Peter Chang China Cafe, Szechuan Restaurant Chain Undergoing Expansion

I wonder about that, too. I got the idea that the servers were not Chinese? It reminds me of that scene in Garden State:

Andrew Largeman: ...We don't have bread.

Obnoxious Girl: What do you mean you don't have bread, how can you not have bread?

Andrew Largeman: ...we're a Vietnamese restaurant... we just don't have bread.

Obnoxious Girl: Well, you're not Vietnamese.

Andrew Largeman: ...No, I'm not.

Obnoxious Girl: Can I have something to chew on! Fuck, bamboo! Whatever!

Andrew Largeman: I'll see what I can find.

My Wise Chinese Physicist, Ye, says: 

"Classier restaurant when you get your own bowl." 

"Nobody has sense of humor any more. Should not have fired."

"Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day."

Sorry. That was awful.... 

6 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Did you read that the manager said that this happened before? "He said that the servers had previously been warned about leaving offensive comments in the system. "They always do that. I've told them so many times," Cheng said. "And they did it again." He's weighing whether someone needs to be fired over the incident."

This is the part that gets me.  These servers were repeat offenders!  I get being pissed off at customers, and I even get goofing around on the little receipt machine, but to get busted for it a second time, is idiotic.  Who knows how many times they've written little insults and it went unnoticed?  I rarely study my receipt, maybe it's happened to me?!!??  (I've never eaten there so it's unlikely)

The other thing that is really jerky about the server was when s/he responded to the "split checks" request with, "That's how they do it in China",  These people may have been jerks (however, I'm not completely convinced they were) but with that comment the server hit a new low on the jerkiness scale.

I can't imagine what sommeliers (or any other server for that matter) has to deal with, with know-it-alls coming in trying to impress them with their wine knowledge (or food knowledge).  I'm sure it happens multiple times per night, especially when trying to impress a date or client or whomever.  And I bet the level of haughty arrogance is exponentially greater than a comment about rice bowl size, but I also bet the vast (vast, vast) majority of them just smile and bring the wine, no matter how obnoxious or just plain wrong the guest was.

• Like 2

You never know but I would call right now and make a reservation.  A couple of Sundays ago, I called in the afternoon to make a reservation for the evening and couldn't get the time I wanted.  I wanted 7pm, got 6:30pm.  The place was packed with people waiting around.  YMMV.

Dropped in for lunch Sunday, and three of us very much enjoyed every dish. They are offering a seasonal menu in addition to the regular menu, and we picked two items from that section. The cucumber with garlic sauce was a hit. Cucumbers are smashed into large chunks, then served in a smooth sauce that is a bit garlicky, but in no way overpowering, and it did not have any "heat source". I asked our server about the sauce, and he was only able to tell me about the smashing technique. I thought I tasted some sesame oil, but the sauce was creamy, and it didn't appear to have any oil in it. (Perhaps an emulsion?)

We also ordered the salt and pepper shrimp, which was recommended by our server. The dish consisted of least a dozen butterflied shrimp that had been coated with a light batter and fried. The shrimp were cooked perfectly, and there wasn't a hint of grease. The shrimp were served with something that resembled an aioli which was light red, a bit tangy, but not at all spicy.

From the regular menu, we chose mapo tofu, grandma's noodles, and bang-bang shrimp. All were excellent, and although I was hesitant to order the shrimp solely because of the name, I'm glad I did. Once again, the shrimp were nicely cooked, and the savory sauce worked perfectly. Chang's version is not even close to any other version I've had. The noodles provided the signature numbing effect, which was a surprise to my wife, who is not the most adventurous eater. Finally, the tofu (ordered without beef for my vegetarian daughter) was delicious as well. I've not had that dish very often in any restaurant, so I don't have much to compare it to, but provided the mala I was expecting.

Service was friendly and efficient, and I seemed to have forgotten how large the portions are. I think you'd have to have a large group in order to be able to sample more than a few items.  And yes, the rice was served in individual bowls...

