Chick-fil-A - A Large, Atlanta-Based, Chicken-Sandwich Chain Now With a Food Truck

Chick Fil A used to be my comfort food of choice. But consistency of quality has always been a problem when outside of Atlanta.Though there is a decent outpost at the Ballston Mall.

I have a theory that franchised operations are not nearly as good as the company owned versions and the further you get from Atlanta the product does not hold up as well.

The morning after our wedding, on the way to our honeymoon, we were flying through the Atlanta airport to get to our honeymoon destination. I had hardly eaten a thing at our wedding, the caterer did not send us home with a package of food :) and I was STARVING! All I could dream about was the Chick-fil-a I would get to eat during our layover.

But it was Sunday.

I was so crestfallen. I think I had to eat Burger King instead. An unacceptable substitute.

Chick Fil A used to be my comfort food of choice. But consistency of quality has always been a problem when outside of Atlanta.Though there is a decent outpost at the Ballston Mall.

I have a theory that franchised operations are not nearly as good as the company owned versions and the further you get from Atlanta the product does not hold up as well.

The argument could be made that even in Atlanta the various Chick Fil A's are not as good as the original, the Dwarf House, which is still there near the Atlanta airport. This looks and feels just like a Toddle House and actually has very good breakfast in addition to my perception that Chick Fil A "standards" taste better there. I've only been to the original although I believe there are a number of other locations in the Atlanta area.

FWIW, fairly recently in Hagerstown, I had the single best Chick-fil-A sandwich and fries I've ever had.

Incidentally, has anyone seen the recent ad campagin with Bobby Flay? He's wearing a chicken suit and running around dancing and clucking - I only caught a sideways glance, but the caption at the end says something about "Chick Flay."

• Haha 1

I had a rather spectacular Chik-fil-A sandwich just last night. The secret to the great taste was the magical ability it had to stop my friend's 7 year old son's hunger meltdown.

It was only the second time I've eaten there and I was very impressed with the grilled chicken sandwich on wheat roll. Chicken was juicy, roll had actual flavor beyond typical fast food cardboard flavored bread, and they came around to the tables refilling beverages.

The argument could be made that even in Atlanta the various Chick Fil A's are not as good as the original, the Dwarf House, which is still there near the Atlanta airport. This looks and feels just like a Toddle House and actually has very good breakfast in addition to my perception that Chick Fil A "standards" taste better there. I've only been to the original although I believe there are a number of other locations in the Atlanta area.
Glad you had a good exprience at the Dwarf House though while I lived in Atlanta it was not worth the drive. They are company owned operations. The point I was making Joe is that consistency among franchised and company owned operations is different.

The Chik-Fil-A in Reston is outstanding! Lightning fast lines serving hot, hot, hot sandwiches and fries.

Chick-fil-A has always been my number #1 go-to restaurant in that class of fast food restaraunt, i.e. the class of "places that normally have drive-thrus or are found in mall food courts." The waffle fries are salty and crisp, the standard sandwhich (which I always get without pickle as I don't like pickles at all, even though many say that's the key to a chick-fil-a sandwhich) is juicy and tasty, and the lemonade isn't the worst I've ever had. If I'm branching out sometimes I'll pick up the nuggets or strips instead which are similar to the standard fried sandwhich, though with a higher ratio of breading to meat since the meat is smaller. Still delicious though. Basically the only restaurant in that class of restaurants that I don't grumble about if I have to go to.

I really can't stand the chicken nuggets or strips at Chick-fil-A, but I love the standard sandwich. The only condiment that I like on it is pickle juice, for some reason I don't like the contrasting texture of the pickles with the sandwich, but love the flavor. So I order extra pickles and let the bread absorb the juice, then take them off, eat the pickle slices and enjoy my sandwich.

There are two locations on 95 north of Baltimore that are less than stellar; White Marsh, and Abingdon. The last two times I ate at these locations the chicken did not seemed to be cooked as long as the ones I used to get at the Reston location (which is one of the best I have been to). This leads to a pale breading that has a less than satisfying texture. At the White Marsh location this lack of frying time also extends to the waffle fries and they are not as crisp as at other locations.

Where is the chick-fil-a in Reston? I know about the one in or near Sterling on Route 7. (could be Herndon?) But since I'm still a "NOOB" I hope you all can tell me where it is and any other good fast food w/drive thru's. Thanks a big bunch in advance.

There's one in the cluster of fast food places on Willard near Sully, next to the Capital Expo Center. But if I were in that neighborhood I'd go over to Willard BBQ, virtually next door.

Where is the chick-fil-a in Reston? I know about the one in or near Sterling on Route 7. (could be Herndon?) But since I'm still a "NOOB" I hope you all can tell me where it is and any other good fast food w/drive thru's. Thanks a big bunch in advance.

Stacey, the Chick Fil A is on Sunset Hills about two blocks west of Reston Avenue. For seriously good fast food the nearest In 'n Out Burger is about 2,400 miles west in Vegas, just west of Las Vegas Blvd.

For reasonable local semi fast food please try the Reston Kebob House next to the 7-11 off of Sunrise Valley. Don't laugh-they have some of the most flavorful kebobs anywhere. Serious. If you go you will leave there feeling happy that you moved to Reston.

At least for kebobs...

Chick-Fil-A is across the street from Target (off of Fairfax Cty Parkway, on Sunset Hills Rd). I think there's a Gold's gym or something there and also a Carraba's.

