Central, 11th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue Downtown - Executive Chef Nick Johnson and Chef de Cuisine Sean Mulcahy

After reviewing 500+ documents over a span of 11 hours and feeling cross-eyed, I decided to treat myself and drag a poor co-worker along for the ride. My first time was not disappointing. The rain added to the ambiance of the sepia decor of Central. For the klutz like me, please, please watch out for the clear, nicely polished glass wall right after entering -- I almost smacked right into it upon entering and exiting. I am unsure if this partition is new, but nonetheless, I am not surprised by my inabilities to recognize plain-viewed obstacles.

At 9:30pm, the bar was packed upon its reopening, and the dining room was pretty filled. Did not explore beyond the bar, but its mood and structure appeared straight out of Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergére -- the three angled mirror panels created wide, infinite spaces and views that resembled this painting so well.

Was extremely privileged to shake the hands of both Chef Michel Richard and Carl Halvorson, while learning about the tidbit construction work done during the break (it is beautiful).

Service was wonderfully executed by Tom (as well as Trace, who helmed my end of the bar), who I hope will enjoy his new adventure and experiences soon. Tom was great in every aspect. Split the Cerviche and Kit Kat Bar with my co-worker, while enjoying the half-pint of Blusser. The cerviche was a bit too acidic for me, but otherwise balanced, and the bread that accompanied it was the best pieces of bread I've had in a LONG time. The crust was crisp, not heavy, while the bread was light and chewy. There's just nothing else to say about the Kit Kat bar that hasn't been said already, other than WOW. I also really enjoyed watching Mr. Ulysses behind the bar in a *sharp* pink tie, tweaking a Fall, Venetian cocktail, which according to Tom, had a nice kick to it. Guess you'll all have to find out soon.

Ended the night with a yummy, thick pint of Stone Smoked Porter and a nice walk in the misty rain. Can't get more '30's cinema than this. What a lovely Friday evening, even if it was alone in the end.

What happened to the Gougeres?? It doesn't seem right for these to not be on the menu.

Filet Mignon Tartare was a worthy replacement, maybe one of the best versions I have ever had of the dish. Unfortunately, everything else fell short. The Fried Chicken was over breaded and oversalted (two things I never thought I would say about fried chicken) and the Capital Chicken Salad was miserably overdressed, resembling cole slaw more than a salad. The worst renditions of both I have ever had here. Service was even off, which was a huge disappointment after the excellent treatment I have gotten here on all previous visits.

Hopefully today was an anomaly, this has been one of my favorite places downtown.

What happened to the Gougeres?? It doesn't seem right for these to not be on the menu.

Filet Mignon Tartare was a worthy replacement, maybe one of the best versions I have ever had of the dish. Unfortunately, everything else fell short. The Fried Chicken was over breaded and oversalted (two things I never thought I would say about fried chicken) and the Capital Chicken Salad was miserably overdressed, resembling cole slaw more than a salad. The worst renditions of both I have ever had here. Service was even off, which was a huge disappointment after the excellent treatment I have gotten here on all previous visits.

Hopefully today was an anomaly, this has been one of my favorite places downtown.

Gougeres are only on the dinner menu.

I guess I'm a little late getting on the Central bandwagon, buuuuuut...

From my glances at the menu and posts here throughout the year, I've interpreted Central to be all about comfort food taken to the next level, from mac and cheese to cassoulet. This was what I wanted, and this is what I got.

Comfort food is about more than just a sense of physical warmth and comfort: anyone who's seen Ratatouille knows what I'm talking about (i.e. being transported back to childhood, feeling good in the soul, etc. etc. etc.).

My first bite of the gougères (which, with apologies to Eric Cartman, I kept calling "Cheesy Poofs") just opened a floodgate. Growing up, going to school, I was obsessed with Better Cheddars. I could eat a box of them, savoring each bite like a tender yet passionate kiss. Biting into the Cheesy Poofs at Central released the precious gas inside: it was like breathing in the cheesy joy of my formative years.

