"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

Thought Kevin looks a bit like a feral pig but hey there's lots of intelligence behind those beady eyes.

And what's the big deal with Hector frying a steak? Why can't a hispanic chef deep fry a rib-eye? Seems like the judges are judging based on preconceptions as opposed to just tasting the food.

Thought Kevin looks a bit like a feral pig but hey there's lots of intelligence behind those beady eyes.

And what's the big deal with Hector frying a steak? Why can't a hispanic chef deep fry a rib-eye? Seems like the judges are judging based on preconceptions as opposed to just tasting the food.

I've had Bistec Empanizado in Miami that was pretty good. But admittedly, the predominant taste was "fried."

I've had Bistec Empanizado in Miami that was pretty good. But admittedly, the predominant taste was "fried."

That's the problem the judges had with it...Hector's vice was "smoking" and if I recall correctly, he said the steak was supposed to replicate the smoke flavor. If I'm not remembering correctly, then I do know the judges thought it would've been a better representation of the cigar smoke if he had cooked the steak on a wood fire grill.

>And what's the big deal with Hector frying a steak? Why can't a hispanic chef deep fry a rib-eye? Seems like the judges are judging based on preconceptions as opposed to just tasting the food.

I wouldn't pass judgment myself on that one...remember the show is edited quite a bit so we really don't know all that the judges said, nor all that Hector said.

I do understand that it's tv, and that the editors have great control over how people and things appear -

but having said that,

Mike from Zaytinya sure did seem like he was going out of his way to create a public perception that he is a jerk (and sexist jerk at that), and

I sure would rather watch 60 year old chefs cook well and be nice to each other, than to watch 20-40 year olds play games with each other.

Mike is coming across as a prick, but that is partly due to editing I am sure. Still, he'll be entertaining to watch.

One of the things about this first episode was, as all first episodes, there are so many people to learn about and watch that it is a bit overwhelming at times. That said, I think the other woman, Laurine, who was one of the bottom this episode could easily have gone home too.

“A girl shouldn’t be at the same level as I am.” -Mike Isabella. Season6, Episode 1

Have some of that lassies. If the Bible, Good Housekeeping, and Modern Misogynist Monthly’s “Skin to Win” sweepstakes have taught us anything, it's that a woman’s place is below whatever a man’s is, with hoop earrings and a low-cut wardrobe if she’s fit, but not is a professional kitchen (except pastry, which doesn’t really count) where she is prone to episodes of lunar cycle sob stories, recapping “The View” and trying to get into the chefs’ jocks. Progressive thinking brought us foams and deconstructions which the judges have already dismissed as frivolous strokes of an attention starved ego. I applaud Mike’s classical 19th Century values, and for not bringing the inhibitions that keep most of industrialized Western civilization from loosening up the Women’s Lib corset by a few notches. I will buy him a drink at 18th amendment; I think that’s the amendment that lets hot broads drink and then become promiscuous.

I do understand that it's tv, and that the editors have great control over how people and things appear -

but having said that,

Mike from Zaytinya sure did seem like he was going out of his way to create a public perception that he is a jerk (and sexist jerk at that), and

I sure would rather watch 60 year old chefs cook well and be nice to each other, than to watch 20-40 year olds play games with each other.

A few months ago I was at a dinner party and wound up in conversation with someone who was a producer on one of those "Real Housewives" reality shows. I asked her something I had always wondered, which is just how "produced" these shows were, and she laughed and gave me an example - they would tell a participant ok, on this episode you're going to go get a spa treatment, and you're going to invite Amy and Jean, but exclude Mary, and then you're going to meet all three of them at this party so and so is going to organize, and talk about what happened. All the scenes were "set up" this way, and generally the show was much more scripted than I imagined it would be.

I don't know anything about how Top Chef is made, but I would hesitate to draw any strong conclusions about any of the participants from how they act on this or any other "reality" show. Producers have more ways to manipulate our perceptions of what's going on besides controlling editing, music, camera angles, etc.

Perhaps because his weak, weak, weak response didn't even come close to addressing his @sshat comment on the show the other night. I saw it, it didn't look "sarcastic" to me at all. And saying you have women working for you doesn't make you not a sexist -- I've worked for A LOT of sexist men (and probably worked with a lot of sexist women).

I'm not keen on going to Zaytinya knowing it will help him professionally and financially, but I'm a pretty ardent egalitarian and found him awfully offensive. That being said, I don't begrudge anyone else their choice nor will I be organizing a massive boycott outside the restaurant. :rolleyes: To each his own. I'm almost more interested in how common this is -- one of Tom's chatters said today "it's interesting that women are expected to cook at home but not in a restaurant". Is this still an industry where it's that much more difficult for female chefs?

