Pupatella, a Local Neapolitan Pizza Chain Undergoing Expansion

I went last night around 6 and it wasn't too bad. There was steady traffic but the wait wasn't too long (we waited less than 5 minutes for starters and 15-20 minutes for the pizzas). This is good news for me - I'm contemplating a move to the neighborhood that's largely motivated by proximity to Pupatella.

As astrid said - coming here around 6:00pm is not too bad. Any time after will require good patience. By the time I arrived around 6:00pm on Friday night, we grabbed the last available table that I could see, which was a two top. Thereafter, it was a bit like a bar scene, where there were squatters casually standing near those they thought were finishing their meals. I think this is great that they are busy. There was a steady line between 6 and 7pm and I really like the buzzer system. Staff was efficiently busy.

My friend felt like a simple margherita and it was truly delicious. Definitely worth the wait here.

So, in full disclosure, I'm firmly in the 2Amys is best camp. Partly because it's convenient but mostly because it's great. But, of course there are downsides including prices, crowds, noise and really variable service. OK--context there.

With all the raves here about Pupatella, drove all the way out there this week solely to give it a try. Two big thumbs up. On quality and deliciousness only, 2Amys still gets my number 1 vote but I'm pretty firmly aligned with what ironstomach (something like that; should have quoted him but on the previous page and didn't want to mess with it) said: generally very positive but not hyperbolic.

Pupatella's 'za is very good. I like the size (bit smaller) and dough better at 2Amys but it's close. Nitpicking, I'd like a bit more height to the crust with lighter, more airy dough and a bit more crispiness to the perimeter (not to the pie, which must be wet, fresh and soft as this was). Love the obsessive focus on San Marzanos and the imported bufala. Was a tad disappointed with the sausage but maybe was an off day? It LOOKED awesome, grilled and sliced into half-dollar sized medallions. But mine weren't very flavorful. More about the visual and texture than taste. But, all in, an excellent pie.

What I most liked about this place was it's total lack of pretentiousness, model simplicity and clear focus on managing costs to survive and thrive...except when it comes to ingredients. Heard another diner bitching about cheaper furniture--whatever. Limited menu. Bus your own tables. Lower prices than 2Amys. Outsourced gelato. LOVE all those decisions because they speak to owners that are building a business the right way--with great product and to last. It's an honest place--what you see is what you get. If only more places were like that.

Really good pizza. Great place. Liked it as soon as I went in and saw Enzo with hat and shades prepping pies. Totally different vibe than 2Amys---a better vibe. And pies almost as good. A top 5 for me to be sure.

Finally found the strength to explore beyond the pizza. Was going to be splitting with friends so we added the croquette, arancino, and fried brussel sprouts to our order along with a pizza. These were fantastic. The croquette of potato, prosciutto, and mozzarella was light, slightly salty, and with a crispy thin crust was the best of a good bunch. The brussel sprouts were tossed with apples and a balsamic glaze for the right mix of salty, sweet, sour. Highly recommended.

I saw on Pupatella's Facebook page that they had sfogliatelle as a dessert special. My wife was making ziti last night for dinner, and I figured this would be a great dessert (some of her family are from Naples) to bring home. I got there at around 5:30 and the place was pretty quite - something I'll remember the next time I decide to go there for dinner.

Enzo took my order for 2 sfogliatelle to go and Anastasiya brought them out and gave me instructions for warming them up (4 minutes in a 400 degree oven). My Great-Grandmother often told us that a proper dessert should be "A little something sweet to taper off on", and these sure fit the bill. They were the perfect ending to a most satisfactory meal, just the right size and slightly warm after the designated time in the oven. Thank you Pupatella!

TSchaad

Tried it with friends for the first time tonight and everything was fantastic. We got there early (5ish) while it was still quiet, but it was hopping by the time we left at 6 something. The char and the airy, chewy crust will probably make this my favorite pizza place in the area, but I have to go at least once more to make sure! The croquette is a touch better as the ultimate comfort food over the aracino (2), but I think I'll have to switch over to salad to start once it gets warmer. Our pizzas (real margherita and one with olives, mushrooms, ham, and artichokes) were excellent, but the star was definitely the fried calzone. It's sad they won't let you take this out, but I understand - the delicate crunch and oozing middle when you dig into your fresh, huge calzone is unreal and would likely suffer a bit even on a short ride (I'd be willing to test this!). It's heavy but heavenly and a must-try. Our sfogliatelle were a lovely ending, and we can't wait to come back!!

