"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

Wow. Just a quick commentary to say you can tell how uninteresting this show is as it has been almost 2 weeks since anybody posted on this thread.

and the purpose of my post...

In lieu of watching the bland DC Top Chef, I have greatly enjoyed this humorous commentary on the Washingtonian.

Actually I some what enjoyed last night's pre-finale episode...but probably because it was based in Singapore. Ed has kind of grown on me (got love him messing with Angelo)

Wow. Just a quick commentary to say you can tell how uninteresting this show is as it has been almost 2 weeks since anybody posted on this thread.

and the purpose of my post...

In lieu of watching the bland DC Top Chef, I have greatly enjoyed this humorous commentary on the Washingtonian.

Spoiler Alert in the Washingtonian link- It is probably more than speculation that many have seen previews of TC All Stars and have deduced which one of the three remaining did NOT win.

Seems like Ed went out of his way to fuck with Angelo and he just isn't very gracious about anything. Okay Ed, you have a learning disability and you have a big chip on your shoulder, but that doesn't give you the right to be a douchebag to other people. In the end, karma bit you in the ass cause you got Ilan as your sous chef and you can't making a dessert to win Top Chef. I'm glad this awful season is over and congrats to Kevin for winning although I have no desire to eat any of the 3 finalists' food. Sadly I'm not looking forward to the "all douchebag" season.

On the reunion show last night, Amanda said she saw Alex make the pea puree. Tiffany's basically said - I don't believe you - implying that she thinks that Alex and Amanda are both liars.

As for next season, I think it should be called "All Mediawhores."

What a joke the finale was. Meh.

Ed basically blamed his loss on Ilan. I don't really understand why they can't just give the contestants enough time to do everything by themselves.

This 'all-star' season could be very good. So far with the first episode, it is. I have a few of my own favorites, but this could at least be a nice step up from last season.

I don't think the chefs from last season were chopped liver. In fact, I suspect Angelo and Tiffany will do well. Here's list of contestants and how I think they'll fare.

1-2.

Richard Blais; Season 4 finalist

Angelo Sosa; Season 7 finalist

3-4.

Marcel Vigneron; Season 2 finalist

Tre Wilcox; Season 3, top eight

5-7

Jennifer Carroll; Season 6, final four

Tiffany Derry; Season 7, top five

Dale Talde; Season 4, top six

8-10.

Tiffani Faison; Season 1 finalist

Antonia Lofaso; Season 4, final four

Casey Thompson; Season 3 finalist and Fan Favorite

11-13.

Mike Isabella; Season 6, top seven

Jamie Lauren; Season 5, top seven

Spike Mendelsohn; Season 4, top five

14-16.

Fabio Viviani; Season 5, final four and Fan Favorite

Carla Hall; Season 5 finalist

Dale Levitski; Season 3 finalist

17. Stephen Asprinio; Season 1, top five

18. Elia Aboumrad; Season 2, final four (she's gone, but what was she wearing in the kitchen anyway?)

I don't think the chefs from last season were chopped liver. In fact, I suspect Angelo and Tiffany will do well. Here's list of contestants and how I think they'll fare.

1-2.

3-4.

5-7

8-10.

11-13.

14-16.

18. Elia Aboumrad; Season 2, final four (she's gone, but what was she wearing in the kitchen anyway?)

Wow, if I had to rank them, I think that I would come up with essentially the same list. I think that a female competitor will get into the top 4 and replace Marcel. If I had my druthers, it would be Casey, but I have a distinct feeling that it will be Jamie, which isn't good because she doesn't seem to be all that nice.

I am looking forward to a good season because the last season was quite miserable.

Wow, if I had to rank them, I think that I would come up with essentially the same list. I think that a female competitor will get into the top 4 and replace Marcel. If I had my druthers, it would be Casey, but I have a distinct feeling that it will be Jamie, which isn't good because she doesn't seem to be all that nice.

I agree completely. That list is about what I'd guess, too, with Marcel moving down several spots.

I am looking forward to a good season because the last season was quite miserable.

+1

1-2.

3-4.

5-7

8-10.

11-13.

14-16.

I think Dale L. might go farther...I hope Spike crashes and burns sooner.Tiffani might do better and I also completely agree that at least one of the final four will be female - probably Jennifer. Angelo top 2? I sure hope not. He's talented for sure, but his drama is unwanted and trite. I think he'll be top 8, maybe even top 4 if I stretch my imagination.

I also completely agree that at least one of the final four will be female - probably Jennifer.

I am a Jennifer Carroll fan. Over the summer she made an incredible meal while I was entertaining a client. The most tender and wonderful sweetbreads that I have ever had.

I haven't seen the whole episode, but basically f*^%k them - Jen can make me bacon and eggs any morning

That's pretty much what she said (but I'm not eating bacon and eggs anymore, evah, in one sitting no matter who's cooking it). In one respect I agreed with her. If the bacon is salty enough, there's no need to salt the diced eggs on top. I don't know why the judges would taste each component of one dish separately.

Jen is the best Top Chef of all time.