Is this still an industry where it's that much more difficult for female chefs?
That's a bit of an understatement. Look at the numbers. I think something like 75% of all chefs are male. Women seem to get no respect in the kitchen. Like being an airline pilot, it's seen very much as a "man's world," and the men in it can be chauvinistic assholes. Think any other industry, but times a bajillion.

I really liked Rick Bayless and Hubert Keller. I am glad that Rick Bayless won, though. Coming from a family of teachers and librarians they really earned my respect when they had so much respect and interest in the sous chef challenge. I was really dissappointed by Michael Chiarello in that episode. I just think everyone deserves a bit of respect, even the young chefs on Top Chef have a lot of culinary skill and knowledge and I respect people who are willing to learn from anyone. What really impressed me was how much fun Rick Bayless had with every challenge. He seems to be rather reserved and polite, but a person who truly loves life and doing what they do and that was so nice.

On regular Top Chef- Mike Isabella really rubbed me the wrong way too. I probably won't stop eating at the restaurant, but it hasn't hastened a return. I don't think he was sarcastic, I think he said something stupid, which he would have not said had he had time to think about what he was saying before it was displayed on national television. I don't think he should be burned at the stake or apologize publicly or anything I think the fallout itself will teach him a lesson. I do think the chefs are under a lot of pressure, and editing doesn't help, but no excuse he said it, it didn't appear sarcastic- he will deal with it.

On a positive note, I am excited for both Brian and Michael Voltaggio. Having eaten at Volt and at Hemisphere in the Greenbrier when Michael Voltaggio was there I know they both have a lot of talent.

I have been a loyal watcher since Season 2, and maybe it's a bit of local boosterism skewing my opinion, but I don't ever recall seeing the judges so impressed as they were with the two dishes by Michael V, and then the winning dish by Bryan V.

The seemed seriously impressed

I for one will no longer be eating at Zaytinya. And I was a semi-regular there. You lost a great customer ass-hat.

You know, every so often I will listen to opera just because I like the music and the voices. So what if it's always the soprano who gets raped, abandoned, entombed while singing, or fulfills bizarre, misogynistic Masonic notions of Woman as the Source of Evil? Back in the day of the Walkman, I didn't choose not to buy one because it wasn't named Walkperchild ("person" is just so androcentric, don't you think?) and after hesitating for weeks on end, I finally picked up a cassette tape of James Brown's greatest hits because I liked the music even if I didn't admire the musician as a man. I could go on about Courbet, Picasso...

Mike Isabella may be naive in thinking that just because he's friends with women that means he doesn't harbor at least a few sexist notions. I may not like what he said, but I don't know if he meant that he thinks women can't rise to the same culinary heights as men, and/or if they aren't as technically skilled as male chefs, or if he assumes that because they tend not to be physically stronger, he might have been more of a shoe-in when shucking clams than the woman from the more prestigious restaurant who has expertise in seafood. Nor do I think he's an ass-hat :rolleyes: because of that unfortunate statement. He's always struck me as pretty nice as well as friendly and good at what he does for a living.

I also have said so many things I have regretted that I am glad I didn't have a crew there recording me.

Therefore, I would not boycott Zaytinia on the basis of that one comment made by only one of many who work there.

It was time for Eve to go. The chef with the face piercing doesn't look to be sticking around for much longer.

The V Brothers and the guy with the bushy red beard seem to be setting the pace so far.

Eve seriously needed to go. Not only did he food seem....average, her attitude and confidence were lacking. I am sure it is just because she is edited that way, but....Looking forward to next week. Congrats to the V-bros, too!

You know, every so often I will listen to opera just because I like the music and the voices. So what if it's always the soprano who gets raped, abandoned, entombed while singing, or fulfills bizarre, misogynistic Masonic notions of Woman as the Source of Evil? Back in the day of the Walkman, I didn't choose not to buy one because it wasn't named Walkperchild ("person" is just so androcentric, don't you think?) and after hesitating for weeks on end, I finally picked up a cassette tape of James Brown's greatest hits because I liked the music even if I didn't admire the musician as a man. I could go on about Courbet, Picasso...

Mike Isabella may be naive in thinking that just because he's friends with women that means he doesn't harbor at least a few sexist notions. I may not like what he said, but I don't know if he meant that he thinks women can't rise to the same culinary heights as men, and/or if they aren't as technically skilled as male chefs, or if he assumes that because they tend not to be physically stronger, he might have been more of a shoe-in when shucking clams than the woman from the more prestigious restaurant who has expertise in seafood. Nor do I think he's an ass-hat :rolleyes: because of that unfortunate statement. He's always struck me as pretty nice as well as friendly and good at what he does for a living.