The white pizza (special) with slices of white and purple potatoes, rosemary, thin onions, and topped with a runny egg is the ultimate breakfast pizza. Of course, it was ridiculously delicious at night but I was longing for a fresh slice (or even leftover, which sadly, I ate last night so I wouldn't ruin it with refrigeration) this morning. It was nearly perfect, needing only a touch of sea salt (readily available on the bus-yourself table) to liven it up, and as I traded bites with my fried-calzone eating partner, I thought that a few curls of proscuitto would have made this a pizza to die for.

We were in around 8:45 last night, the perfect time on a rainy Sat. night. The place was still busy, but we beat the last few stragglers for the night, had no trouble finding seating, and had our food within 10 minutes or so. Definitely worth the drive in from Fairfax.

I guess it was due to the first day of beautifully nice weather, but I was glad that this place was not as crowded as times past. Little man likes coming here and I have no problem indulging him, for who can resist the beauty of Anastasia taking your order and Enzo creating your masterpiece.

A Ricotta-parmasean-mozzarella w/ no sauce creation puts us at around $11-12 but lasts us a few days. The creation even made another table ask what looked so good?

In fact, I am enjoying mine as a snack right now, which is why I am reminded to post. It was a great place to celebrate post-car-buying stresses.

I'm still a week behind on my dcdining.com reviews, and when the time I write this up comes it will be too late:

GO TO PUPATELLA AND GET THE FRIED ZUCCHINI BLOSSOMS NOW! They're gone at the end of the month. As good as any fried vegetable you'll ever have! Trust me on this one. $4 for two huge pieces.

Cheers,

Rocks

GO TO PUPATELLA AND GET THE FRIED ZUCCHINI BLOSSOMS NOW! They're gone at the end of the month. As good as any fried vegetable you'll ever have! Trust me on this one. $4 for two huge pieces.

I had this a couple of weeks ago and I could not agree more. The only thing that troubles me is why it did not occur to me to tell anyone about it. Time for some soul searching....... B)

I had this a couple of weeks ago and I could not agree more. The only thing that troubles me is why it did not occur to me to tell anyone about it. Time for some soul searching....... B)

-chagrined- me too. Sorry guys! Catch them while you can!

Also, last time they had the special potato white pizza, getting proscuitto on top was an option.

-chagrined- me too. Sorry guys! Catch them while you can!

Also, last time they had the special potato white pizza, getting proscuitto on top was an option.

Also, they'll drop an egg on it for a buck or so. It remains to be seen if they'll let you take a nap on the couch afterwards, however.

Also, they'll drop an egg on it for a buck or so. It remains to be seen if they'll let you take a nap on the couch afterwards, however.

I had this pizza with the egg and the prosciutto, and it's a must-order. That said, I advise getting it without the prosciutto ($4) because it's too much of a good thing and dominates the other, more subtle, flavors (note that it's also vegetarian without the prosciutto). As with all egg pizzas, cut the egg and distribute evenly before La Grande Abbuffata.

Cheers,

Rocks

I get here so infrequently, since it's too much hassle to come across the river during rush hour on weeknights, and they're closed on Sunday which is generally my free day.

So, when my son and I realized we had a couple of free hours around lunchtime today, it was an easy call to drive down to Pupatella. And now I need to get back soon, because once you go you realize how far ahead of everyone else Enzo and Anastasiya's place is.

SIDE SALAD (organic baby arugula, cherry tomatoes, basil, Kalamata olives) lightly dressed and in perfect harmony. Super ripe and flavorful tomatoes.

PANZAROTTI (potato croquettes stuffed with mozzarella and prosciutto) leaving the croquettes from Jaleo far behind in taste, quality and balance.