Next up were the duck rillettes with faux gras. Eating them I had visions of sitting in a country farmhouse, surrounded by comfortably worn wooden beams, curled up with a good copy of Lord of the Rings by the fireside. Taking a scoop of the faux gras and the rillettes and heaping it on the toast provided was great. Popping into my mouth one of the pickled onions that came on the side was... I wouldn't call it a "holy shit" moment: it was more like a spiritual clarification. Like, "Oh. All these things in my mouth go together. I now completely understand musical harmony. Suddenly I have a deeper appreciation for Bizet."

Also on the table was the iceberg and blue cheese salad along with the burrata and tomato. Classic and delicious, but not awakening. Who's ever been awakened by a salad, anyway?

I had the braised beef cheeks, which brought to mind everything I love about braised beef: it tastes like Christmas!!!! The tagliatelle that came with it was the supporting but memorable and entirely show-stealing cast member to the beef's lead. I wish I'd asked what was in it!!!

The mashed potatoes under the fried chicken were sublime. I was dining with my mother and wife, and got to say, "Holy shit! Jordana! These are just like the mashed potatoes my mom used to make!!! The ones I've been telling you about all these years but that she never makes anymore! Mom, mom, aren't these just like it?!?! This is amazing and fantastic! Wow wow wow wow wow!!!" The chicken itself was moist and flavorful and delicious. The breading was light - a little too light, actually - I wanted more crunch.

My wife's lobster burger was everything I've heard about here. I have Happy in the Kitchen, and the request has been made for me to produce it at home. The fries that came with it were beautifully seasoned and who doesn't love homemade mayo? I would have liked to see a bit more crunchy-creamy in terms of texture, though. That's a minor thing - I still ate most of my wife's fries.

My mom didn't care for the brussel sprouts because she said they were too "bacony." Children and parents often don't see eye to eye, and the very concept of something having too much bacon to me just isn't in my realm of perception. Like infrared.

I was disappointed to hear that a number of the desserts had raisins. RAISINS. I'll eat just about anything, but raisins... no. I tried my mom's apple dandy which was warm and delicious and the apples had a nice crisp texture - but finding raisins in it was like getting kicked in the groin while kissing a beautiful woman.

The Kit-Kat Bar (aka Le Kit Cat aka Michel's Chocolate Bar) was every bit as good as when I had it at Citronelle.

The star of the dessert table was, and I know some people view chocolate desserts as "pedestrian," but the STAR was my wife's chocolate lava cake. Gooey without being runny or messy, rich and decadent without being overfilling. A perfect ratio of ice cream to chocolate. This was a great way to end things. If Mark or Ulysses reads this and care at all about improving my sex life, they'll tell me how it's made so I can do it at home. :lol:

Speaking of Ulysses, I've never been a big cocktail drinker, nor taken much advantage of some of the more brilliant mixologists in the city. I did, however, last night try the grape caipirinha. Talk about musical harmony! Just like how an explosive, volatile chemical can mix with a deadly poison gas to make salt, it's amazing how the ingredients in a finely made cocktail can come together to create something that is both delicately subtle in parts and yet powerfully moving in others. I now understand what's possible and see what the big deal is. I also had my first experience with absinthe. I am now converted!!!

So thank you to everyone at Central for an amazing experience. I am praying for a swift first snowfall so I can come back and transport myself to a cozy alpine getaway with the help of the cassoulet. Cheers.

PS - The bread was great! Moist and rustic.

PPS - The bathrooms were way cool.

PPPS - Chocolate lava cake... I want to take you to a secret underground cloning facility and make an unholy army of you so you can invade my stomach and create and empire of chocolaty goodness inside my body like a delicious parasite. I will then die happy by eating myself.

I just want to reiterate that the mussel chowder here is to die for. Out of this world. Creamy, but not in a "OMG I just drank a bottle of half and half" kind of way. Crisp vegetables, perfectly cooked mussels, and incredible flavor. I almost had to assault my SO w/ a utensil to get th bowl back.