I also have said so many things I have regretted that I am glad I didn't have a crew there recording me.

Therefore, I would not boycott Zaytinia on the basis of that one comment made by only one of many who work there.

That is the great thing about freedom. You can go where you want, think what you want to think and as long as your decisions don't harm me, we are cool.

The treatment of the slab bacon was brilliant. I had a chance to go to Bazaar back in late February but decided to pass. I could eat Jose Andres food here, was my rationale.

Only three (4?) episodes in, I want to eat Michael Voltaggio's food. I know it is heavily edited and not "reality", but he seems very, very gifted.

Really interesting challenges tonight--45 minutes to prepare escargot in a way that would surprise and delight Daniel Boulud, and then a classic French dish to be served to Boulud, Joel Robuchon, Hubert Keller and Laurent Tourendel. Talk about pressure! Our local boys are doing us proud. The creme are very obviously rising to the top of the melange.

I'm not sure how great a prize it is to do a week-long stage in Joel Robuchon's Las Vegas kitchen, for someone who is executive chef in his own restaurant. What is the likelihood that the jet-setting Monsieur Robuchon will actually be there in the kitchen?

As a group, the chefs this season are very impressive. I wonder how much of the casting was done in response to what has been perceived as a very weak season across the board last year? I don't see a Hosea or Stefan coming in the top 4-5 of this season talent-wise.

Great to see the Voltaggio boys doing well!

Really interesting challenges tonight--45 minutes to prepare escargot in a way that would surprise and delight Daniel Boulud, and then a classic French dish to be served to Boulud, Joel Robuchon, Hubert Keller and Laurent Tourendel. Talk about pressure! Our local boys are doing us proud. The creme are very obviously rising to the top of the melange.

Agreed. Great challenge. It's also one that looked much more like the challenges they usually only use very late in the season.

Has anybody else noticed that there seems to be much less footage this season of the contestants sitting around in their living quarters building up drama? Maybe they actually figured out that people watch TC for the cooking, not the reality show drama.

Has anybody else noticed that there seems to be much less footage this season of the contestants sitting around in their living quarters building up drama? Maybe they actually figured out that people watch TC for the cooking, not the reality show drama.

Or, it may be that there's nothing puerile or contentious happening in the group house. This season's contestants seem considerably older and more mature than the earliest seasons'--many of the earlier contestants were young line cooks and recent culinary school graduates. This current batch features a number of seasoned chefs with years of experience, many who own or run their own restaurants. They did show a group meeting held before the Air Force banquet, where the plan of approach and division of labor was discussed and conducted in a calm, sensible manner. The producers did try to make hay of the "picking teams" business, but disappointments were discussed in voice overs, not acted out. Also, there is no apparent sabotage, or "throwing each other under the bus." In this recent episode, Tom Colicchio was inferring from Ashley's demeanor, that Mattin had misrepresented her point-of-view, but that she was unwilling to "throw him under the bus." Much more mature behavior--people giving credit to others, not trying to avoid responsibility for their own decisions--than in the past. I much prefer to watch programs where people are modeling healthy competitive behavior, than where they are behaving like immature jackasses.

I much prefer to watch programs where people are modeling healthy competitive behavior, than where they are behaving like immature jackasses.

Speaking of healthy behavior, did anyone see how Michael and Jennifer were flirting in the grocery store? Or how she checked him out during judgment? OW OW!!! :rolleyes:

Or, it may be that there's nothing puerile or contentious happening in the group house. This season's contestants seem considerably older and more mature than the earliest seasons'--many of the earlier contestants were young line cooks and recent culinary school graduates. This current batch features a number of seasoned chefs with years of experience, many who own or run their own restaurants.

Fair enough, but this in and of itself may say even more than my original statement. When they cast the show, they presumably could have chosen more of the immature line cooks and recent culinary school graduates. They chose not to do so in favor of seasoned professionals. They had to know this would lead to less drama, but they did it anyway. Good for them. I suspect this is the influence of Tom, who has never been particularly keen on drama and probably grew nauseous watching Hosea and Leah canoodling during the last season.

(I want bonus points for use of the word "canoodling.")

Zora-I happened to catch a rerun of the episode where Marcel was assaulted by Cliff. It's even more shocking seeing it again. Marcel was quirky, but pretty talented. That incident, the head shaving dou, the same duo conspiring to assail Marcel's character at Judges Table- it was a waste of my time to watch.