THE REAL MARGHERITA DOC (Neapolitan buffalo mozzarella, basil & olive oil) the most perfect pizza I have ever eaten, bar none.

DAILY SPECIAL (Imported salami, smoked mozzarella) why do you need pepperoni when you have this?

The best surprise: Enzo was supervising someone else at the pizza oven. No, really, he was letting someone else touch the paddle. And the pizzas were still great. A little conversation let on that once he's comfortable that the staff can run things smoothly without him touching every pie, they'll look at opening Sunday/Monday.

I remember when they first opened the cart, and they've come so far. Bravi, Enzo and Anastasiya. I couldn't be happier for you!

Still on the specials menu tonight. Better to eat in than carry home. Still tasty.

There is a sign in the window seeking a a chef with wood burning oven experience.

Yum. Not much I can add to the kudos here, except that they are stocking the delicious Victory "Summer of Love" ale, which, like all Victory offerings, makes an orthodox style impeccably, with just a hint of extra dryness that refreshes.

That said, next time I'll order my pie unsliced so it can set up a little.

We went for the first time last night. The pizze were awesome. The panzarotti were fantastic! The arugula/prosciutto/Parmesan salad was tasty. My only complaint is that I didn't know how the hell to get my food. I figured out quickly enough that I had to stand in line and run up to the front of the line to get a menu so that I'm prepared when we finally get there. There were no tables available, so we got a pager and went to the patio. The pager went off and I assumed I needed to go pick up my food. When I got to the pick up area, I found a waitress who seemed lost that no one was coming for the food in her hand. I got her attention and she carried the food to the patio for me. We got through the croquettes and the pager went off again. I got up (again) and went back through the crowded restaurant to find the person holding my food. This new server carried our pizze out to the patio for me, again. I realized I needed more beer so I got up, again, and got in line for new brews. I put more tip in the jar because I realized that it's not a serve yourself type place. I got back to the table and we enjoyed the meal immensely. The dough was terrific and the sauce level was just right. The pizze came sliced, but they were thoroughly cooked and nicely charred with great spotting and blistering. We bussed our table and headed out. We really enjoyed the food, and I'm fine with a dive-type experience, I just wasn't ready for it. We'll be back, but I also look forward to the next iteration of Pupatella where there's more room to spread out and it's a more relaxing meal (and less work for me!).

As much as I love their classic margherita, the specials have continued to improve with every visit -- last weekend's salmon pizza being their best yet. A white pizza with thin slices of smoked salmon, lots of arugula, cherry tomatoes and shaved parmesan…simply one of the best pizzas I've ever had, here or anywhere else.

I don't live nearby (at all), but I'll continue to make weekend trips because this place is doing phenomenal work, at fair prices, in a fun atmosphere (the sign with "Die, Pizza Hut!" on the wall made me smile, and I don't even mind Pizza Hut).

Loving the Fig and Pig pizza I’m eating right now. Figs, prosciutto and fontina with balsamic: delicious. The prosciutto is sliced so well and is so easy to eat – no slipping off, or crunchy/crusty ends. I wrestled with whether to pick this one or the roasted corn special, but this is excellent – and came out looking like a picture.

Loving the Fig and Pig pizza Im eating right now. Figs, prosciutto and fontina with balsamic: delicious. The prosciutto is sliced so well and is so easy to eat no slipping off, or crunchy/crusty ends. I wrestled with whether to pick this one or the roasted corn special, but this is excellent and came out looking like a picture.

I saw one of those being made!! Looked lovely. I opted for the lunch special (arugula salad, classico pizza, and an Italian soda - they have blood orange!), which is a terrific deal. They weren't very busy at late lunchtime, so it didn't take but a few minutes to get my pizza. I got it to go, which only forced me to eat the first couple of pieces in my car (the smell would have driven me mad otherwise), resulting in tomato-laced olive oil running down my chin and fingers. That's good for leather, right?