• Like 3

i went to the rockville location a couple of weeks ago and as always, came away full and happy. the fried eggplant is always good, however there was something spot on about the spicing that night--they were particularly greaseless, the cumin particularly fragrant, or something--that made it amazing, one of the best things ive eaten in months. the scallion rings (a special) were only so-so--they seem to be the same batter as in the scallion pancakes, formed into little doughnuts and fried. like the scallion pancakes, these didn't have enough scallion flavor for me, but the sauce they came with was very good. Also tried a new dish, the three-pepper hot pot. wonderful, deep, complex pepper flavor. 

• Like 3

Went to the Rockville location last night (Saturday).  It was a full house at 6 pm with a 30 minute wait for a group of 3.  They took our number and told us they would call when the table was ready.  We didn't get the call, but cell phones can be wonky at times.  We walked back after 30 minutes and were seated at the next available table.  The service was very friendly (perhaps a little over-friendly, compensating for the recent bad press), the food was good as always and they were serving rice in individual bowls throughout the restaurant.  

• Like 1

Went to the Arlington location for the first time in a couple of months.  We're in the middle of a lower-carb diet and this was a little splurge for us.  We got:

• the aforementioned cucumber salad for the first time and LOVED the sauce - we were expecting something more like the A&J version, which we also love but wake up in the morning with dragon breath.  We also thought there was a little sesame oil in it, maybe a touch of rice vinegar?
  • the sesame noodle summer special - also different than expected in that it was lighter than most versions, with chewy noodles.  
  • fried pork belly. Nuff said.
  • hot and numbing flounder and tofu.  You can always tell when Peter Chang isn't in the kitchen - for me, it's that you can "taste" the heat, if that makes any sense - but it was still an excellent batch and we really enjoyed it.  But after wolfing down the starters (CARBS), we didn't have a lot of room for it, so we are now the proud owners of a quart of yumminess in the fridge.

We walked in at 9, no wait.  We finished a little before 10 and they had managed to shoo all but two other tables out the door.  Service was pleasant and efficient, probably because they were trying to close down immediately at 10, and it would have been a little TOO efficient if we'd been looking for a leisurely meal with friends rather than a spousal "it's 8:45 and we really should eat now, honey" meal.  (But we also would have arrived before 9 if that were the case.)

• Like 3

Had dinner at the Rockville location yesterday. The dry-fried eggplant was really good, and I would order it again and again -- I actually have, at Fredericksburg and Arlington -- but the cucumber salad was only so-so. It's refreshing enough, but nothing about the taste stood out.

My main course was the lamb chops with cumin, and I loved them. I only wish the portion was larger. My companion had the flounder hot-pot, and it was a huge portion. I sampled it and thought it a nice dish, but certainly muted in flavor.

Dinner again in Rockville tonight, and it was good but not great. I ended up with a vegetarian meal, not really because I intended it, but those were the flavors that conspired to fill up my tummy tonight. I had the dry-fried eggplant (very good), Grandma's noodles (good flavoring, but the noodles were a bit too al dente), and Mapo tofu (so soft that it couldn't be eaten with anything but a spoon, and the sauce was a bit heavy and almost cloying). 

He was clearly not in the kitchen tonight.

19 hours ago, TheGut said:

as I continue my pic posting binge.  next stop Peter Chang.  Simply love this place.

1. Cumin Lamb Chops

2. Fried Flounder

3. Cilantro Fish Rolls

4. Dry Fried Eggplant

Nice picks - 4 of my favorite dishes there.

Very good meal last night with my lady friend who had never had non Chinese-American food. Eggplant was on point. Grandma's Noodles were tasty, but a little salty. I don't know how to eat the Big Bun, but I always get it. It's too big. Fish in chili oil was fantastic, rivaling HKP's version (HKP's has tofu, as well, and I like it a little better because of that). Twice cooked pork belly also was great. She really liked the meal, and now is interested in exploring more Chinese food. I can't wait to eat it again for lunch today. A little pricey compared to HKP or Bob's 66, but definitely a nicer place. I received very attentive service, after that hub-bub that happened early this year, was curious how it would be. Lot more non-Asian faces in the front of the house. Wonder if that's on purpose. Waiter was a little confused when I asked if the sauces were similar in the fish dish and the pork belly (Linda at HKP will always tell me: "No, don't order that, it's same like ____. Get this instead."). They weren't really all that similar. Another thing that was noticeable (I don't remember last time) is that they use a lot of those black beans. It definitely adds ... something. Sometimes I want them, but other times I just pick them aside. It's a very distinct taste. Looking forward to going back soon.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

What do you all think?