Waitman & I had a couple of drinks there tonight. The ginger dacquari is just as good as I remembered (but I forgot to order it on the rocks) and Waitman's black pepper gin rickey was tasty. We went on to an Aviation cocktail (for me) and an Aviation martini. Nibbled on the faux gras (good, but no match for Mrs B's) and the duck rillettes, which had a flavor that neither of us could place. Frites were as usual. :lol:

Waitman & I had a couple of drinks there tonight. The ginger dacquari is just as good as I remembered (but I forgot to order it on the rocks) and Waitman's black pepper gin rickey was tasty. We went on to an Aviation cocktail (for me) and an Aviation martini. Nibbled on the faux gras (good, but no match for Mrs B's) and the duck rillettes, which had a flavor that neither of us could place. Frites were as usual. :lol:

Heather, you mixed rum and gin? You're a brave girl.

I must say I had a similar experience to Dan Cole's last night, especially with the mashed potatoes and the lava cake. The fried chicken reminded me a bit of tempura which wasn't quite what i was expecting, but the lamb shank with creamy corn polenta was rockin. and the polenta was every bit as good as the mashed potatoes. but if you haven't tried the pig's feet (pied du cochon), you're missing out. i suppose my down-right-country is coming out a bit, but it was an oh my god moment. i think this surpasses Thomas Keller's pig trotter's recipe...

I must say I had a similar experience to Mark's last night, especially with the mashed potatoes and the lava cake. The fried chicken reminded me a bit of tempura which wasn't quite what i was expecting, but the lamb shank with creamy corn polenta was rockin. and the polenta was every bit as good as the mashed potatoes. but if you haven't tried the pig's feet (pied du cochon), you're missing out. i suppose my down-right-country is coming out a bit, but it was an oh my god moment. i think this surpasses Thomas Keller's pig trotter's recipe...

I agree about the pied de cochon. Whoa. We recently went. Tried the chopped salad (very good, dressed with a light hand and great oil), frog legs (a triumph!), the lobster burger (which will ruin almost anyone's love of lobster rolls, most likely), the braised beef cheeks with tagliatelle (so beefy good, I thought the carrot puree and crisps were unnecessary) and the chocolate bar (very good, but I think the accompanying ice cream outshined it).

I agree about the pied de cochon. Whoa. We recently went. Tried the chopped salad (very good, dressed with a light hand and great oil), frog legs (a triumph!), the lobster burger (which will ruin almost anyone's love of lobster rolls, most likely), the braised beef cheeks with tagliatelle (so beefy good, I thought the carrot puree and crisps were unnecessary) and the chocolate bar (very good, but I think the accompanying ice cream outshined it).

How are the pig's feet prepared/served? I'm going tonight and am thinking about ordering them.

Well, I had every intention of going to my establishment and having one or two cocktails and going home. Little did I know (or did I) that it was half price wine night. So, a bottle and perhaps a few "touch ups" later, I find myself somehow going through my favorite economics blogs and then making my way here. So, I figured I have a full battery, might as well review Central.

Let me state a few ground rules. I am a grazer. I have conditioned, coerced, cajoled, pleaded with my dates, friends, and family that this is the way to eat. I eat multiple time a day. I always eat small portions. When I am at a restaurant, I always share food and I always order multiple dishes. That being said, here is the review.

Central is one of my go to places. They have convenient valet parking and it is cheap relative to nearby locales. I sit at the far end of the bar near the wine rack. I find the dining room too open and too noisy. I request Tracy as my bartender (he understands and accommodates my grazing habits).