Everybody knows that the place gets crowded

Everybody arrives with their fingers crossed

Everybody knows once the wait is over

Everybody knows the menu will rock

Everybody knows to feed their itch

The prosciutto warm, the fontina rich

That's how it goes

Everybody knows

Everybody knows that Enzo is smiling

Everybody knows his Neapolitan pie

Everybody got this blissed out feeling

Like with their father or their dog got high*

*This is what happens when Leonard Cohen meets another expertly blistered creation and a couple of glasses of a Virginia Chambourcin.

(Move along.)

(Nothing to ennui here.)

This past week I dined in and did take out on two seperate occassions. I always order the pizza specials. I tried the meatball pizza (there was more to it...can't remember) and it was okay. Nothing spectacular. I did take out next and got the butternut squash pizza. Wow. Go eat this pizza. Butternut squash puree is the 'sauce' with more unique textures and flavors provided by the Brussels sprouts, pine nuts, and porchetta. Blindfold the kids if you have to, everyone should try this pizza!

Back patio area is now open. It was beautiful last week.

So consistently wonderful eating here that little man will ask specifically by request. Last time I went with a family from little man's school I finally ventured outside my comfort zone and had polenta cakes here. It's soooo good!

We tried the fried pizza special this week. The crust is amazingly light and greaseless, and the toppings added a lot of flavor.

I hope they'll add a few fried pizzas to their regular rotation - this is a pizza that's worth gaining weight for!

Had wonderful prosciutto arugula pizza today. The crust was perfect to me - a little chewy but not dense, not crispy but a little charred. Prosciutta and arugula on every bite, with lots of shaved parmesan cheese. On the other hand, the fried Brussels sprout special was a little bitter. Can't really figure out how much to tip - because you order at the register, they bring you the food, and then you bus your own table.

Squash blossoms are back!!! Yum, yum, yum. The fried crust pizza is nice, but I still prefer the fried calzone. Can't get enough :)

This is the best pizza I have had in a good while. The squash blossoms are a bit heavy handed and one dimensional if you ask me. Room for improvement there.

My only nit on their pizza is that they cut my pizza. I prefer them whole and uncut.

This is the best pizza I have had in a good while. The squash blossoms are a bit heavy handed and one dimensional if you ask me. Room for improvement there.

My only nit on their pizza is that they cut my pizza. I prefer them whole and uncut.

That's a bit confusing. Even with the heavy handed squash blossoms it is the best pizza you have had in a good while?

Also, since cutting pizza is completely normal (they don't have pizza cutters by the utensils, plates or napkins), why don't you ask for it uncut? That's like being disappointed when there is cheese or sauce on your pizza.

Wasn't there somewhere either upthread or in an article that they had to succumb to cutting their pizza because too many were complaining it came uncut? This was eons ago, but can't remember if it was discussed here or elsewhere?

Agree with JuneBacon--I'm sure if you request it uncut, it won't be a problem.

That's a bit confusing. Even with the heavy handed squash blossoms it is the best pizza you have had in a good while?

Also, since cutting pizza is completely normal (they don't have pizza cutters by the utensils, plates or napkins), why don't you ask for it uncut? That's like being disappointed when there is cheese or sauce on your pizza.

They are indeed an appetizer. A squash blossom should be fried as delicately as possible with as light a possible batter IMO.

This was my only visit to the place so far. One of the things I prefer to do when I visit a place for the first time is to see what they do -- normally. Without input from me. They cut the pizza. I prefer it uncut, but I wanted to see what they do. That's all. Next time I will ask if I can get it uncut. My preference is my own, and not to everyone's liking, but (to me) cutting a pizza before I can see it whole and uncut is like ordering a steak out at a steakhouse and having it pre-cut for me. Kind of ridiculous.

My preference is my own, and not to everyone's liking, but (to me) cutting a pizza before I can see it whole and uncut is like ordering a steak out at a steakhouse and having it pre-cut for me. Kind of ridiculous.

Yogi Berra was once asked by a waitress if he would like his pizza cut into six slices or eight slices. He responded "Just cut it into six slices, I don't think I can eat eight slices."

They are indeed an appetizer. A squash blossom should be fried as delicately as possible with as light a possible batter IMO.