Meh, what the hell - let's start a Houston Forum and find out.

Yeah.  Peter is cooking there 3 nights a week, along with the 3 nights a week in Charlottesville, 3 in Fredericksburg, 6 in Silver Spring, Muskogee, Altoona, Islamabad, and Southern Siberia.

Peter is bringing new meaning to molecular dining by sending his DNA to all of his restaurants and having a sous-chef clone him.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2015 at 4:48 PM, darkstar965 said:

The more posts that pop up here, the more this concerns me.  We've had (and loved!) his food in C'Ville and in Richmond, when he was there, maybe a half-dozen times.  Now, with him even closer to DC, the lure is strong though we haven't yet been.  In the near term, for dinner, it's probably a safe bet and totally worth the trip.  But, after a month or so, it's a real crap shoot.  Drive all the way out there, maybe wait on line and, if he happens to have that night off or be in a different location, it's a wholly different restaurant with real chance to be as disappointing as his cooking is so exceptional.  And, I really wonder if you call on a given day and ask if he will be in the kitchen that night whether they'd even tell you.

In my experience, there's never a straight answer to the question "Is Peter Chang here tonight?". At least not in Atlanta, nor in Knoxville.

I can thank Mr. Chang for opening the door to flavors and dishes from Sichuan, but in all honesty, I have since had Sichuan cuisine as good (on a good night at Jin River) and better--Chengdu Taste in Las Vegas and the street food stall at Flushing's New York Food Court.

What's most important to Mr. Chang is his family, centered in the D. C. area. He's had years in kitchens, and in all frankness its not an easy life. Kudos to him for finding a way to stay out of the kitchen, rather than in.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2016 at 2:37 PM, DonRocks said:

What do you all think?

Meh, what the hell - let's start a Houston Forum and find out.

On 10/20/2016 at 3:19 PM, dcs said:

Acclaimed chef says he's not directly involved with Katy restaurant that bears his name, By Eric Sandler - 6.3.16 | 11:20 am on culturemap Houston

Yeah, so that was me that posted the initial tweet, which I subsequently answered for myself by finding the same article that dcs posted.  I still find the story very odd.  I have not made it to the TX version of "Peter Chang," but it's somewhat near one branch of the hospital I work in, so it's conceivable that I could go for lunch.  I'm still curious about the statement that "all the chefs are from Peter Chang. Our menu is from Peter Chang, but Peter Chang is not involved in this restaurant."  Does that mean that the chefs at the TX restaurant go to the DMV to train with Chang? Or is it just bullshit? (I'm betting on the 2nd.)

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yeah, so that was me that posted the initial tweet, which I subsequently answered for myself by finding the same article that dcs posted.  I still find the story very odd.  I have not made it to the TX version of "Peter Chang," but it's somewhat near one branch of the hospital I work in, so it's conceivable that I could go for lunch.  I'm still curious about the statement that "all the chefs are from Peter Chang. Our menu is from Peter Chang, but Peter Chang is not involved in this restaurant."  Does that mean that the chefs at the TX restaurant go to the DMV to train with Chang? Or is it just bullshit? (I'm betting on the 2nd.)

It sounds to me like they're ex-Chang employees, and there may have been some "over-enthusiasm" on their part - they're claiming it was "too late" to redo all the signs, the business name, etc. I do think they worked in one of Chang's kitchens, however - or, at least that's the way it sounds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josh said:

You know, I have this sinking feeling that there just may be more than one Peter Chang who was born in China (or Cleveland for that matter).  Who's to say that Katy, TX Peter Chang is or is not the long lost cousin of Leroy Chang who runs an IHOP in Iowa City, Iowa?

Or possibly, from some slightly confused (as usual) political wannabee to another political wannabee:

"I know Peter Chang, I've eaten at Peter Chang's 300 restaurants and you ain't no Peter Chang, Earl."

23 hours ago, Escoffier said:

You know, I have this sinking feeling that there just may be more than one Peter Chang who was born in China (or Cleveland for that matter).  Who's to say that Katy, TX Peter Chang is or is not the long lost cousin of Leroy Chang who runs an IHOP in Iowa City, Iowa?

