Central, 11th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue Downtown - Executive Chef Nick Johnson and Chef de Cuisine Sean Mulcahy

People feel so entitled these days, it kills me. If you want to order 3 courses + dessert, going out after 10 o'clock probably isn't the best idea.

Au contraire: three courses and dessert after ten is often a spectacular idea -- if you can find someone to serve it up.

Though why the diners didn't ask when the kitchen was closing and the server didn't mention something about it eludes me. Missed signals on all sides in a still-new restaurant, if you ask me, and a fine clutch performance by the manager (which, as Mark pointed out, should be the story).

But that goes to something that I, at age 37, still don't understand. Do the posted hours mean that is when you'll get kicked out, or the last moment you will be seated, or the time you won't be allowed to order anything else. I think it varies from place to place which is why I am eternally confused by it. ...

It is because of this possibility of confusion that I would expect a restaurant to advise me up front if their schedule will restrict the dining freedom I would usually experience. At a bare minimum, I would expect a server or manager to stop by to let me know the kitchen would be closing, and ask whether we wanted anything before that happened.

However, in our house as in yours, our resident baby makes it more likely that we're joining the blue hairs for an early dinner than challenging the kitchen's willingness to cook a late-night meal.

But that goes to something that I, at age 37, still don't understand. Do the posted hours mean that is when you'll get kicked out, or the last moment you will be seated, or the time you won't be allowed to order anything else.

I think it's fairly obvious that closing time is the earliest time the FOH would like to be able to lock the front doors and dim the lights. Normally this is usually followed by their nightly cleaning routine. If you're still in the dining room past closing, it's an imposition on their time, unless the staff have made it expressly clear that you're welcome to stay.

If arriving within a half-hour of closing time, I have always, ALWAYS asked first if it is too late to be seated or if the kitchen has closed, and then I try to order quickly (even if it means ordering dessert up front) and not linger over my food, to minimize the time the staff are stuck delaying their final cleaning while waiting for me to clear out. That's just basic courtesy. IMHO.

Wow...looks like I struck a nerve with this one. Allow me to clarify one or two things. First, we arrived at 9:15 on a Thursday, told we could be seated shortly and were. We were in our seats by 9:30. I understand that maybe that is late on a Thursday night, but I don't think uncommon in the restaurant industry for people to go out to eat at that hour. The real problem stemmed from a lack of communication moreso than an unwillingness to serve us dessert. Had our server come by at any point in the meal and told us that the kitchen was closing at a certain time and letting us know that any decisions regarding dessert needed to be made at that point, it would have been fine. I understand how restaurants work and that kitchens close, however that was not the issue regarding our experience. It was really just a lack of communication on the server's end.

In terms of dining in a restaurant late at night, I understand that it is a pain sometimes for a restaurant to accomodate a late table, but the reality is that each guest that comes in is paying for their meals and their experience. They're also paying the salaries of the servers, managers, etc and are the reasons for a restaurants existence. The experience at a restaurant needs to be about the guest, not a convenience issue for the staff. I think that if communicated properly, the kitchen closing is not an issue, but to say that as a guest you need to be up and out of the restaurant at close so they can start cleaning (which to clarify is not something that happened to us at the restaurant, but is in response to another post) seems incorrect.

Is that "home made gin" and tonic, "home made tonic" and gin, or some other permutation?

If it's the first, ask him if I can borrow his still.

;):P:)

No, they use some super duper special gin and homemade tonic. I am a bad person because he told me the name of the gin and why it was special but I can't remember it (it was a pretty bottle) and that they use quinine imported from Brazil to make the tonic. I could use one right now.

;):P:)

No, they use some super duper special gin and homemade tonic. I am a bad person because he told me the name of the gin and why it was special but I can't remember it (it was a pretty bottle) and that they use quinine imported from Brazil to make the tonic. I could use one right now.

You can order the quinine powder online HERE

I wasn't going to get into this one, but the more I thought about it, the more I disagreed with this part of the post:

In terms of dining in a restaurant late at night, I understand that it is a pain sometimes for a restaurant to accomodate a late table, but the reality is that each guest that comes in is paying for their meals and their experience. They're also paying the salaries of the servers, managers, etc and are the reasons for a restaurants existence. The experience at a restaurant needs to be about the guest, not a convenience issue for the staff. I think that if communicated properly, the kitchen closing is not an issue, but to say that as a guest you need to be up and out of the restaurant at close so they can start cleaning (which to clarify is not something that happened to us at the restaurant, but is in response to another post) seems incorrect.