This was my only visit to the place so far. One of the things I prefer to do when I visit a place for the first time is to see what they do -- normally. Without input from me. They cut the pizza. I prefer it uncut, but I wanted to see what they do. That's all. Next time I will ask if I can get it uncut. My preference is my own, and not to everyone's liking, but (to me) cutting a pizza before I can see it whole and uncut is like ordering a steak out at a steakhouse and having it pre-cut for me. Kind of ridiculous.

When they first opened they wouldn't cut the pizza, if it was ordered to go, but I think they received numerous complaints about not cutting the pizza.

A note to everybody:

To let ourselves and our employees enjoy a little time off this summer, Pupatella will only be open for dinner starting this week. We are planning to get back to the normal schedule in several weeks.

GREAT news just posted on their facebook page:

Anybody knows good experienced servers, hosts, bartenders? Exciting news! We are expanding into the space next door and switching to table service. E-mail us at pupatellapizza@gmail.com with a resume.

Stopped in last night for a carry out pie. They have the expanded space up and running now--looks pretty nice. They do not yet have full table service, you still order at the register and the food is brought out to you. There is an area at the back of the new space that might eventually be a small bar, where they have added six tap lines. Last night, those were Port City Downright Pilsner (good stuff), the DC Brau IPA (I forget the name), Heineken, Blue Moon, a fairly mainstream British beer (might have been Newcastle Brown, I don't remember), and another that I can't remember at all.

The entire place was pretty much full at 8:00, which meant that parking was worse than usual. I parked across the street in the Safeway parking lot, unsure if Safeway might have a tow truck contractor looking for "customers" of its own. I kept an eye out, and did not see any, but I am not sure I would have been comfortable eating at a table not knowing whether my car would be there when I was done.

Yesterday's visit was early afternoon, a smart way to avoid crowds.

At first, I thought the daily specials menu was gone, but it's typed up in a smaller font, and located only at the register. Posting a second copy at the door would be welcomed; last-minute decision making left me with a bit of a confused and rushed feeling.

I ordered two pies (Burrata with cherry tomatoes and the classic Margherita) and the crostini (with roasted red pepper and white anchovy) to go. As always, simple, delicious, outrageously flavorful ingredients. Leftovers kept magically, this is definitely a place to over-order in preparation for lunch the next day.

The new space looks fantastic. Cheers to successful businesses and deliciousness expanding!

(speaking of expanding)

(foursquare says "you've been here 22 times")

(my bathroom scale says "cease and desist")

I don't really like pizza anymore. I only like Neapolitan pizza (generally, I still eat Chicago style in Chicago), and only with certain toppings, namely, arugula and prosciutto. Last night, I ordered some panzarotti (Fried potato croquettes stuffed with prosciutto and mozzarella) for the first time. The exterior was super crispy while the interior was cold (not frozen, but cold). Generally boring. I also tried to order my favorite pizza, but they were out of arugula. So I tried the CAPRICCIOSA: Sautéed mushrooms, marinated artichokes, prosciutto cotto & fresh mozzarella, which was a little soggy and I didn't love the topping combination. The crust was good as usual - I just wasn't keep on those toppings. So why do I love prosciutto arugula? Well, I love prosciutto, and I like the bite of arugula, and the pizza doesn't get soggy since the toppings are added after the pizza's baked.

ETA: This is not a knock on Pupatella's pizza. I no longer eat at Orso because I think Pupatella's pizza is better. I'm merely expressing how attached I've become to certain toppings.

OK, because Anastasiya and Enzo needed to take their execution to an even higher level...

<insert bewildered and delighted kmangoface>

The pizza boxes at Pupatella have changed. Yesterday's takeout order arrived steaming from nine holes punched topside of a brick red square graced with images of Naples. Upon opening the box, the entire interior shone with an aluminum-mirrored surface.

Perhaps I am a sucker for expensive packaging, but after a fifteen minute drive, the flavor and texture seemed a notch higher than previous visits. Which was stratospheric to begin with.

A second hat tip to the daily special pizza featuring roasted corn, ham, and mozzarella. That, and the household favorite pizza of prosciutto and arugula, created another Vesuvius experience.

(hanging head)

(in three pieces at once)

(pizza shame)