The following assumes dinner for two. I first order a cocktail (no need for a menu yet; I dont come to a restaurant to rush and leave). I never order everythng at once. I now order a nice bottle of wine and a half dozen oysters and ask for the bread. The wine is fairly priced, the oysters fresh, and the bread (oh the butter so good). Next, is a goat cheese salad which Tracy is kind enoug to split. Depending on how things are going, another bottle of wine is now in order or not. I next order the steak au povire med rare with side of fries. Oh my god, is it good. I am not talking about the steak (which is delicious), but i am referring to the outstanding onion accompande (recipe was in the WaPo a few weeks ago). The onions and the fries are so ridiculously good. Once again, the bartender has managed to split the dish. We always finish the steak and onions but neve the fries.

I leave my car at Central and venture elsewhere for a nightcap, hopefully back in time to retrieve it.

Central is one of my go to places. They have convenient valet parking and it is cheap relative to nearby locales. I sit at the far end of the bar near the wine rack. I find the dining room too open and too noisy. I request Tracy as my bartender (he understands and accommodates my grazing habits).

I appreciate Tracy as well when eating at the bar! Always enjoyable to talk with him while getting a meal.

Ate there yesterday w/ a friend and enjoyed the Braised Beef Cheeks w/ Tagliatelle. Quite rich, paired well w/ the pasta. For dessert, couldn't resist their Chocolate Bar [i.e. the Kit-Kat bar, still good].

I just realized that I never commented on my meal. It was fabulous, as always. Two things that I thought had improved since the last time I ate them were the gougeres and the banana split. It seemed that they baked the gougeres for a little bit longer which gave them a firmer exterior, thus they never got soggy. I ordered the banana split soon after Central opened and was not impressed. This time, my husband really wanted ice cream so this was a perfect choice. The ice creams and sorbet are top-notch and those little crunchies add great texture to that dessert. It was a tough choice to not order the Kit Kat Bar, but we were very happy in the end.

My family enjoyed a wonderful meal at Central on Christmas Eve. Not sure how we missed this restaurant before. This was one meal that reached $200 (no alcohol) for which we really believed it was worth every penny. We had simple appetizers, mixed green salad and the pate plate. These were fine - the pate was mild, but very fresh, but next time we will definitely order the gougeres - my daughter recently had these in Amsterdam and loved them; we just missed them on the menu. For entrees we had the scallops, which my daughter devoured (a cute older Asian lady sitting behind us, who could not have weighed more than 80 pounds, also had the dish and took several photos of it before eating everything on the plate); two had steak a poivre - my daughter's was perfectly cooked, my husband's was somewhat overcooked, although we did not mention it so no room for complaint. I had the lamb shank with polenta - this was divine - an almost embarassingly huge piece of tender lamb over perfectly cooked polenta. The sides also did not disappoint - the brussel sprouts may be my new favorite side dish. Although my kids would have preferred more traditional homemade mayo (closer to the Dutch type), the fries were crispy. The desserts were also fabulous - the banana split was huge and the three ice cream choices were great (loved those little chocolate beads on the chocolate ice cream with the chocolate syrup...). This has to be one of the great bargains in the city, at only $10. Easily enough for the whole family. The chocolate lava cake was exactly as one hopes - and for my chocolate loving child was near nirvana.

We are looking forward to lunch hopefully next week to try the soups (is the french onion as good as Bistro Bis?) and the lobster and tuna burgers. Central has new fans.

If you happen to be in the downtown area around lunchtime and think to yourself "Oh, maybe I'll pop by Central. I wonder if they do lunch on the weekends?", please don't believe Google's hours for Central. For some reason they are completely wrong, and Central does not do lunch on the weekends.

It's weird: the summary hours on the main search page are wrong, but if you click through on the "reviews, menu, and more" link and go to the Overview or Details tab, the hours are spot-on. Very odd. At any rate, the "reviews, menu, and more" link isn't there on mobile phones, so you're better off just calling in general. I wonder if this disparity happens with other places too.