I think that this is a fallacious argument. Yes, we are the clients in restaurants, but that doesn't give us the right to be rude. I understand that this is not what happened during this visit to Central, and I agree that the waitstaff should have told you that the kitchen was closing. I also understand that they realized their gaffe and tried to rectify the situation. However, I completely disagree that because we are clients we are "the reason for a restaurants existence." Do you want your clients treating you that way? Putting the needs of your entire staff below their demands? Do you treat other people that way? Almost anything we do can be excused by "well, I'm paying them," and it's our job as theoretically nice people to not abuse the situation.

Chinatown restaurants looked down and decrepit last night following a witty presentation by Michael chabon on Yiddish and other matters that seemed right at home in the historic sixth and I street temple, which following its recent renovation is now occasionally being used as an entertainment venue. So we kept on walking - past rosa mexicano, spilling out all over the sidewalk; a packed jaleo where alfresco diners were more in the dark; a full oyamel with an empty bar; the caucus room, which appeared to be abandoned inside by a small crowd of well-heeled, dangerous looking people in suits now out front waiting for their black cars; and tenn penh, where I was reminded that out of three people at our last meal there ages ago I was the only one to order successfully, a whole deep-fried farm-raised catfish holding a thrashing position on the plate - until we reached central.

We had been meaning to return to central for some time for a meal at the bar, but on the several occasions when we were in the vicinity we were deterred by the sight of the arrivals one after another after another, and averse to wading through crowds we headed elsewhere. Last night, from a block away it was apparent that our luck might have changed judging from the inaction at the door, and once inside, around 9:00, we found our choice of seats in the bar area despite a packed dining room.

Aperol substitutes for campari in a rhubarb negroni. It's a smart toast to springtime, glowingly rubious in its martini glass, imparting a similarly bitter and herbal flavor but with hints of rhubarb, a fresh, uplifting and lightly intoxicating concoction. The bacon cheeseburger is a real contender, beefy and juicy, with a light relish of melted onion on top, a few dabs of mayonnaise underneath, an underplay of sage (unless I was imagining it) against the bacon, abundant american cheddar pooling onto the plate but all of its ingredients in perfect proportion. The top of the bun is round and glistening with butter, the bottom substantial, and I have encountered far, far sloppier burgers in my life. The bread had the strength and sponginess of an English muffin and never came close to disintegrating even with a diameter that receded from the patty to provide clean bites and a clearer taste of the meat. The burger comes with a generous serving of fries, which are as good as they get, crisp and dark and potato all the way. A side of baby brussel sprouts huddled closely in a dish find the vegetable tender and sweet, lacking any trace of pungency, spiked with lardons and just brushed here and there with a creamy sauce.

We didn't totally hit it off with this place when we first visited weeks ago, when the food was hit and miss and some of the ingenuity behind turning the everyday into something transcendent didn't seem to be entirely working. But last night we had a perfect meal and definitely will be heading back to try other things when we are hungry and wandering. The food here is rich and the servings are large, so it's wise to order accordingly. There's also quite a scene going on, and the bustling staff is a part of it. they appear to be under fairly strict supervision and are exemplary and on their toes, like what you would expect in a good French movie with English subtitles.

I went to Central last night and ate at the bar for the first time. I got a burger and my friend got the lamb & potato stew.

The burger was STUPENDOUS!!!!! The bun is much, much better now (more even and not super thick in the middle) and it was not greasy/buttery! WooooHoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was able to eat it with very little mess.

My friend's lamb & potato stew was also very, very tasty. Heavy and comforting. And just the right amount of spices, salt and herbs. Perfect!!!

My only complaint, if I had one was that the cheese puff thins were a bit overcooked and dry. They were still tasty, but they should have been more of a golden brown than a tan.

My server was very, very busy so he didn't give us as much attention as I would have liked, but we were at one of the high tables not AT the actual bar, so I didn't expect much. Hey, we were at a bar. He did check on us twice after the meal came to see how we were doing. That more than made up for him taking a few minutes to bring me a menu.

