"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

I wonder how many weeks the show films...if they're hear in May, the markets will offer some exciting things.

Colicchio said in an interview I read somewhere recently that TC films an entire season in three weeks. (He said this in the context of being somewhat bemused by the fact that his entire identity for most people is attached to something that is a relatively small part of his calendar year--at least directly.)

I don't suppose there's any truth to the rumor that one of the challenges will have the contestants catering our spring picnic?

There's a huge part of me that wishes that were true. (Although if it's true and I don't know it yet, I can't decide if I'm thrilled or annoyed. :P )

At this point, though, don't plan to be off the hook for pig, mmkay? ;)

I think Don Rockwell should be a guest on the show. I just saw a facebook page set up to get Ezra Klein on the show. Um, what has he done for the DC food scene? I spent the last 24 hours in New York. During my visit a few people asked about Chang. I told them I was part of this board and it got me points for coolness.

No, seriously, think about it... Don Rocks has fostered a community spirit about and around food, allowing chefs the opportunity to showcase their craft to a wider audience.

I think Don Rockwell should be a guest on the show. I just saw a facebook page set up to get Ezra Klein on the show. Um, what has he done for the DC food scene? I spent the last 24 hours in New York. During my visit a few people asked about Chang. I told them I was part of this board and it got me points for coolness.

True TC geeks may be reminded by this post of Restaurant Wars during the Miami season. If you recall, one of the diners during that season's Restaurant Wars--unknown to the cheftestants--was a food blogger who provided input to the judges. Maybe TC will invite Rockwellians to be the diners for Restaurant Wars. . .

Colicchio said in an interview I read somewhere recently that TC films an entire season in three weeks. (He said this in the context of being somewhat bemused by the fact that his entire identity for most people is attached to something that is a relatively small part of his calendar year--at least directly.)

In the last issue of Saveur, devoted to Los Angeles, James Oseland, the magazine's editor wrote about being in L.A. for six weeks last year, to film TWO back-to-back seasons of Top Chef Masters, on which he was a judge. That explains how a few of the cheftestants got to come back for the second season after doing less than stellar work. They just had to stick around for a couple of weeks and get another go at it.

I don't suppose there's any truth to the rumor that one of the challenges will have the contestants catering our spring picnic?

Didn't you get the email about the special Don Rockwell dinner that they are making for us... (oops was that a secret?)

Thank god. Just in time. Finally.

Now that Todd English's cowardly and duplicity-laden retreat (and other, as yet, for some reason, unreported events) has marked the absurdity and the end (or at least saturation point) of absentee and no-show media chefs making news for now, the infestation and glorification of a new round of Bravolebrities is just what we need to fill the void and keep the daisy-chain circle jerk going.

ETA: This isn't to say that last season's participants weren't impressively talented individuals. They were. And a couple of the stand-outs were real class acts, whose post-fame modesty gives even more weight to the credit due to them.

Michael, they should definitely have you on as a guest judge. You would be fabulous!

Naw, I'm holding out for a spot on Shear Genius, where I truly belong. Besides, I've trying to get that damn Andy Cohen to stop calling me and asking me out for years. No way am I going to encourage him or give him false hope now.

Plus, I have a show in pre-production for a rival network: "Kitchen Tool Academy."

Since this probably is my last post before I am banned for life, I might as well say it...

It is my understanding that Craftsteak closed and is now Collichio and Sons.

Two things: One, if you can't keep your flagship enterprise open, are the Diet Coke commercials and hosting a game show really such a good idea? And two, I may be wrong, but when a business is called Someone and Sons (or Daughters), doesn't that mean that it is a multi-generational business, founded by the progenitor with the sons entering the business at a young age, learning to run it over the course of many years, eventually taking it over and then carrying on the tradition established over, let's say, at least three decades and standing for values, quality and honesty that no other business could match?

I can only imagine what Colicchio, the Judge, would say about the restaurant during Restaurant Wars that would dare give itself such a duplicitous, bogus, arrogant, hubristic and sham name.

I for one can imagine few things more pathetic and insulting by someone of his stature as such a blatant betrayal of a tradition that stands for authenticity and trust in the face of dishonesty and fraud in order to perpetrate the very dishonesty it promises against.

I rant against this apostasy, really, because before Top Chef and the subsequent, indiscriminate expansions, he really was an inspiration and model of integrity for me.

I can only imagine what Colicchio, the Judge, would say about the restaurant during Restaurant Wars that would dare give itself such a duplicitous, bogus, arrogant, hubristic and sham name.

Dismiss it as you will (and I have no doubt you will), but here's Colicchio's explanation for the name: "As for the new restaurant's name, Chef Tom is also Papa Tom, to two boys, one just four months old. 'Now after my second kid, I’m looking more into the future.'" From an Examiner story about the name change.

It is my understanding that Craftsteak closed and is now Collichio and Sons.