I was thinking of stopping by Central for a drink last weekend, but wasn't sure where it was. So I texted "central washington, dc" to Google and got a few results. One said "Central - 1001 Pennsylvania Ave," which I was pretty sure was correct. Another one said "Central Michael [sic] Richard Restaurant - 633 D St." I thought "That can't be right." I checked it out anyway, since I was nearby, and it was the address for Rasika :P

Dinner at Central with my wife on Saturday night. Overall, an exceedingly pleasant experience.The evening got off to an auspicious start when I ordered a sidecar from the bar and was served a perfectly sublime cocktail, tart with citrus and nary a trace of sour mix. Seated in the middle of the restaurant, we found ourselves a bit closer to our neighbors than maybe would have been ideal but that gripe is true for most restaurants these days so hardly worth mentioning anymore.

My wife ordered the gazpacho starter and I the iceberg & bleu cheese salad. The gazpacho was outstanding - perfect seasoning, vegetables with a bit of crunch, and lovely presentation. My salad was a simple concoction of walnuts, bleu cheese dressing, and iceberg. I was surprised by the substantial portioning, and while not overwhelmed by the dish, I found it well-made and pleasant in its simplicity.

For entrees, my wife ordered the roast chicken and potatoes and I the lobster burger. The chicken was superb. Very juicy and simply prepared to allow the chicken's substantial flavor to shine - seems like they used a high quality chicken for this dish. The potatoes were tasty, though they could have been a bit more crisp on the outside. My lobster burger and fries were everything I expected. The fries were as perfect fries should be - salty, crispy, soft in the middle. The burger was chock full of lobster meat and had a subtle taste of the sea. Paired with a glass of the New Zealand sauvignon blanc (name escapes me), this was a near ideal meal.

For dessert, we ordered the chocolate bar and were blown away. This is one dessert that feels like it's worth the calories. Simply outstanding. If you haven't tried it, please do.

Service was quite nice throughout. Our server was helpful in answering questions, quick to attend to our needs, and always available without hovering.

In my mind, this evening at Central cemented this restaurant's place as one of the best meals for the money in the DC area. You get top quality ingredients, expertly prepared, in a vibrant setting without spending as much money as you might have feared.

I also ate at Central on Saturday night (May 9th). I went with a friend who says that Central might be her favorite restaurant in the city (and she knows what she is talking about). I, however, had been once and was slightly underwhelmed although obviously willing to try again. This experience was heads and shoulders above my last visit, and I think it had a lot to do with where we were seated. Somehow, extremely luckily, we were seated at a huge 2-top right next to the open kitchen. Sitting here is much less noisy than the main dining room, with a great view of the kitchen, and the wine cellar, etc. - next time I visit, I will request a table in this section. It made such a huge difference in my opinion of the place.

We started with the salmon and tuna carpaccio, which was fresh and light and perfect for kind of a muggy night. The fish had what we thought was jicama on it, which added a nice textural crunch to the fish.

My friend ordered the fried chicken which was out of the world good. Easily the best fried chicken I've ever had. I definitely had order envy! The crispy outside was so tasty and light, almost like a panko breadcrumb but less greasy, if that is possible. The chicken itself was light and juicy and moist. The mashed potatoes are more like a potato puree which are very garlicky and delicious! But far and away the best part of this dish is the horseradishy tasting ranch-ish dipping sauce. Oh. my. god. Slather worthy.

I on the other hand got the lobster burger, which I thought was good but not outrageous. It is true that the burger itself is made up of big chunks of juicy lobster, so that was enjoyable. However the bottom bun was not substantial enough to stand up to the burger and the sauce and the tomato. It was all soggy by the time I was through with about a fourth of the burger. The sauce seemed tasty, but there wasn't enough on the sandwich itself; I wished they had offered a little extra on the side for dipping. I actually think that if I hadn't had the fish burger (also available in mini versions, called fish cakes) at Westend Bistro a couple of weeks ago, I would have been more impressed with the lobster burger than I was. The fish burger is heavenly, and it set my expectations really high for the lobster burger, which weren't exactly met.