But I did see my favorite waiter there, Mikey. He was not working in the bar area, but he saw me and came over to say hello and chat. He was very sweet and happy as usual and he brought over some champagne to help me celebrate my recent nuptials. He is the best waiter I've had in the whole place. (I've only had 2, but the first guy sucked.) Mikey is very knowledgeable, very patient with questions and totally friendly and enthusiastic. I love him!!! He does an amazing job finding the balance between personal and professional. Absolutely fabulous!!!

So I officially rescind my previous complaints about Central. I LOVE it!!! And I will definitely make my way back there just one more time before I head off to Florida in a couple of weeks. (if you know anyone in Gainesville, PM me and let me know. Not exactly a foodie destination spot, I know, but a girl can dream can't she? cool.gif )

Peace & Many Blessings,

LaShanta

However, I completely disagree that because we are clients we are "the reason for a restaurants existence." Do you want your clients treating you that way? Putting the needs of your entire staff below their demands? Do you treat other people that way? Almost anything we do can be excused by "well, I'm paying them," and it's our job as theoretically nice people to not abuse the situation.

I don't mean this in a malicious way or as an excuse to say I can do whatever I want in a restaurant because I'm paying the bill. I am simply saying that I feel that the needs of the customer at times should take precedent over some of the needs of the staff (within reason...not ALL of the needs of the staff, but perhaps some). This was a response to the blogger who said that the guest should leave and eat quickly so the staff can begin their cleaning duties, which I feel is incorrect. I don't think that the customer has a right to be rude, to sit all night or to do whatever they want. And I do feel that the guest should respect the restaurant. I just think that in the end, the dining experience should be about the guest. And if that means that the meal extends a reasonable amount of time past the closing hour of the restaurant, I feel that it should be accomodated. Obviously many people may disagree with me...

OK, I think we get it- offering a comp'd dessert isn't the same as offering a menu from which to choose and they shouldn't have done that, but come on, nearly 2 pages of what I'd consider to be a pretty miniscule complaint in the grand scheme of things? Hopefully they've learned their lesson and won't do it again, but I'd hardly call this a mark of continual poor service...now if this had been in a Bebbo thread I wouldn't have been surprised...

Is that "home made gin" and tonic, "home made tonic" and gin, or some other permutation?

If it's the first, ask him if I can borrow his still.

maybe you need one of these ...

still click

"At last it is easy to make alcohol distillation a hobby. The actual distilling is as easy as making coffee!"

(Yes, another good thread perverted with childish humor)

I get it. Central is officially the New Palena. With the distinction that I have never actually kissed Frank nor pinched his bottom. And, to be perfectly honest, smarter-looking crowd.

I cannot get enough of the burger with all its trimmings. I don't really understand people who order it without bacon or cheese. I adore its complete absence of restraint and unabashed over-the-topness of glistening brioche AND luscious patty AND never-too-crispy bacon AND delicate touille AND generous dabbings of mayo.

Cedric's study of brisket midcourse bears the stamp of Michel Richard's playful, elegant style a la Citronelle's "breakfast" dessert - except that it actually tastes better and I don't feel like a barbarian eating it and thus ruining the perfect composition in front of me.

Oh SuperSize KitKatBar , one more reason that I love you is your perfect size to be shared between two people, and taking out forever the guesswork of "what are YOU having for dessert?" But should I be stressed, sad, or otherwise discommoded, I can see myself shuffling toward the bar, ordering a full thing just for self, and drowning my sorrows in chocolate sauce and the most delightful, sharp, tasty cocktails in town that blend flavor with liquor with amazing deftness.

I hit up Central for the first time Friday...took the parents and we were all suitably impressed. Being a holiday weekend I would say the place was busy without being packed. We tried the mussel soup, onion tart, tuna burger, hanger steak, side of green beans, and lamb stew...and of course the Kit Kat Bar. Honestly every dish was very good to excellent. the soup, tart, hanger and lamb in particular.

I've heard rumblings of poor service quality lately and would say it was professional if not overly friendly...but then again I wasn't expecting Pieces of Flair.

I guess my one issue was I thought some of the pricing on the appetizer section was a little pricey, with a lot of items floating into the teens, but the entree prices where what I expected (high teens to mid $20s)...however, the quality was well worth the price. and you are certainly not getting short changed, I had enough hanger left over for a lovely sandwich the next day!