Two things: One, if you can't keep your flagship enterprise open, are the Diet Coke commercials and hosting a game show really such a good idea? And two, I may be wrong, but when a business is called Someone and Sons (or Daughters), doesn't that mean that it is a multi-generational business, founded by the progenitor with the sons entering the business at a young age, learning to run it over the course of many years, eventually taking it over and then carrying on the tradition established over, let's say, at least three decades and standing for values, quality and honesty that no other business could match?

I for one can imagine few things more pathetic and insulting by someone of his stature as such a blatant betrayal of a tradition that stands for authenticity and trust in the face of dishonesty and fraud in order to perpetrate the very dishonesty it promises against.

I rant against this apostasy, really, because before Top Chef and the subsequent, indiscriminate expansions, he really was an inspiration and model of integrity for me.

I am metaphorically ducking for cover here...

I agree that traditionally Someone and Sons has meant multiple family generations working in the business--my favorite being Russ and Daughters, where long-deceased Mr. Russ's great-granddaughter is now is now managing the lox and cream cheese nirvana.

But Collichio doing it is an arrogant, hubristic and narcissistic version of naming a restaurant after one's children, which several local and highly respected restaurateurs have done. Tom's just too (see above descriptors) to actually name the place with his two sons' names, or to leave out his own.

ML, I think that you need to get busy and have a kid or two (Raymond? Rayelle?) so that you will ensure the viability of your restaurants far into the future. What would life in this region be without Ray's?

Anybody have any idea how we could participate in/get invited to some of the events? I'm dying to figure out how to be one of the patrons for Restaurant Wars (or any event where they have a catering challenge for that matter!).

Looks like there is one DC-based contestant: Tamesha Warren, Sous Chef at The Oval Room. Also looks like Eric Ripert is now a regular judge.

*squeal*! Tamesha is a wonderful and warm person! I hope she did wonderfully as she does in the kitchen at The Oval Room...

Looks like Redwood is one of the places in Restaurant Wars. And there's a chance I get to see an old roommate shakily delivering a course or two while trying not to (be caught) stare(ing) at Gail/Padma/Random guest cleavage!

Looks like Redwood is one of the places in Restaurant Wars. And there's a chance I get to see an old roommate shakily delivering a course or two while trying not to (be caught) stare(ing) at Gail/Padma/Random guest cleavage!

As in Bethesda? Seriously?

was i the only one a bit bewildered by Marcus' "indian" tomato soup with what he said were the "traditional garnishes" of nuts, melons, chickpeas and sambal? granted i'm mostly used to gujarati food, but i'd never seen those all together in an indian dish before, certainly not tomato soup. and i was under the impression that sambals were from indonesia and other places but not india?

Sambal's a pretty standard accompaniment to dosas, but I can't say that I've ever gotten any with soup, seeing as how sambal's kind of soupy already. The chickpeas and melon didn't seem out of line though.

Sambal's a pretty standard accompaniment to dosas, but I can't say that I've ever gotten any with soup, seeing as how sambal's kind of soupy already. The chickpeas and melon didn't seem out of line though.

i think you're thinking of sambar, a lentil based soup that usually accompanies dosa and idli. but even if that was what he was thinking of, as you said, it'd be odd to serve it with soup, as sambar is itself a soup.

Sambal is a relishy chili paste from Indonesia that is popular in other parts of Southeast Asia. There are several different varieties of sambal click, but the ones I've seen most commonly in the Asian markets around here are sambal oelek and sambal manis.

As in Bethesda? Seriously?

Now that they took the "design your own space" out of the restaurant wars competition (a good thing) Redwood is as good a place as any. Did they keep the place shuttered up, though? I would imagine they would have gone for a place that they could keep a little more private.

i think you're thinking of sambar, a lentil based soup that usually accompanies dosa and idli. but even if that was what he was thinking of, as you said, it'd be odd to serve it with soup, as sambar is itself a soup.

It may be worth going back and watching this one with the captions turned on. It sounded like he said sambal, what was presented looked like sambar, and it's not clear that either one is what he intended.

Bravo has released the list of contestants for Top Chef: DC. Debuts Wednesday, June 16 at 9pm. Looks like there is one DC-based contestant: Tamesha Warren, Sous Chef at The Oval Room. Also looks like Eric Ripert is now a regular judge.

Don't forget Timothy Dean...I predict he will be the "controversial" contestant this season. I find it interesting that a google search didn't show his former restaurant in the Capitol Hilton. And from a few clicks, I see that controversy has followed him in to Baltimore.