Um...I disagree. She's a very good chef and had the chops to go to the finals, unless she choked (which she did here). But what really baffles me is that why was Jamie not eliminated? She did *nothing* basically. Just so puzzling.

Um...I disagree. She's a very good chef and had the chops to go to the finals, unless she choked (which she did here). But what really baffles me is that why was Jamie not eliminated? She did *nothing* basically. Just so puzzling.

I agree entirely on Jamie. How could she not be sent home? Why not cut yourself during every challenge if it puts you safely in the middle of the pack?

I was really surprised it was Jen over Tre whose sauce seemed to be unedible. But hey I didn't taste the food. I am sad to see her go. I think she probably needed some sleep and was annoyed with the restrictions of the challenge. But still you have to play the game and she knew that. I for one will miss seeing her in the upcoming shows as she was one of my favorites from past seasons.

As Jen's season progressed, I felt that she did worse with every challenge, she started off with a bang, but couldn't keep up with the big boys in the end. Even though that was a few seasons ago, it almost seems as though that negative momentum carried over to this season, as she was absolutely a mess on the episode this past Wednesday. We can't really determine, from watching on TV, if her dish really sucked as much as the judges thought, but even if it was average, she was clearly off her game entirely.

I agree that Jamie should have gone home for doing nothing, I think that every once in a while they should just get rid of two people to send a message, they should have done that on this episode.

from Tom's blog:

Tiffani may have thought at the moment that she heard the challenge that “Carnivore” meant “Omnivore,” but as soon as I finish explaining each Elimination Challenge to the contestants on camera, a producer of the show comes and explains it in far greater — and more boring — detail. So Tiffani knew within minutes of choosing the T-Rex diet that it meant meat and meat by-products ... and only meat and meat by-products. On the other hand, the other team was barred not only from the use of bacon and eggs (breakfast staples), but also from the use of dairy (the other breakfast staple!), so the playing field was more than level.

I read this to mean that Tom's explanation wasn't very good, and Tiffani didn't know for sure what she could use until after she chose T-Rex. That's sandbagging in my book. In a high-stakes competition, I don't know why they (the producers, Tom C. ,etc.) can't be more informative.

I agree that Jamie should have gone home for doing nothing, I think that every once in a while they should just get rid of two people to send a message, they should have done that on this episode.

I think there is an interesting dynamic on Top Chef. On one hand if Angelo last season couldn't perform in the finale due to health reasons he wouldn't have been considered, he didn't get a pass he got eliminated so to speak. And if a chef soldiers through with an injury they are still expected to cook well. But clearly Jamie got a pass. I guess the lesson here is if you are injured go to the hospital and don't soldier on. In some way I feel like if you have an injury and need medical attention you shouldn't be penalized, but then again if you do nothing in a challenge when you could have perhaps done something... I think the rules should be clearer and more consistent on injuries.

from Tom's blog:

I read this to mean that Tom's explanation wasn't very good, and Tiffani didn't know for sure what she could use until after she chose T-Rex. That's sandbagging in my book. In a high-stakes competition, I don't know why they (the producers, Tom C. ,etc.) can't be more informative.

Tom clearly said in the episode that the T-Rex team would have available to them "meat and meat by-products such as eggs and diary only". Video here.

Tom clearly said in the episode that the T-Rex team would have available to them "meat and meat by-products such as eggs and diary only". Video here.

Since you think it's so clear, let me ask you whether team T-Rex could use salt, pepper, vegetable oil, or garlic? If you interpret the word "only" literally, then presumably they can't use any of the items I mentioned. They can cook the food anyway they want but they can't use any seasoning?

Can team Brontosaurus use butter?

Since you think it's so clear, let me ask you whether team T-Rex could use salt, pepper, vegetable oil, or garlic? If you interpret the word "only" literally, then presumably they can't use any of the items I mentioned. They can cook the food anyway they want but they can't use any seasoning?

Can team Brontosaurus use butter?

Hell if I know - Tom's instructions didn't get into seasonings..

Colicchio wrote in his blog that the producers of the show explain each challenge in greater detail off-camera*, and more specific parameters were given.

* During TC: Just Desserts, one episode showed this procedure. The contestants were brought back to the stew room, where a producer went over all the rules of a certain quick-fire. It aired because Seth had a breakdown after being explicitly told he could not make his own ice cream.

Colicchio wrote in his blog that the producers of the show explain each challenge in greater detail off-camera*, and more specific parameters were given.

My point is that's too late if the choice had already been made. Explaining to someone the rules after the fact is absurd in my opinion unless a part of the show is about being cryptic, e.g., in the Amazing Race, I don't think they know the details of the challenge until after they made a choice.

My point is that's too late if the choice had already been made. Explaining to someone the rules after the fact is absurd in my opinion unless a part of the show is about being cryptic, e.g., in the Amazing Race, I don't think they know the details of the challenge until after they made a choice.

It does seem as if further details were not explained until after the choice (although it seems as if quick-fires start as soon as they're given too, when in reality they are prompted for awhile then returned to their spots in the kitchen). Personally, I don't think it was a deceptively crippling situation. Tiffani's team won the quick-fire advantage because they made a sugar ball for kids (not exactly a great culinary feat) and then lost the elimination challenge because of execution issues (over salted, under salted and undercooked) more so than a discrepancy in product.

Jen seems to think there was a conspiracy to remove her from competition, which I find hard to believe from Bravo's standpoint. Her status as a fan favorite would outweigh the one-week controversy of her removal.

* During TC: Just Desserts, one episode showed this procedure. The contestants were brought back to the stew room, where a producer went over all the rules of a certain quick-fire. It aired because Seth had a breakdown after being explicitly told he could not make his own ice cream.

Imagine if he couldn't use Red Hots!!!

Lots of people like Dale L. because he's flamboyant and outrageous but I didn't think he was really that great of a chef. A look at his performance on season 3 showed him winning quickfire once, was up for elimination 4 times, was in the best performance group 5 times with 1 win. I'll miss his funny lines though.

MY !*@%ing Media Center DVR didn't records the last couple minutes of the show! My husband blames Bravo for not timing the shows well with the TV guide. I blame the computer! I had to go online to see who lost. I was really happy for Dale to win, I think he kept true to himself, but went out of the box too. His dish looked awesome I wish I could have eaten it.

MY !*@%ing Media Center DVR didn't records the last couple minutes of the show! My husband blames Bravo for not timing the shows well with the TV guide. I blame the computer! I had to go online to see who lost. I was really happy for Dale to win, I think he kept true to himself, but went out of the box too. His dish looked awesome I wish I could have eaten it.

FWIW, this happens with everything on Food Network and TLC that I TiVo. I have to add a minute to every season pass or I miss 30-90 seconds at the end.

Lots of people like Dale L. because he's flamboyant and outrageous but I didn't think he was really that great of a chef. A look at his performance on season 3 showed him winning quickfire once, was up for elimination 4 times, was in the best performance group 5 times with 1 win. I'll miss his funny lines though.

I think he's a better chef than that, but I think he faced a lot of stiff competition this season. I will definitely miss him from the show though. Here's to his appearance eventually of Top Chef Seniors!

Given that 3 others were up for elimination, this seemed like the perfect time for producers to exercise their right to keep Dale on for personality considerations over his abilities as a chef. The show is truly worse with Dale off of it this early in the competition, and they could have easily gotten rid of Tiffani (iirc), who no one would have missed. Oh well...

I know Fabio likes to play the melodrama card, but dude if you can roll out pasta and make ravioli and tortellini then you should be able to make some competent dumplings...don't give us this I am an Italian chef, what do I know about Chinese cooking.

I heard that the all-stars got schooled by Asian moms last night. True? Is it worth watching online?

I would say it was more that they got schooled by the challenges of working in a dim sum/high volume restaurant, but there were definitely some pissed Asian moms too. I think the ep is worth watching because 1) seeing tom cook in the quickfire is great--i know part of it is that he had 2 days to think about the challenge rather than the few minutes the chefs get to prep for the quickfire, but even factoring that in (and from his blog it doesn't seem like he took advantage of the 2 days or thought much about the challenge before going into it) he was just so, so much better than the contestants in terms of organization and economy of movement; and 2) it was interesting to see the contestants fail miserably at the challenge. i get the feel that a number of them have only worked at "fine dining" establishments and may in fact have looked down on chefs in places like the dim sum palace. So i think this challenge was probably a bit of an eye opener for them.

but it also highlighted one of the problems i've consistently had with the judging of top chef--the chefs are given a challenge and have diners besides the judges to feed, yet the other diners' experiences and the degree to which the contestants fulfilled the challenges aren't given much weight. For example, in this challenge, some of the chefs were definitely better at getting their dishes out than others (thus doing a much better job of actually feeding their diners), and this didn't seem to be factored in to the judging much, because the judges' food was plated separately and served at the beginning, all at once, rather than at the same time the diners ate it. while this probably gives the judges the best shot at properly evaluating the best food the contestants can put out, it often penalizes the contestants who try to cater to their diners, so it seems there's little point in having the other diners there anyway, because the judges get food specially prepared for them.

I heard that the all-stars got schooled by Asian moms last night. True? Is it worth watching online?

They were asked to prepare dim sum for a restaurant in Chinatown. Predictably, the chefs sucked and couldn't bring out the food. Just as predictably, the diners got tired of waiting and some went to raid the carts rather than wait to order. Just like Hell's Kitchen, some diners just got up and left. This isn't top dim sum and it's very likely some of the contestants never had dim sum before - humorous to watch but not really a fair test in my opinion. Casey deep fried her chicken feet after wasting time trimming the tip off of each claw :) - the product was deemed inedible and so she was gone. Carla made a summer roll - which looked good but has no flavor (which I don't blame Carla because I've never had a summer roll with a lot of flavor, it's just the nature of Vietnamese summer rolls) - the judges didn't give her any grief for getting the cuisine wrong and not doing anything creative. Jaime executed two poor dishes - steamed scallop dumpling made with store bought wrapper used for boiled dumplings, and a greasy chinese long bean dish. Tre made a crappy dessert. No Asian mom schooled anyone. Dale, Asian dude of Filipino descent, schooled everyone with another elimination win.