I get it. Central is officially the New Palena. With the distinction that I have never actually kissed Frank nor pinched his bottom. And, to be perfectly honest, smarter-looking crowd.

I cannot get enough of the burger with all its trimmings. I don't really understand people who order it without bacon or cheese. I adore its complete absence of restraint and unabashed over-the-topness of glistening brioche AND luscious patty AND never-too-crispy bacon AND delicate touille AND generous dabbings of mayo.

After reading this post yesterday, I decided to run back over to Central to give the burger a try to see if the soggy texture and general sloppiness issues had been worked out. I have to say that not only had they not been worked out, but more problems have arisen.

The burger as a whole, while very tasty, is about a half inch too tall. Maybe it's just me, but I don't particularly like having to squash the sandwich down and watch the copious amounts of fat and mayo drip out the side just to get it into my mouth. Nothing to do with flavor, but for $18, it would be nice to have something easier to manage and not cause me to use my entire napkin to keep clean.

The potato crisp, mayo, touille and meat are all very nice, but the bacon (which used to be Canadian but now appears to be the Jimmy Dean variety), the overly buttery brioche, and the pedestrian cheddar make this not worth the mess and price tag. It's almost an insult to compare this to Palena's, as the burger that I got today would never have seen the light of the dining room outside of Frank Ruta's kitchen.

In short, there is still no burger in the DC area that can carry the one they're serving in Cleveland Park's jock. ;)

I must respectfully disagree with you DPop. Had the burger today and it was even better than on two previous visits. I've only had slight issues with messiness -- perhaps because with my big mouth there's no need to smash it down to fit : ;) Perfectly cooked medium rare, juicy, cheesy, bacony, crispy, buttery.... what's not to love?

-Camille

I just want to say that I believe that the Blueberry Smash may be the perfect summer cocktail. It is not overly sweet. Very well-balanced and very refreshing. I stopped myself after one, but could have had several more.

Also finally tried the Kit Kat Bar last night. Oh. My. God. It is so good. It manages to be both rich and light at the same time. We were too full to finish it, but I am so glad we ordered it.

The burger as a whole, while very tasty, is about a half inch too tall. Maybe it's just me, but I don't particularly like having to squash the sandwich down and watch the copious amounts of fat and mayo drip out the side just to get it into my mouth.

In my limited burgerdom experience, the use of a knife and fork settles this problem in a rather convincing fashion.

Zero tolerance to eating with your hands = zero fat and mayo drippage problem.

In my limited burgerdom experience, the use of a knife and fork settles this problem in a rather convincing fashion.

I'm sorry, but a burger that requires knife and fork is no longer a burger. If it's not able to be eaten with hands, then it still may be great, but it should not be considered in the halls of great burgerdom.

Disclosure: I have never been to Central and I'm just going off comments here.

Had a fantastic lunch at Central today. Steered my dining companion to the shrimp burger. With every bite he commented on how wonderful it was. I had the duo of baby sandwiches - one prosciutto and the other a salami with a great kick. Both were served on mini baguettes and came with a side salad. This was the perfect dish for my mood -- satisfying without being overly filling, multiple flavors without having to over order, and fixed my post-picnic pig consumption withdrawal.

I want to add a shout out for the Tuna Burger. It is deliciously flavorful. IMHO, much better than the shrimp and lobster burgers (though I am a big lobster snob). Still haven't had the Bacon Cheeseburger, that's next. Also, the burrata and tomato app was quite refreshing.

True that. Is he serving it with the coleslaw on the sandwich these days? Mmmmm... perhaps I need to sneak over there before I leave the country...

There is still coleslaw, along with some spicy mustard to top it off. The corned beef is the star of the show, though, it is so lean and sliced to the perfect thickness. What a nice surprise, I really wasn't expecting this sandwich to be THIS good.

My Review of Michel Richard Central:

Had a dinner reservation via OpenTable for dinner reservation at Central Friday night at 9pm. Booked a few weeks in advance, and even then, all you could get was the 9pm slots... fine with us. Generally means you won't be rushed.

Arrived right at 9pm, were kindly greeted, and immediately seated along the left wall, half way back, and I was looking into the kitchen, which is a treat, as a previous poster pointed out, to watch all the chefs etc. operate in sync.