I've always been amused by the subversive cow campaign, but this latest marketing gimmick really kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Despite being happily offspring-free myself, all I could think of while surveying the room full of moms and young children (i.e. all but one elderly couple and myself) was "Chick-fil-A, setting back the cause of literacy one meal at a time." Yes, the cow thing is an adult joke, but who the hell do they think are likely to actually play placemat games? For shame.

post-710-1171346826_thumb.jpg

I am a huge Chick-fil-A fan, stopping almost every time I come across one - however, recently while on a road trip on a Sunday, Chick-fil-A was not an option so I ventured to Popeyes to compare their chicken sandwich for the first time - dizamn, that's a good spicy chicken sandwich. I highly recommend. Juicy, spicy, big hunk of chicken breast and cajun mayo. Good road eats. But, no pickles - will have to request for next time, if they have them. With the side biscuit, this sandwich might one-up Chick-fil-A's. But I'll still be a devotee.

I picked up a couple of 12-pack nuggets while at Montgomery Mall yesterday. Boy do I love Chick-fil-a!! Those little tender, spicy nuggets are so addictive. I am not a poet but completely understand why Chick-fil-a makes Don spout poetry.

Yes, but the pickles bring the sandwich to a level the nuggets could never attain.

So true, but in this case I was catering to my almost 3-year old who loves nuggets. And I was worried that the sandwich wouldn't hold up since we didn't eat until several hours later.
Wow. I am impressed with your will power.. Chick-fil-A nuggets are like edible pieces of gold... only more delicious.

think i know what I am having for lunch... Silver Spring here I come.

One of the best parts of living in Atlanta is that there is a Chick-fil-a on nearly every corner. I indulge far more often than I should.

I wish they'd put the pickles on the breakfast chicken biscuits--the pickle is crucial to the nirvana-esque quality of the chicken. Drooooool...

[rant]

We stopped going to Chick-fil-A completely a couple of years back when, along with our meals, we were given a free James Dobson "Focus on the Family" DVD, instructing my wife on "how to be a good wife." Chick-fil-A founder/owner S. Truett Cathy is one of the largest benefactors of Dobson's organization.

[/rant]

[rant]

On their website, in the corporate information sections, they ahve a question of "Whi is cfa closed on Sunday. The answer, includes the following: "Operators and restaurant employees should have the opportunity to ... worship if the wish" but only on a Sunday? What if your religion's day of worshi is Saturday, Friday or Tuesday? This wording in their official corporate information (coupled with the policy that at one time that required manager trainees to work 6 days a week which hindered the career path of folk who follow these religions), along with Daniel's rant issues above, has led me to never go to one.

[/rant]

As long as we're all boycotting Chick-fil-A for being closed on Sunday, let's boycott Max's for being closed on Saturday, and Shamshiry and Woodlands for refusing to serve alcohol.

There, that should piss just about everyone off.

I'm not so concerned about their being closed on Sundays, I listened to their on-line spiel about it, and thought, well, OK, whatever. But their support of Dobson's organization will keep me from ever going there.

Speaking personally, if I refused to conduct business with every individual who held beliefs I strongly disagreed with or financially supported organizations I opposed, I would be hard pressed to survive in this society. This whole conversation reminds me of the Seinfeld episode in which Elaine wants to boycott Poppy's restaurant because of his position on abortion.

Two things to provide a different perspective. First, I have a Jewish friend who is a high level executive at the company. He loves working there, even though it is a very Christian environment. I also know a number of Jewish franchisees who love being part of the enterprise. Second, even though I have boycotted Dominos for political reasons for over 20 years, I have no problem going to Chick-Fil-A. They provide their employees a really nice environment in which to work.

And plus I am from the South... they make good fried chicken. :-)

This is just a contentious week on DR.com!

Must be something in the water.

I agree with DCS. Pretty much every major business is owned by another major business. Somewhere along that web you're going to find something or someone who supports something or someone you happen to dislike. Chick-Fil-A just happens to be more vocal about their affiliations than others. Boycotting them is lazy because it's very easy to figure out that they're objectionable.

I refuse to use Comcast because Comcast is endorsed by Cal Ripken Jr, a former baseball player, and Bud Selig, the commissioner of baseball, keeps an office in the US Bank Center in Milwaukee, and US Bank holds accounts for the ATM cards issued by the Atlanta-based Skylight Corporation, and they're owned by Ibrahim Muhammad Afandi, who is suspected of donating money to al Qaeda.

Now THAT'S commitment to a cause!

I'm so getting flamed for this.

Many people rightly talk about Chick-Fil-A's food being better than other fast food joints. But, more needs to be made of their service. Yesterday, we had an employee walking around passing out samples of their cookies and cream shake and another employee walking around to get cups for beverage refills. And it's not like this was the first time I've experienced these things at Chick-Fil-A, especially the refills. In fact, I can't remember one single subpar moment of service at a Chick-Fil-A.

And while we're all confessing our secret love of Chick-Fil-A, can we take a moment to confess our devotion to those new "hand spun" shakes?? :rolleyes:

OMG, they are really rich and at least seem to have had a distant relationship with a cow somewhere along the way. A sandwhich, sans pickle, on a wheat bun and a chocolate shake, that's the way I Chick-Fil-A!

To keep your view of their service untarnished, don't visit the Silver Spring store. Not even surly cashiers can keep me from my beloved sandwich and sweet tea, though. Chick-fil-A is made of win.

I love that Sweet Tea. On trips down to the beach I stop and get a couple gallons of it for me and the Hubby's fam. I truly believe it could rot out your teeth in about a month's time, but it is soo good to me. And of course once stopped I must get a chicken sandwich.

I love that Sweet Tea. On trips down to the beach I stop and get a couple gallons of it for me and the Hubby's fam. I truly believe it could rot out your teeth in about a month's time, but it is soo good to me. And of course once stopped I must get a chicken sandwich.

And you can always ask them to mix the tea with some lemonade. :rolleyes: