FunnyJohn

Fiola, Penn Quarter in the old Le Paradou Space - The First Member of Gruppo FT Restaurants

Is Penn Quarter about the greatest concentration of high-end fare this side of New York? I can't think of another 'neighborhood' that can top Penn Quarter for close-by quality eating, with maybe Old Town a distant second....

Is Penn Quarter about the greatest concentration of high-end fare this side of New York? I can't think of another 'neighborhood' that can top Penn Quarter for close-by quality eating, with maybe Old Town a distant second....

I believe that Dupont tops Old Town and with just 3 restaurants gives Penn Quarter a run for best 'neighborhood' for eating - Komi, Eola, Sushi Taro

Penn Quarter would be among of the best neighborhoods for restaurants in New York if it were there (and maybe then it would have a bodega, which it sorely lacks). To think that people thought Jose Andres was crazy when he moved into the Lansburgh. I think I'd pick Clarendon/Courthouse as second best in the DC area.

I hope Fiola attracts a crowd. That corner of Penn Quarter has always been pretty sleepy after the court closes, though the Source (which, I guess, is technically on the wrong side of the street to be in PQ) was pretty busy for a Tuesday the last time I was there.

Penn Quarter would be among of the best neighborhoods for restaurants in New York if it were there (and maybe then it would have a bodega, which it sorely lacks). To think that people thought Jose Andres was crazy when he moved into the Lansburgh. I think I'd pick Clarendon/Courthouse as second best in the DC area.

I hope Fiola attracts a crowd. That corner of Penn Quarter has always been pretty sleepy after the court closes, though the Source (which, I guess, is technically on the wrong side of the street to be in PQ) was pretty busy for a Tuesday the last time I was there.

Damned Source had already squeezed me from Indiana onto Constitution. NOW what?

(That cold streak you see sprinting across the mall is cheap-fuck DonRocks.)

No need to be a cheap-fuck on the the wrong side of the Mall. Park up by the Passenger (some meters on the east side of the street in the next block north end at 6:30). I mean, you're gonna end up there anyway!

Perhaps in time for the four-year anniversary?

One of the all-time great threads on this board and definitely an achievement you should mention in your induction speech to the Nerd Hall of Fame. :(

Along with preparing his own space, the chef is on the scene in his new neighborhood. From a National Gallery of Art email....

"Chef Fabio Trabocchi and David Rogers (Restaurant Associates), created a signature menu of Italian dishes now being served in the West Building's Garden Café Italia in honor of the exhibition Venice: Canaletto and His Rivals, which opens February 20."

www.nga.gov/ginfo/cafes.shtm#garden

Along with preparing his own space, the chef is on the scene in his new neighborhood. From a National Gallery of Art email....

"Chef Fabio Trabocchi and David Rogers (Restaurant Associates), created a signature menu of Italian dishes now being served in the West Building’s Garden Café Italia in honor of the exhibition Venice: Canaletto and His Rivals, which opens February 20."

www.nga.gov/ginfo/cafes.shtm#garden

I posted about my meal there here.

According to Tom's chat today, the Chef has hired Miles Vaden, from Eventide, as executive chef.

These are other hires he mentions:

Hiring update from Mr. Trabocchi (and it's a doozy):

Federico Galeotti GM from VILLA PACRI NY

Adrian Reynolds Pizzeria Mozza LA WINE DIRECTOR

Megan Scott Central DC Restaurant Manager

Justus Frank Eventide Chef de Cuisine

Jeff Faile Palena Bar Manager

From Tom's chat today:

THIS JUST IN: As he moves ever closer to a target date of (keep your fingers crossed) April 5 for his highly-anticipated Fiola, star chef Fabio Trabocchi tells me he's hired Miles Vaden, whose departure from the kitchen at Eventide was announced just yesterday, as executive chef for his forthcoming Italian restaurant in Washington.

Trabocchi says he selected Vaden, 33, whom he refers to as "a rising star," for his cooking skills and maturity. "I want to help him get to the next level," says Trabocchi, who dazzled Washington audiences with his four-star cooking at the late Maestro and New York audiences at the now-shuttered Fiamma. Trabocchi is also adding Jason Gehring, the former pastry chef at the esteemed Charleston in Baltimore, to his team.

Hiring update from Mr. Trabocchi (and it's a doozy):

Federico Galeotti GM from VILLA PACRI NY

Adrian Reynolds Pizzeria Mozza LA WINE DIRECTOR

Megan Scott Central DC Restaurant Manager

Justus Frank Eventide Chef de Cuisine

Jeff Faile Palena Bar Manager

That's a lot of talent in one space...can't wait!

Evidently, we will not have to wait much longer. According to the restaurant, Fiola will be opening on April 18 and is taking reservations now. The phone number is 202-628-2888. If you happen to subscribe to UrbanDaddy, their opening date of April 11th is incorrect. I talked with the restaurant before posting this message and my starting date is directly from them.

Rob

Evidently, we will not have to wait much longer. According to the restaurant, Fiola will be opening on April 18 and is taking reservations now. The phone number is 202-628-2888. If you happen to subscribe to UrbanDaddy, their opening date of April 11th is incorrect. I talked with the restaurant before posting this message and my starting date is directly from them.

. . . but I have (or so I thought) a reservation for April 16th, that my husband made on the phone. He just called back to check on that and was told that, indeed, the opening is April 18th. The person he just spoke with has apparently changed our reservation to April 23rd. I'm thinking I'd better call back tomorrow and confirm that. B)

On Tom's chat today, he says: "The good news is, Fabio Trabocchi is opening Fiola (202-628-2888) for dinner this Friday, and the chef-restaurateur is offering a 10 percent discount off patrons' bills during the soft opening stage." (That included a link to a blurb Tom wrote for GOG.)

On Tom's chat today, he says: "The good news is, Fabio Trabocchi is opening Fiola (202-628-2888) for dinner this Friday, and the chef-restaurateur is offering a 10 percent discount off patrons' bills during the soft opening stage." (That included a link to a blurb Tom wrote for GOG.)

I have to wonder why we weren't offered that when we called for reservations when we called yesterday to confirm the opening date, our reservation for April 16 was changed to April 23. B)