Our waiter poured tap water. Asked later to get bottle of sparkling. They serve Italian sparking water, although I was expecting French considering Chef Michel's pedigree.

There was indeed no rush in the service, and I say this as a positive. Some recent Wash Post online chatters have slammed them for moving too quickly from course to course, etc. We did not experience that at all.

Our orders were:

Her: App: Cheese puffs, Main: salmon

Me: App: Onion tart, Main: Hanger steak w/ fries

Cheese puffs came out first, and since we were sharing, that was fine. They were excellent. One or 2 showed a little char on the bottom, but 90%+ were perfect. Very hot, plentiful (filled a wire vase). The references in nearly every review are warranted.

Onion Tart: It takes a bit more time to cook, so it came out as we finished the puffs. Served on a very hot wood board, cut into 6 pieces. Overall, probably about 6-8 inches in diameter. The white cream sauce over the onion puree was superb. Also very hot, but was hard to resist just digging in anyway.

After a brief reprieve between courses, the mains appeared.

Hanger Steak w/ fries and small green salad: Cooked perfectly to medium rare (of slightly less). A beautiful log of meat that does justice to Chef Michel's French roots. Put it up against Paris's best bistro onglet and you won't be disappointed. The cut comes unsliced, unlike the usual presentation. The dish had a side of au jus, which was excellent over the meat, as well as the fries (not my usual way, but wow!). The fries were a bit saltier than I'd like, but paired with the meat and the au jus, it worked.

Salmon: She was not asked the desired temperature, and came cooked to medium+. For my taste, I'd prefer a bit more to medium rare, so if you want it cooked to temp, just ask. Don't think the menu says, but the salmon's served over lentils (brown lentils?, the smaller ones that breakdown when cooked, unlike French/du Puy lentils). I tasted the pairing and enjoyed it.

Wine List: Plenty of low cost ($40-60) options, and a few higher end selections, but all in all, you can hit the price point you're looking for. We had a $60 bottle of Burgundian red from Beaune, to remind us of our honeymoon.

Dessert: Although I was inclined to go for something other than the Kit Kat, the waiter raved about it and we caved. Its about 9 inches long and an inch high. Chocolate mousse on a cookie crunchy bottom, dusted with choc dust, with a side of vanilla iced cream with pistaccios topping.

Coffee: Of course, they serve espresso, but heard my neighbor able to get a decaf espresso, which is rare. So if that's your thing...

Decor: Liked the big stack of big plates next to host. Was a bit freaked out by the 12 foot tall rendering of Chef Michel on the back wall. Glad it took me a while to notice it. But since he's probably rarely in the kitchen, it serves as a reminder that you're eating a true master's creations.

Bottom line:

Service: 4 of 5, for attentiveness but not being overbearing and measured timing

Food: 4.5 of 5, for the hanger and kit kat standouts

Cost: 4 of 5 -- fair for the great food, and the wine list leaves you plenty of choices up & down

Overall: 4.5 of 5

Will definately go back. Total bill was about $180 with tip.

As part of my eating orgy weekend last weekend (Eamonn's, Central, Colorado Kitchen, then the DR picnic!) my husband surprised me with an offer to stop by and try Central. We had been in Old Town earlier in the day for a boat excursion celebration with my work, and I had the chance to stop in to Eamonn's for lunch. After not eating "out" for quite a while, I think I've certainly made up for it now!

It was now dinner time, and we were discussing the fact that we had no food in the fridge for dinner--where to stop on the way home? Which grocery store? Mr. Squids remarked that since we had to drive through the District anyway, why don't we eat at Central? I, of course, said yes, but wasn't certain we'd be able to find a parking space, or even be seated at 7:25 on a Friday night. But, I was willing to take my chances, and I was pleasantly surprised that they were able to seat us immediatley (at a table, not the bar.) Valet for only $6 took care of the car.

