glad I ordered it, because the pickling in the peppers was barely discernible. These are both nitpicks and in no way would prevent me from ordering either of these again.

A very good night for a very crowded Rustico.

Cheers Eric,

Rocks.

Having missed ferment everything's sendoff at The Big Hunt, I stopped into Rustico last night to say goodbye. The beers were phenomenal, as always (including a perfect Smuttynose IPA from cask), with both ferment everything and the talented Greg Engert manning the bar.

An Italian Sausage Pizza ($14), was as good as any I've had here, with homemade sausage, peppers, mozzarella, and tomato sauce. Even better was the Wood-Grilled Burger with Vermont Cheddar ($12, bacon $2, mushrooms $2), a big, irregular, ten-ounce burger cooked to a perfect medium-rare and served on homemade pan bread with a mountain of malted fries on the side - make sure to ask for an extra ramekin of smoked ketchup. "When it's good, it's really good," ferment everything told me, and he was right.

A couple of suggestions for Rustico: I would nix the cold pan bread (essentially focaccia) with the burger - it lacked a firm top layer, and when you picked it up, it became something of a mushy crumble. Also, for the pizza, I'd avoid the "peck of pickled peppers" description, which almost stopped me from ordering that pie (nobody wants a vinegary taste on their pizza) - but I'm glad I ordered it, because the pickling in the peppers was barely discernible. These are both nitpicks and in no way would prevent me from ordering either of these again.

A very good night for a very crowded Rustico.

Cheers Eric,

Rocks.

I know I've made reference to a recent meal at Rustico here, but forgot to post in this thread. Don, I agree about the pan bread ersatz bun for the burger. The burger is juicy and wonderful. IMHO-give it a proper bun.

The chicken liver pate was delicious, and my pork ragu was inspirational. So inspirational, that I made a decent rendition of it myself from the same source: Babes in the Wood.

http://houndstoothgourmet.com/ragu-not-the-stuff-in-a-jar/

As I noted earlier-Rustico is an extremely popular neighborhood (and beyond) joint, and they handle the crowds with aplomb.

eta: the fries are fantastic!