Seriously, if TC had not taken a higher road in subsequent seasons, they would have lost me as a viewer.

This season is inspiring, and it should get more exciting as the competition narrows down.

Dan-yes, I did see some flirting...there was chemistry there, especially as Jen snuggled a bit with Mike in the stew room.

I watched Tom Colicchio on Midnight Bravo Live with Andy Cohen (oh hell... yesssss, I watch The Real Housewives of Atlanta) last night. He intimated that some dishes this week (esp. the top 2) were among the best of any season, the there are more outstanding dishes to come. When asked by a viewer if he's ever had any problem with a cheftestant's hygiene, he answered to the effect of "not really, but many veiwers are writing in about Ashley's hair".

I agree on the general level of quality this season, though i do think Stefan was more talented than Hosea and shouldn't be lumped with him. And I'm not convinced that the level of the top talent this season (in my mind, jen and kevin) is that much higher than in was before (Hung).

The relative lack of drama is great, especially as Top Chef Masters really spoiled me -- I became used to seeing great cooking without all the fuss! However, in that vein, i could do without Ashlee. I know much of it is probably editing, but her carping in the batchelorette challenge (even though I agree with her political position, I thought it was excessive and silly) , the freak-out about blanching water, etc....

also, with her panna cotta not setting--I can't believe that we're at least 5 seasons in and the contestants still don't come armed with a foolproof dessert recipe!

There seems to be three levels of contestant this season (and I REFUSE to sue th word "cheftestants). There were the weak, erratic performers, who stumble with every dish. The last of these is now gone - there should be fewer obvious, amateurish mistakes by competitors who were clearly competing out of their league.

Next to go will be the pretty compentent but not neccessarily brilliant chefs, or those with too limited a culinary POV. Hector was the first of these to go - his problem wasn't that he was bad at what he did, he just wasn't good enough. Mostly, he had a great deal of trouble with anything outside his area of specialty;i.e. classical french. These chefs will be eliminated not through obvious errors, but from a lack of refinement, or poor technique, or shortage of experience.

I expect the final five will be Kevin, Bryan, Michael Voltaggio, Jen, and Mike Isabella. I think Mike I. will have to seriously up his game to beat the other four - he's ahead of the rest of the pack, but seems to be a little less able than Kevin and The Brothers Volt. I strongly suspect that the final will come down to Kevin and one of The Brothers, but it's a little too early to be sure. As they say in football, "on any given Thursday..." I suppose Kevin could have a bad day, or Mama Volt might tell her boys to stop palying around, come home, and get back to work.

Bryan Voltaggio should be quite happy with the uptick in business his success of Top Chef is generating. Shout out to my hometown boy...

There seems to be three levels of contestant this season (and I REFUSE to sue th word "cheftestants). There were the weak, erratic performers, who stumble with every dish. The last of these is now gone - there should be fewer obvious, amateurish mistakes by competitors who were clearly competing out of their league.

Next to go will be the pretty compentent but not neccessarily brilliant chefs, or those with too limited a culinary POV. Hector was the first of these to go - his problem wasn't that he was bad at what he did, he just wasn't good enough. Mostly, he had a great deal of trouble with anything outside his area of specialty;i.e. classical french. These chefs will be eliminated not through obvious errors, but from a lack of refinement, or poor technique, or shortage of experience.

I expect the final five will be Kevin, Bryan, Michael Voltaggio, Jen, and Mike Isabella. I think Mike I. will have to seriously up his game to beat the other four - he's ahead of the rest of the pack, but seems to be a little less able than Kevin and The Brothers Volt. I strongly suspect that the final will come down to Kevin and one of The Brothers, but it's a little too early to be sure. As they say in football, "on any given Thursday..." I suppose Kevin could have a bad day, or Mama Volt might tell her boys to stop palying around, come home, and get back to work.

I agree with your analysis almost completely. I think that Jen is as good or better than Kevin. In a couple of the past seasons, the finals have had three competitors. And since they like to pit "girls against boys" whenever possible, I'm thinking that Jen will be cooking in the final.

I only wish more of the female chefs make it to the final. With the exception of Season 4, where it was Stephanie and Lisa, all the past seasons had exactly one female. And I'm afraid, after viewing the female talents in the kitchen, only Jen will be slating to go into the finals...

I agree with your analysis almost completely. I think that Jen is as good or better than Kevin. In a couple of the past seasons, the finals have had three competitors. And since they like to pit "girls against boys" whenever possible, I'm thinking that Jen will be cooking in the final.