Mr. Squids had a salad, the hanger steak with frites, and I had the burger. I just couldn't do the bacon cheeseburger, having had fried fish and chips earlier in the day, and knowing the rest of the weekend was going to be highly caloric. (Bacon tasting anyone? :P ) He wished he had known the steak was served with a small side salad 'cuz he wouldn't have ordered the starter salad. I ordered the gougeres and brussel sprouts to share. The gougeres lived up to the hype--and I can't believe how many you get! I didn't think those would travel well, so I had to finish those, but we ended up taking home some of his steak, almost all the brussels and both of us had fries left over. The fries were wonderfully crispy on the outside, not too salty, and Mr. Squids declared them to be the best he's ever had. Only complaint--we'd combined our fries on his plate to make it easier to put everything in one container to take home, and when our doggy bag came back it was definitely shy a few fries. (Thus making the leftovers much more difficult to share. ;) )

The steak was cooked perfectly medium rare and Mr. Squids quite enjoyed it. The brussels were perfect to my liking, although Mr. Squids prefers them not cooked quite as long. But served as they were with butter and lardon, there was not much room for complaint. We could easily have skipped dessert, being as full as we were, but how could we leave without having le Kit Kat? I didn't realize it was so large, but it was well worth it. We managed to finish it off just fine, and roll out the door we did.

Sorry to say there was no controversy here; service was friendly and the pace was fine. We were offered tap and bottled water, and I was asked how I wanted my hamburger cooked. The burger was medium rare as ordered, no knife and fork was necessary, and everything was quite delicious. Neither of us had drinks, and the total including tax and tip was less than a C note. All in all a great evening.

Double post!

Okay, so the lady and I went to Central last night finally as we had been talking about for some time. Sidled up to the bar and settled in for a while. First off, yes, that mirror above the bar is great...I loved being able to spy around the bar area and the bar itself is really amazingly well-stocked. I look forward to going back and actually getting some actual cocktails instead of a beer like I did last night.

So, having heard the praises of much of the menu on here, I decided that we ought to stick to what I heard about here, and as such we started off with the delicious gougeres. Couldn't figure out the cheese that was in them, but who cares, because we pretty much demolished them quickly. Soon afterwards came our entrees, the shrimp burger for me and the hamburger for the lady, plus our side of polenta. I can easily say that her burger was not at all sloppy and it was quite manageable and actually appeared to keep its form quite well. I love the concept of the shrimp burger and how it holds its shape so well and then it begins to unravel slightly with each bite. I wish I was eating one right now!! BTW, for more observant/refined palates, what are the thing crunchy wafers that are on the bottom of the top half of the bun, right above the patty itself? I loved the crispiness this gave the burger and also the sundried tomatoes on the shrimp burger were an excellent touch.

I was not aware that the polenta would be in soft form, but I couldn't get enough of the cheesy, savory, corn goodness. Definitely a better option than your more run of the mill mashed potatoes. And of course, a meal at Central wouldn't be complete without Le Kit Kat. Based on all the raves, I was expecting to see God's eyes when I bit into this thing, and although I did not, it was still very very very good. The rich hazelnut creaminess matched with the crunch and the lovely vanilla ice cream.

And of course, just about 40 bucks w/ tip for each of us. So, I'm definitely mirroring what has already been said here, but I'll just add to the long list of praises and say that I'll definitely be back.

Was there last night with the missus for drinks before seeing "La vie en rose" at E Street. It was about 8:20 and the place was packed, which I suppose is how Central always is now. We managed to catch one of the little tables near the entrance. My wife had a "celery cup" made with Pimm's, Dr. Brown's Celery Soda, and Hendrick's Gin. We both loved this seemingly strange concoction. I first had a Hendrick's martini, which was perfectly made (cold, clear instead of overshaken and frothy, no chips of ice swimming around in it, and well balanced). Then I switched to their Rhubarb negroni, which was so good I had another one (la vie en rose, indeed). Somebody behind the bar at Central really puts care into what he's doing, which is all the more impressive for such a busy place.

We ordered two portions of the gougeres. They were delicious but two portions were too much for us at that point, so I gave one to the table next to us. Hopefully St. Peter was watching.

:(:):wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Ever since my interesting evening at Central when they first opened, Central has been my go to place when I am eating out. Today, I had a friend in from out of town and we met there for lunch. We would have done dinner but she wants Ethiopian....

I digress... I have had many things at Central that I like, many that I love... nothing anywhere in the United States comes close to the corned beef. It was an unbelievably perfect sandwich. The meat was flavorful, tender and rich. We ended up splitting the corned beef and shrimp burger. Glad we ate the shrimp burger first. It was delicious and delightful, but very light. It would have been lost after 1/2 a corned beef sandwich...