All of this we enjoyed with a bottle of the Ferrari-Carano chardonnay, which was incredibly good and went well with the chicken and the lobster. That is such a great bottle of wine. And of course we ended our meal with the chocolate bar - not to be missed!!! The service was attentive though not over the top. We actually had two waiters, one male and one female. The female was smiley and nice, and the male, although nice seemed like he was either bored or sad. I could have used a smile from him too. All in all a really enjoyable meal, which again I credit in large part due to our V.I.P. seating! Still not sure how we scored that table.

I too was there Saturday night. As usual, it was excellent. Soft shell crab is in a ratatouille sauce that is superb. I tried the rabbit for the first time -- won't be the last. Served with spatzle and carrots.

I got to meet Chef after the meal and I asked him what his favorite vegetable on the menu is. He said: the carrots!

We love Central and the service and food quality is always consistent. A great value. I will say that I would probably not take any of my vegetarian friends there, not much for them besides the house salad. But I have never been disappointed there.

Has anyone else tried the grilled mushroom and cheese sandwich? It is so rich and very good. I am always willing to try new menu items at Central and tonight, I was glad I did. I believe it comes with the same dipping sauce as the fried chicken, and while I was uncertain at first, I felt it really enhanced the sandwich.

As I said, this is a very rich sandwich. I was very hungry and couldn't even finish half of it.

Had a late meal Saturday evening at Central. Had a nice drink at the bar waiting for our table.

I have had great memorable meals here before...many of them. This time however, I was in search of vegetarian choices- as my date is a vegetarian. I thought that a cutting edge restaurant would have lots of choices, but I was wrong.

Beyond an appetizer or two, we ended up just ordering a bunch of side orders. They were good, but doing this lacks the excitement of a meal and feels like an afterthought. Besides the cheese puffs, nothing was spectacular. Two days later, I can barely remember what we ate or ordered....except the creamed spinach which was way too salty...perhaps when eaten as a side order it is ok, but by itself not. Also, I was shocked to see the bill at 100$, we did each have a drink...

I guess in the end it is my fault for not researching the menu more...just an assumption that this would be a good modern bistro that would have vegetarian options.

My fate was to be born on Bastille Day, and so Central seemed the most appropriate place to celebrate. The ex(partner) treated myself and a mutual friend to dinner last evening, which thrilled me as I've been dying to try it, and since I work in Georgetown, I just don't find myself in that neck of the woods very often. Wonderful service, from engaging valet parking ("Say, what year is this?")to pleasant hostess and waitron.

The ex had arrived first, and I was seated next. A complimentary cone of gougeres was placed on the table,(one benefit of their Bastille Day celebration), and I had the Miners Club Cocktail while the ex chose a Blueberry Smash. Both were satisfyingly non-sweet and all the more refreshing for it. Our friend arrived, and ordered a Vodka Tonic. I suggested we share Michel's Charcuterie Plate to start, and it was a hit, including a couple of slices of Mortadella and a large piece of Country Pate in addition to the described garlic sausage, "faux gras", prosciutto and salami. I've never had such melt in your mouth prosciutto.

What to order next? I'd been drooling over the menu all day, trying to make up my mind...I was torn between the Beef Cheeks, Calves Liver, Fried Chicken and Lamb Shank. None of the prix fixe choices on the B-Day menu excited me. The ex got the Fried Chicken (Central's version is the only way she'll eat it, and she's quite Southern). I ordered the Lamb Shank, and our friend ordered Mussels, as she often does. The ex advised that we had to get a side of the Mac & Cheese, and I was glad she did. A bottle of "Le Cignal" Corbieres went down well with it all.

We did order two servings of the profiteroles for dessert from the special menu (with three spoons). Each serving was two profiteroles, one with chocolate sauce, and the other with an intense, buttery caramel. Even the vanilla ice cream within was exceptional.