Or possibly, from some slightly confused (as usual) political wannabee to another political wannabee:

"I know Peter Chang, I've eaten at Peter Chang's 300 restaurants and you ain't no Peter Chang, Earl."

P.F. Chang's ....

On 10/3/2016 at 1:46 PM, TheGut said:

as I continue my pic posting binge.  next stop Peter Chang.  Simply love this place.

1. Cumin Lamb Chops

2. Fried Flounder

3. Cilantro Fish Rolls

4. Dry Fried Eggplant

Thank you for posting these pics.  Went to the Rockville location for the first time and while I wasn't in charge of ordering, I made sure to include the cumin lamb chops and dry fried eggplant.  Both were excellent - thanks for these recommendations and the visuals to back them up!

On 10/22/2016 at 8:38 PM, Deac said:

There's a restaurant in Lynchburg, VA called Andy Chang's that has a very similar menu and many of the same specialties. Think it might be a former Peter Chang cook (related?). It was pretty good the one time I went with my in-laws. 

https://g.co/kgs/HAvcpc

Maybe Peter is busy cloning himself in all those kitchens and one day there will be a separate census count just for Peter Chang.  I understand that Peter is going to have his own Sales section on Amazon.  You'll be able to buy cloned Peter Chang chef's who will cook for you and then open a restaurant in your kitchen.

• Like 1

Had a delicious lunch today with my daughter, who is home from college for the holiday break. We shared the scallion bubble pancake, which was delicious as always, if just a tad greasy this time. My daughter ordered mapo tofu, which was also delicious. The dish is not too hot spicewise, and the silken tofu is perfect. For those who may not have been to Peter Changs, the portion sizes are huge, and meant for sharing.

I chose "Roasted Lamb with Cumin" from the holiday menu. It arrived with a wonderful cumin aroma (go figure). The lamb pieces had been cut into rough rectangles (about 2x1x1/4) which had been stir fried with green peppers and carrots. This dish was a revelation to me--while the cumin scent was prominent, the dish was perfectly balanced, and I"m not exaggerating when I say the lamb was the most tender I've ever had. Please order this.

The service is fast and friendly. Our server appeared to be a bit brusque at first, but she was great, and smiled when I told her the lamb was the the most tender I'd ever had.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2017 at 4:14 PM, pras said:

Update on the Bethesda Fine Dining Location, which reports a May opening (credit--Bethesda Magazine)

Thank you for posting the link Andrew Metcalf's article. It included news of tonight's James Beard Chinese New Year event in NYC and menu:

On Friday, he’ll be cooking at the James Beard Foundation’s Chinese New Year Celebration in New York City. Chang’s menu includes lotus-leaf-wrapped striped bass, beef tenderloin with chili sauce and roasted pork buns.

Should I be concerned the list of his restaurants does not include Rockville?Chang%20Beard%20Menu.jpg

• Like 2

had a great meal at the Rockville location yesterday. The fried eggplant and grandma noodles continue to be excellent. The hot and numbing tofu shreds were better than they've ben in a while, and slightly different than they used to be--the spicing is more mild, and somehow wetter, there was noticeable celery in it (which was nice actually) and the shreds were somehow fluffier than before. though I wish they'd return the heat level to where it was before, it was overall an improvement over what I've received the past few times.

they also have some new appetizer size noodles for $5. We tried the dan dan noodles without beef (only ok) the spicy bean noodles (which were great, very flavorful and the noodles themselves had an interesting flavor and texture) and the spicy sesame noodles which I'd describe as a very good version of the standard sesame/peanutty noodles you find everywhere. if you like the dish generally, this is a very good version, with more spice and stronger, more subtle flavors than what you get at other places, but those who don't like the dish (or sesame) generally may find it too peanutty in flavor (as some of my dining companions, who generally dislike sesame and tahini, did) .

I must say we have been disappointed with PC in Arlington on our last two recent visits.  Perhaps the inevitable change in the kitchen has caused less than stellar results on the plate.  This has been a repeated complaint with Peter's growing empire.  We had been going once a month to Arlington PC - take out or onsite - results were frequently becoming mixed but not to the point of turning us off.