The kit-kat after the sandwiches was definitely not lost. It was better today than any of the other times I have had it. The hazelnut sauce and ice cream were delicious and I don't remember them from previous times.

Oh, I also discovered I like roses very much... plain and sparkling :):P;);)

I stopped by today to see about Pimm's, and discovered the celery cup - Hendrick's, Pimms No. 1, lime juice and Doc Brown's cel-ray soda with cucumber slices. It was awesome.

But what blew me away today was talking to Wayne, who was tending, about shandies. He'd never heard of it, and so when I was asking about where to get one, he tried to whip one up on the spot. A combo of Bell's Oberon, fresh lemonade and either 7-Up or club soda, it was far and away better than whatever concoction Lucky Bar (allegedly English) gave me as their shandy. What a way to chase away some summer heat without getting too tipsy (since I am the lightest lightweight on earth).

This part I know is off-topic and needs to get moved, but where does one get a shandy on-menu?

I stopped by today to see about Pimm's, and discovered the celery cup - Hendrick's, Pimms No. 1, lime juice and Doc Brown's cel-ray soda with cucumber slices. It was awesome.

But what blew me away today was talking to Wayne, who was tending, about shandies. He'd never heard of it, and so when I was asking about where to get one, he tried to whip one up on the spot. A combo of Bell's Oberon, fresh lemonade and either 7-Up or club soda, it was far and away better than whatever concoction Lucky Bar (allegedly English) gave me as their shandy. What a way to chase away some summer heat without getting too tipsy (since I am the lightest lightweight on earth).

This part I know is off-topic and needs to get moved, but where does one get a shandy on-menu?

Try tastes BARTENDER POUR ME A GLASS that tastes like summer BEER/WINE section, but you got a gourmet shandy there, classically it's just beer and lemon/lime soda at a 50/50 ratio, or gingeraleginger beer for a ginger shandy. ;) <burp> just like summer...

That corned beef sandwich....

I ordered it excitedly today. The corned beef is excellent. It's a surprise (though maybe only to a non-Easterner) that it's served with cole slaw and not kraut, but it's an excellent combination. Mostly. But I thought it was WAY too much "content" for the very soft, skimpy bread it came on. I left most of my sandwich guts on the plate, though that was partly because the meal was so large, and I couldn't even start to clean it up with my knife and fork. (Though, even as a cabbage lover, I wasn't really on board with serving a sandwich piled with cole slaw with an additional quenelle of the stuff on the side.)

But please don't forget that the corned beef is excellent--a superior mix of fat and lean, beautifully seasoned. And the fries are not to be trifled with, and the service is outstanding.

Went to Central last night. After a perfect lemon drop martini by fabulous bartender team, I endulged in appetizers. Buffalo mozzarella? The freshest I've ever had. Filet mignon tartar ? Completely awesome.

Look out for a new disk on the menu: Ratatouille. Yum.

Went for lunch a few weeks back and ate in the bar area. The corned beef sandwich is the best I can remember having. The fries are amazing. We also had the lamb shank--great but not a summer dish. Can't wait to try again when the weather cools off. Desserts were the chocolate mousse and sorbets. Perfection.

Great service and the baby didn't fuss.

Wish I could go more often!

Had a lovely but quick dinner Saturday night at Central. Tuna and Salmon carpaccio was a light and refreshing appetizer (tuna was not really flavorful, but I haven't had tuna that is lately anywhere.) Gougeres were light, airy and plentiful. My wife really enjoyed the cucumber gazpacho, saying that it was very nicely balanced with acidity as well as salt. I had the lobster burger for my entree and found it to be an interesting sandwich. It definitely didn't blow me away with flavor but it was presented very cleanly, the ratio of meat to bun was outstanding and the fries were dynamite (nicely crisp and well seasoned). For dessert, we shared the Kit Kat and weren't let down. It was great!

The only thing we didn't enjoy was the speed of service. It was just too fast for us--and I REALLY usually enjoy quick service. The appetizers came out of the kitchen about two minutes after we ordered them and before our wine had arrived. We had bussers and servers making multiple attempts to clear our courses when we were still enjoying them. Entrees arrived about 10 seconds after the apps were finally cleared. I believe our server came to touch up our wine glasses after just about every sip. You get the picture... All in all, we really did enjoy the food and attentiveness of the service staff and will return many times but we'll be better prepared for the fast service and order accordingly.