Don't forget Timothy Dean...I predict he will be the "controversial" contestant this season. I find it interesting that a google search didn't show his former restaurant in the Capitol Hilton. And from a few clicks, I see that controversy has followed him in to Baltimore.

there was nothing controversial about his cooking the one time we visited his restaurant in washington at the st. regis. the food was definitely good, although i don't recall anything about the meal except that he was visiting tables. the dining room was not crowded at all, and i'm not sure the business ever picked up to what it might have been. i would have, should have returned, but it was fairly expensive, and didn't last all that long. i'm hazy on the history, but the french restaurant preceding it in the same space (?) was also relatively short-lived, and even more expensive, too expensive for me in the first place, but i never went in the second place because of a review by joel siegel in the city paper, who didn't have anything especially favorable to say about his lunch there. i am also dim on the controversy. did it have something to do with overpublicized race comments, followed by accounting problems? anyway, he will be interesting to watch. of course, how well or badly you perform on a television competition show doesn't necessarily have much bearing on what you are sending out of your kitchen, as the current top chef masters program is demonstrating. (going back to the race issue, anyone interested in an enlightening perspective might want to read "the history of white people.")

I, for one, can not imagine anything controversial whatsoever about Mr. Dean.

In fact, when he visited Ray's: The Steaks several times recently in quick succession back in November and December it quickly became obvious to me that I was in the presence of a Mastermind and Master Chef. I can not wait, in between airings of Top Chef, to sit back and watch how he "re-invents the steakhouse."

It sounds to me, at least from the website, that he has a few ideas that I could really use.

I know the wine menu is really going to light a fire under Mark Slater for him to try to play catch up.

I, for one, can not imagine anything controversial whatsoever about Mr. Dean.

In fact, when he visited Ray's: The Steaks several times recently in quick succession back in November and December it quickly became obvious to me that I was in the presence of a Mastermind and Master Chef. I can not wait, in between airings of Top Chef, to sit back and watch how he "re-invents the steakhouse."

It sounds to me, at least from the website, that he has a few ideas that I could really use.

Michael, he didn't take good enough notes from his visits to Ray's. None of his steaks are priced under $20 according to his online menu. Just sayin' he might need to come back for a few more visits.

Mod note: I've split this topic as the shows appear to have settled on divergent judging standards, and not just chef-contestants. It was also getting confusing when one was in broadcast while news was leaking about the other's upcoming series.

The Season 7 / DC thread has also been merged back in, now that this thread is pure TC.

Top Chef Masters will have its own thread here. Carry on!

What was Angelo talking about? Did he say he received a Michelin star or what? All I can find about him is a sandwich shop. From what I can tell, he worked in various restaurants under celeb chefs - Jean-Georges Vongerichten (Jean Georges), Alain Ducasse (Spoon Food & Wine) and Stephen Starr (Buddakan) - comes across as a Top Douche.

I found it fascinating that T. Dean was harshly judged by Eric Ripert for leaving the skin on his rockfish--it seemed to be the primary reason he was included in the bottom-scored group. However, that seems to be the locally "traditional" way to serve rockfish: pan-crisping the skin and then oven roasting until the fish is done. That is certainly the advice that the fish chefs at BlackSalt always provided. So--is this an example of outsider "experts" not being attuned enough to local food? The challenge was to present a dish that represents where the chef is from--it seemed to me that Timothy Dean had done that.

I'm just happy that the chef that lost this week was the first one kicked off. It may sound superficial, but I don't want anyone cooking for me that looks that dirty, it kind of freaked me out.

I picked him to go first, too. Doing a dessert right out of the gate is risky, yes, but it can garner a lot of respect and praise from the judges if done right. I thought that Chef Dreads gave himself a whole lot of credit for choosing a dessert, while he lacked insight regarding how using store bought puff pastry would be received. It was the kiss of death.

This isn't Top Frozen Prepared Foods, afterall :)

Angelo is the new Marcel, with an extra dollop of putz with his name dropping. What an eyeball roller that was. With all of his bravado, he's as insecure as they come.

Is it me, or is the testosterone factor teetering on ridiculous this season?

I picked him to go first, too. Doing a dessert right out of the gate is risky, yes, but it can garner a lot of respect and praise from the judges if done right. I thought that Chef Dreads gave himself a whole lot of credit for choosing a dessert, while he lacked insight regarding how using store bought puff pastry would be received. It was the kiss of death.

This isn't Top Frozen Prepared Foods, afterall :)

Angelo is the new Marcel, with an extra dollop of putz with his name dropping. What an eyeball roller that was. With all of his bravado, he's as insecure as they come.

Is it me, or is the testosterone factor teetering on ridiculous this season?

There are quite a few asshats in the group that is for sure. Some of the folks are clearly overwhelmed by the situation and it will be interesting to see if they can turn it around.

What was Angelo talking about? Did he say he received a Michelin star or what? All I can find about him is a sandwich shop. From what I can tell, he worked in various restaurants under celeb chefs - Jean-Georges Vongerichten (Jean Georges), Alain Ducasse (Spoon Food & Wine) and Stephen Starr (Buddakan) - comes across as a Top Douche.

He is being promoted as having received one but I can't find any evidence either. And he fails to mention it on his profile on the Lucky Rice culinary council (and looks terribly out of place as compared to the other members) (http://www.luckyrice.com/council).

Though he just flew in from Monaco right before the show, so he could be having some jet lag.