Highlights for me were the mustard cream sauce accompanying the fried chicken, the "faux gras" and country pate, the fall off the bone consistency of the lamb, the creamy polenta and rich jus that accompanied the lamb, the mustardy Mac & Cheez, and the fun atmosphere of the venue. I don't always like noisy restaurants, but this was conducive to the occasion.

Now, if they'd just take over the running of the annual Waiter's Champagne Bottle Race, which seems to have gone by the wayside with the demise of Les Halles...

What was the Bastille Day menu? Unfortunately, I had to miss this day but we've always loved their menu. Two years ago it was a killer Coq au Vin. Last year they did a shrimp entree (etouffee?) which was wonderful. Next year for sure!!!

The Grandparents were in town and we decided to have lunch there last Friday. They were very accommodating to our little guys (who are very good restaurant diners). Service was otherwise good as well.

However, the food was just disappointing. We hit the a plethora of the burgers (chicken, shrimp, regular) and most, if not all, disappointed. There was simply something wrong, and almost wonder if there wasn't a defect in a common ingredients. Perhaps it was just overripe tomato or a commons sauce, but all had an odd aftertaste or flavor. And at the $20, price tag there seems little excuse for it.

Another issue, the french fries were all over cooked. To the point that they just felt greasy, hollow, transparent. It lacked any character other than the oil. I longed to to be up the street at Brasserie Beck.

The only thing that people thought was universally good was the recently added shrimp salad with the mango and passion fruit vinaigrette. It had a touch of frisee for crunch.

If the price point wasn't so high, I might say it was an acceptable meal. But, you pay for excellence at $40-50 a person. It just wasn't good and really disappointing.

I took a Central Virgin to lunch today and I forced her to order the fried chicken. I have made another person into a Central fan today. The chicken was perfectly done and the sauce on the side makes a perfect dipping sauce.

I love to dip I realized today. I think dip is my favorite food next to bagels and cream cheese.

What was the Bastille Day menu? Unfortunately, I had to miss this day but we've always loved their menu. Two years ago it was a killer Coq au Vin. Last year they did a shrimp entree (etouffee?) which was wonderful. Next year for sure!!!

I found a copy of the offerings for the 2009 Bastille Day dinners:

Executive Chef Cedric Maupillier's French Prix-Fix dinner menu, a special menu designed to be served in addition to Central's everyday award winning menu. The $55 special three course dinner menu includes choices of Brandade de Morue, tomate concassé (Cod Brandade, chopped tomato), Cuisses de Grenouille Provençal (Frogs Legs Provencal), Escargots a la Bourguignone (Snails in butter), Entrecote Frite, beurre Maitre d' (Rib Steak with Herb Butter), Filet de Dorade, ratatouille, Assiette de Fromages (French Cheese Plate), and Profiteroles (Cream puffs, ice cream & chocolate sauce). Brian Zipin, General Manager/Sommelier has created a $17 all French wine pairing to match.

Come once, or come every day, including Tuesday July 14, when Central adds French music and lively décor to the party, and declares: Let Them Eat Gougeres! - with complimentary gougeres for everyone who dines.Bastille Day, is the French "Fête Nationale" , commemorating the storming of the

Bastille on 14 July 1789, and marking the beginning of the French Revolution. It is seen as a symbol of the uprising of the modern French nation.[/font]

I'm taking Bob to Central this Friday for his birthday celebration. I'm familiar with the regular menu, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any exceptional specials there recently that we should be on the look-out for (including drink specials).

I'm taking Bob to Central this Friday for his birthday celebration. I'm familiar with the regular menu, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any exceptional specials there recently that we should be on the look-out for (including drink specials).

I've actually never seen specials at Central, but maybe that's because I usually dine at the bar. In terms of drinks (again not a special) I am pretty much obsessed with their Miner's Club cocktail. It's delicious and refreshing...especially in this nasty heat.

Last time I went I just got the Miner's Club Cocktail and the faux gras and rilletts appetizer and was in heaven.