Last two times (May and April) resulted in only two good dishes: pork & shrimp dumplings. Not a strong rec. Kung pao arrives drenched an odd orange color sauce with an off putting sour taste (I love szechuan peppers so don't cite the "heat" scale) - this version is very different than past stellar kung paos.  Beef with bok choy was tough and the veg hard to locate.  Lamb on skewers had good heat but tougher meat than the beef.  I have never been a fan of the fried eggplant so many here love so I won't chime in on that one. 

I hope this location gets its mojo back.  Giving it a rest for the next few months in hopes another change in the kitchen will prove to be a reversion to the mean!

I am puzzled about the parking lot.  Always filled but the surrounding stores & restaurants don't seem to have many customers at the time we go.  Plus Harris Teeter is located at the opposite end of the shopping center with underground parking. 

The Chang staff laugh when I note parking problems as they have difficulty finding a space when their shift begins.  Is there an opium den or bingo parlor in a basement? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

My wife landed late in Charlottesville last Friday so I thought, let's stop and get some scallion pancakes, have a beer, and get some takeout.  We rolled into the parking lot at 9:40 with a posted closing of 10pm, which normally we wouldn't do, but again we were just trying to grab and go.

It's one thing to close early if you aren't busy.  Irksome, because Charlottesville shuts down at 10pm so this was our one-and-done attempt, but I get it.  But the guy at the door who physically blocked us from entering yelling 'We're Closed!' - I mean, it's good, but its not THAT good.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

went there for brunch sunday and had a great meal, left thinking why it'd been so long since i'd been there and vowing to go there more often. 

many of the prices have inched up a bit. With some (like the hot and numbing shreds) the portion is larger, but with others (grandma noodles) it isn't. We mostly ordered familiar standbys. The grandma noodles are still great, and the fish rolls and crispy pork belly were enjoyed. Whoever was frying that day is really skilled, we had the dry fried eggplant and a dry fried mushroom from the specials menu. the eggplant was perfect and the mushrooms were my favorite dish--so flavorful and crunchy, it was almost like a cheeto--there was that level of flavor and crunch (though not cheesy of course). these were so good and i hope they become permanent. Sadly the hot and numbing shreds have gone downhill. the texture was the same but the oil/sauce was different--less hot, less numbing, and overall much less flavorful. i also thought there was a slightly sweet note. usually we are fighting over these and deciding if 2 orders will suffice, or if we dare order 3. this time our sole order languished and was only finished because we didn't feel like packing it up. we also tried two of the noodles from the specials menu. one was very good--i think it was the spicy sesame noodles. 

Went Saturday night ... was absolutely on point, felt like Chengdu!

- Pan fried sesame pancake. Dad doesn't eat most Asian foods. This was not liked. It was sort of like a bread or a cake.

- Eggplant was perfect, as usual

- Grandma's noodle - I felt like these were handpulled. I wish my grandma had made noodles like this.

- Cold mixed wood ear mushrooms with thai chili - should have gotten more veggie dishes like this, simple and cooling

- Fish in spicy oil was excellent, a touch less spicy

- Fried chicken with chilis was offered bone-in and bone-out. Without consultation from table, I got bone-in, and was roundly chastised for it, so we had to order the boneless one, too. For the record, bone-in tasted better, despite what others said. 

- Dry hot pot with vegetables. Fantastic! Never tried this before. Would be better with some protein, but Mom was in town, so needed to make sure she had enough to eat, too

Hands down best Sichuan in the area, but haven't been to Panda in a long time. I love this place so much. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Simul Parikh said:

Hands down best Sichuan in the area, but haven't been to Panda in a long time. I love this place so much. 

I had the sense that it *could be* the best Sichuan in the area, but was inconsistent.  Anyone here who regularly dines at PC's and Jin River and/or Hong Kong Palace who can offer some comparisons?

2 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

I had the sense that it *could be* the best Sichuan in the area, but was inconsistent.  Anyone here who regularly dines at PC's and Jin River and/or Hong Kong Palace who can offer some comparisons?

I go to PC as much as HKP, and although HKP was my gateway drug, it's just not that vibrant/consistent, especially with non veg dishes. I used to go to Jin River, and then it declined hard for a while. It was basically Chinese-American. Maybe that has changed?