That's fair. I don't really have a good feel for how good Jen is; I've been so busy paying attention to the boys I haven't really noticed her work, other than that she seems to continually do well. She's better than Mike Isbella, I have no doubt about that.

It will definitely be a more interesting final than last season.

So it seems that there is a consensus on the top 4 chefs...but who else would you like to see do well?

Also I was watching a repeat of last week's episode, and during the presentation of Mike V and Jen's dish you can see Jen clearly saucing one of the judge's dishes at the table (right hand corner of the screen). Found that a little curious.

First opportunity to watch this season's show last night. Disappointed.

I suppose bringing the contestants out into the desert makes sense when you're shooting in Las Vegas, but especially given how many chose to feature seafood, why not pack them into canoes and point them towards a tropical island where they are given 30 minutes to climb trees to find groceries hidden among the leaves while wearing wide, colorful headbands?

I generally agree with who the top 5 or so will be. I also agree that the game here has been clearly kicked up a notch. Most of the reality drama is gone, which is fine with me. I'd rather they focus on the cooking, the adapting and how each of these folks manages to pull off their dishes in usually at least somewhat difficult situations (time crunch or weird/silly/stupid challenge).

I think when it gets down to 7 or 8, it will become really difficult to pick/choose. It will be a matter of the slightest misstep or judgment call that will send someone home. After it is down to 5 it will become even harder. Almost impossible, actually.

I don't really have a good feel for how good Jen is; She's better than Mike Isbella, I have no doubt about that.

Having eaten dinner at both their own restaurants, I have big doubts about that.

I honestly think it should come down to Mike I. and the brothers V. And on any given night they are all capable of winning.

Hell, Robin is still there and Hector - a talent despite the deep fried steak- is gone. Anything can happen.

Well, the visiting judge was complaining about being sick during the judging session. He accused Mattin's ceviche of being the culprit. But it was Robin who served spoiled shrimp.

It is possible that they both were bad. Tom did spit out his bite of Mattin's ceviche. I think the general issue is how many of the chef's seemed to think it a good idea to try to prepare seafood in that environment. On his blog on the Bravo site, Tom expresses his own astonishment that *nobody* cooked steak. (Tom also notes something that had occurred to me--why wasn't the challenge somehow made more specific to the camping experience? Cooking whatever they want seemed a little lame.)

On his blog on the Bravo site, Tom expresses his own astonishment that *nobody* cooked steak.
My wife and I share this sentiment.

I think it's a bit of an ego thing: something Michael Voltaggio said. "I'm not cooking for the judges. I'm not cooking for my guests. I cook what I think will taste good, and hope people will like it."

Which is just a ball-droppingly stupid attitude to have in a COMPETITION.

TREBEK: It is the state tree of Virginia.

MICHAEL VOLTAGGIO: What is donkey semen?

TREBEK: No, I'm sorry, the correct answer was "dogwood."

MICHAEL VOLTAGGIO: Hey, I'm going to answer the questions I want to answer. I'm not going to tailor them to what you want to hear.

I mean, spluh. I understand that they're not playing up the "reality show" bit as much to focus more on cooking, but forgetting that: you should cook what your guests are going to want to eat. In this case, steak!!!

Bryan deserved to win: his Roasted Pork Loin over Corn Polenta with Dandelion Greens and Glazed Rutabaga was as close as anyone came to cowboy-appropriate food.

My wife and I share this sentiment.

I think it's a bit of an ego thing: something Michael Voltaggio said. "I'm not cooking for the judges. I'm not cooking for my guests. I cook what I think will taste good, and hope people will like it."

Which is just a ball-droppingly stupid attitude to have in a COMPETITION.

TREBEK: It is the state tree of Virginia.

MICHAEL VOLTAGGIO: What is donkey semen?

TREBEK: No, I'm sorry, the correct answer was "dogwood."

MICHAEL VOLTAGGIO: Hey, I'm going to answer the questions I want to answer. I'm not going to tailor them to what you want to hear.

I mean, spluh. I understand that they're not playing up the "reality show" bit as much to focus more on cooking, but forgetting that: you should cook what your guests are going to want to eat. In this case, steak!!!

Bryan deserved to win: his Roasted Pork Loin over Corn Polenta with Dandelion Greens and Glazed Rutabaga was as close as anyone came to cowboy-appropriate food.

Great post, DanCole42. I laughed my head off at the Trebek-Mike V. exchange. And I agree with you. Kind of reminds me of Sarah Palin saying she wasn't going to answer certain questions or rather the spoof on SNL w/ Tina Fey...

Am glad Bryan V. won too. I've only eaten at Volt once, but was very impressed. Can't wait to go back.