Good dinner at Central Friday night. The only special was an appetizer of three perfectly fried brandade croquettes, served on a hummus-like puree with a dipping sauce (it looked like mustard, but was sort of bland). Bob went for the (good-sized) goat cheese caesar, and we shared gougeres. For entrees, Bob had the ahi tuna burger, which I didn't taste but he enjoyed (especially the ginger aioli), and I went for the loup de mer. Grilled and butterflied, it fills the plate, with the tail amusingly stuck up at one end, a good-sized arugula salad taking the place of the head, and a generous portion of smoky sauteed wild mushrooms bridging between the salad and fish. By this point, we were pretty full, but decided to divide the banana split for dessert, which was almost comically too much for us at this point. Drinks: Absinthe cocktail for Bob (he shrugged), Miner's Club Cocktail for me, and a bargain-priced ($35) bottle of a tasty 2007 Gruner Veltliner to tie the meal together. I hear comments about inconsistency, but Central has yet to let us down in terms of quality or value.

Deep in a white bowl, there's a refreshing summer shrimp salad on the menu. Its base is avocado, perfectly ripe, with a hint of tang or effervescence that you find when the fruit is at its best. As you dig in, the avocado becomes a dressing of sorts. It's salad on a small scale, with several ingredients, all in proportion, a few of this and that, alternating between crisp and soft textures: pale frisee leaves, peas, diced cucumber and mango and round slices of radish. I am probably leaving something out. There is the flavor of celery, too. It would be hard to be disappointed with this, unless you are expecting a big ovation from the shrimp, which you won't get. They are quietly there, playing their part, echoing the restraint of this dish. the salad leaves you with a feeling of light contentment, which won't last long if you follow it up with almost anything else on the menu, such as a delicious sautéed skate speckled with capers in a portion that's generous enough for two.

Brought my dad to lunch at Central yesterday as he'd driven down for the Capital Food Fight, but hadn't had anything to eat all day. Central is just a few blocks down from the Reagan Building, and I hadn't been there in nearly a year, so we gave it a shot, thinking to eat relatively light as so much food was in our futures.

The bread was a good start - I seem to remember it being different before, but now it's just a simple, yet delicious, ciabatta.

The French Onion Soup ($9), which we ordered two of, was less than impressive though. Visually, they were stunning, with a perfectly colored and generous layer of cheese overtop. Yet the bowl itself was rather small for $9, and that generous allotment of cheese became more of a chore than anything else when I dug in and discovered it to be mozzarella. Maybe my dad's tastebuds were off, but he was the first one to say "isn't that just mozzarella?," but I'm pretty sure he was right; the cheese was just thick and bland. Considering I got him to change the way his restaurant does onion soup (from a layer of mozzarella sprinkled with parmigiano to using Gruyere), I was disappointed to bring him to a place like Central, that for $9 should have been topping off our soups with a cheese that brought more to the dish than oil and chewiness. The broth itself was decent, but I felt it was lacking in sweetness, and in onions.

Our Fried Chicken with Mustard Sauce ($21), however, was much more impressive. The chicken, a boneless breast and a leg, was beautifully fried. The crust light and crisp, and both the white and dark meat were juicy. The potato puree underneath was good, though not particularly delicious, and the side salad was utterly pointless. But the mustard sauce...that was delicious, and coupled with the chicken it made it hard to keep in mind that I was supposed to be holding back and waiting for all the food that I was going to have to eat later.

So, I'd been hoping to find the ultimate onion soup, and on that front I was not at all satisfied. But that fried chicken is just as delicious as I've heard so many people suggest, and that made the trip worthwhile, if not worth the price.

So, I'd been hoping to find the ultimate onion soup, and on that front I was not at all satisfied. But that fried chicken is just as delicious as I've heard so many people suggest, and that made the trip worthwhile, if not worth the price.

I would check out their mussel soup instead.That has an amazing layer of flavor....one of my favorite soups in town.

The French onion soup at Brasserie Beck might be more to your liking. I believe it is an onion and shallot soup and is outstanding.