4 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

I go to PC as much as HKP, and although HKP was my gateway drug, it's just not that vibrant/consistent, especially with non veg dishes

I also go to PC and HKP, and agree with Simul (however, they do certain dishes well - the potatoes and green peppers, and the Cumin Fish that Eric turned me onto, years ago).

On 12/26/2017 at 12:00 PM, Marty L. said:

I believe Asian Origin is now the flagship of the HKP restaurant group and offers a higher end dining experience than both PC and HKP.  That said, I think PC, HKP and Asian Origin are all pretty consistent (I've been going to AO much more than HKP or PC).

P.S.  AO has bilingual staff that's not surly.  HKP's service can be surly.  PC has some staff that doesn't speak Chinese and don't know much about the food.

On 12/26/2017 at 12:04 PM, Simul Parikh said:

I go to PC as much as HKP, and although HKP was my gateway drug, it's just not that vibrant/consistent, especially with non veg dishes. I used to go to Jin River, and then it declined hard for a while. It was basically Chinese-American. Maybe that has changed?

My experiences at Jin River have been consistent over the years, and I believe the staff there has not changed much.  I'll have to check out Asian Origin.

AO has a larger (and more extravagant) menu than HKP but in our experience the quality is very similar. Recently we've been to HKP more frequently as some shopping has taken us to that area and the Chinese vegetables have been pretty good this fall/winter. Still haven't made it to the flagship PC in MD so can't really compare amongst the three of them but agree with Ericandblueboy that all three (PC in Ballston) are pretty consistent. 

25 minutes ago, lion said:

AO has a larger (and more extravagant) menu than HKP but in our experience the quality is very similar. Recently we've been to HKP more frequently as some shopping has taken us to that area and the Chinese vegetables have been pretty good this fall/winter. Still haven't made it to the flagship PC in MD so can't really compare amongst the three of them but agree with Ericandblueboy that all three (PC in Ballston) are pretty consistent. 

We were just at PC Rockville and actually found the cooking there better than our list visit to Q (PC Bethesda).  Shame cause we're just across the (future) train tracks from Q.  That being said, still find Q to be by far the best Chinese in the area.  Bethesda just sucks the good out of food or puts you out of business if you dare to serve good food.

Edited by zgast
Hit submit too early.
  • Like 1

One problem with this discussion is that, with today's traffic, driving round-trip between downtown Rockville and Seven Corners is like driving to Richmond or Towson.

I had *no* idea what a "Maryland Magnet" my mom was to me - she got me over to White Oak at least once a week; I was deluding myself into thinking I'd continue to hit up restaurants in Laurel, Olney, Columbia, College Park, etc. at such a torrid rate after she left us.

(FWIW, I can honestly say that for about 6-8 years, I had the entirety of the DC restaurant scene mastered; then the recession hit, my mom left us, the economic recovery brought over a thousand new restaurants, I developed a painful, chronic injury, and I'm still playing catch-up.)

This thread is confusing to me...is Asian Origin a Peter Chang Restaurant? All I know is I live in Arlington and Sunday was my last visit to Peter Chang. It was horrible. We even got something drenched in that prepackaged Sweet and Sour Sauce you get at other Chinese restaurants. We ordered 5 dishes, returned 1 and did not eat 2. The waitress came with a knowing look and said that the chef in the kitchen was a new chef....but it is not his fault. Peter Chang needs to have a quality control. It was his cooking and his recipes...this stuff was crap. Too bad for him. I don't see this place lasting if he continues with not overseeing the quality and the recipes.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:39 AM, RaisaB said:

This thread is confusing to me...is Asian Origin a Peter Chang Restaurant? All I know is I live in Arlington and Sunday was my last visit to Peter Chang. It was horrible. We even got something drenched in that prepackaged Sweet and Sour Sauce you get at other Chinese restaurants. We ordered 5 dishes, returned 1 and did not eat 2. The waitress came with a knowing look and said that the chef in the kitchen was a new chef....but it is not his fault. Peter Chang needs to have a quality control. It was his cooking and his recipes...this stuff was crap. Too bad for him. I don't see this place lasting if he continues with not overseeing the quality and the recipes.

Asian Origin is not a Peter Chang restaurant.  It's owned by the same person who owns Hong Kong Palace (so it's an upscale HKP).  I've never had a bad experience at Peter Chang Arlington but since they said there's a chef change, my prior experiences don't mean squat.