Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

19 hours ago, southdenverhoo said:

Sometimes people don't know what their voices sound like, or how aggressive their body language can be, or even how repetitive the exchange has become, when they believe they are communicating calmly regarding a matter in dispute.

I was thinking this too.  I have learned over the years that my default face looks stern and judgmental.  I try to make an effort to smile when I come into contact with strangers.  It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer got the stink eye.  I have a natural stink eye.

12568967_1568657960120620_192346169_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE3OTQ5NzE1NjkxNjc1MTQ5Nw==.2

• Haha 1

This is carrying on way further than I expected or wanted. Please recall my disclaimer that this was ONE incident, that I did not witness. Everything I have seen over the years at RTS, and from Michael himself, has indicated that customer service is always a focus of theirs.

The host in question was not ML - the quote was "we have been doing it" not "I have been doing it", "we" as in RTS. The host could have been there for a long time, or it could have been his first day.

I have since communicated with Michael privately, and of course there are details from him that contradict some of the details from my friend's version of the story.

I don't expect Don to nuke this discussion, but I think the horse is beaten at this point, and would like to see us move on.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, DanielK said:

This is carrying on way further than I expected or wanted. Please recall my disclaimer that this was ONE incident, that I did not witness. Everything I have seen over the years at RTS, and from Michael himself, has indicated that customer service is always a focus of theirs.

The host in question was not ML - the quote was "we have been doing it" not "I have been doing it", "we" as in RTS. The host could have been there for a long time, or it could have been his first day.

I have since communicated with Michael privately, and of course there are details from him that contradict some of the details from my friend's version of the story.

I don't expect Don to nuke this discussion, but I think the horse is beaten at this point, and would like to see us move on.

[In that case, let's agree to end it, and move on. Thanks for checking with Michael.]

We were there a couple weeks ago for my duaghter's birthday and it was great as usual.  Kids meals are great deals here.  Kid's salmon is $8; Kids steak, which I'd guess was about a 6oz sirloin is $12.  Bisque still tasty.  The key lime pie wasn't as good as I remember but the dark chocolate mousse still tasty.  It was unusually busy for a Tuesday and the wait staff was getting slammed so service was a little less timely.  It didn't delay the food coming out, but it did hinder drink refulls, etc.  They were apologetic about it and they started going to more of a teaming approach with some of the tables.

• Like 1

Had an excellent meal at our celebratory dinner, with very good service.

Three of us arrived first, and they seated us without us asking to be seated.

Steak was delicious as always (I had a taste of others'). I had the scampi for the first time, and they were really delicious - that's what I'll get in future rather than the scallops (which are good, but I liked these more).

• Like 1

I have had a lot of great steaks over the years, many of them at Ray's. One of the best steaks of my life was the 20 oz dry aged, bone-in rib eye I had on Saturday (and again on Sunday). Ray's cooked it a perfect medium rare (warm, red center) with a crackling crust.

Everything else was as good as usual. I won't ever count this place out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Law Taco said:

I won't ever count this place out.

Me neither.  It's been years since I've eaten here, but the dinner we had after getting married at the Courthouse (Rockville, not down the street) was unforgettably good.  Both our immediate families + dry-aged cowboy ribeye + 2007 Pahlmeyer Merlot for $66 (not a typo).

26 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Me neither.  It's been years since I've eaten here, but the dinner we had after getting married at the Courthouse (Rockville, not down the street) was unforgettably good.  Both our immediate families + dry-aged cowboy ribeye + 2007 Pahlmeyer Merlot for $66 (not a typo).

Ha! You drove to Ray's from downtown Rockville on your wedding day?

Now, *that's* a couple with their priorities straight!

• Like 2

Currently Ray's is carrying deluxe hamburgers.  Big juicy well made burgers;  Hell Burger kinds of deluxe burgers.  They are on the menu with the full assortment of steaks, plus the non steak seafood dishes.

So any family or any group can go and not only get great steaks, but if you wish there are less expensive alternatives, but oh what an alternative--clearly one of the meatiest, juciest, most flavorful burgers in the area.  I had one late last night.  There are about 4 alternatives on the menu roughly priced in the $10-14 range.  I had what I believe is called the Umagi--delicious.

I hadn't realized it before but if you are in Arlington or closer areas of Northern VA and you crave those types of burgers, you have this wonderful source at Ray's in Clarendon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Stopped at Ray's the other night for steak/or the petite filet.  Working a few late nights and I was hungry.  Dining room was pretty busy. I was probably a second seating at around 8. 

The steaks at Ray's remain excellent.  The filet came with accouterments which I'm sad to say I forget (I was famished) and the usual mashed potatoes and creamed asparagus.  The meat was high quality.   Sort of curious--I checked a few steakhouse menu's and the price was killer better.  I believe the menu items for a filet elsewhere were just for the meat dish.  Everything else is extra.  I suspect I could have spent $20-30-40 more for the same meal items different place.  That is quite remarkable

Is the quality the same as at the vaunted more expensive steakhouses?  I'm not sure anymore.  I haven't been to one of those steakhouses in a while.  Something else struck me as I was looking around the dining room.   Rays is very casual.  It always has been to a certain extent.  Is it more so now?  Looks like it to me in terms of dress.  In fact it was so casual that I realized that if I were still taking big shot clients out I couldn't take them to Ray's.  I used to do that a fair amount; Lunches and dinners at the vaunted corporate account big name steakhouses.  Rays, at least on this summer night, was too casual. 

Meanwhile I'll still return when the steak bug hits me.  The steaks are excellent.  I'd come with friends, family, colleagues.  Big shot clients??   Nah...couldn't do it.

48 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Stopped at Ray's the other night for steak/or the petite filet.  Working a few late nights and I was hungry.  Dining room was pretty busy. I was probably a second seating at around 8. 

The steaks at Ray's remain excellent.  The filet came with accouterments which I'm sad to say I forget (I was famished) and the usual mashed potatoes and creamed asparagus.  The meat was high quality.   Sort of curious--I checked a few steakhouse menu's and the price was killer better.  I believe the menu items for a filet elsewhere were just for the meat dish.  Everything else is extra.  I suspect I could have spent $20-30-40 more for the same meal items different place.  That is quite remarkable

Is the quality the same as at the vaunted more expensive steakhouses?  I'm not sure anymore.  I haven't been to one of those steakhouses in a while.  Something else struck me as I was looking around the dining room.   Rays is very casual.  It always has been to a certain extent.  Is it more so now?  Looks like it to me in terms of dress.  In fact it was so casual that I realized that if I were still taking big shot clients out I couldn't take them to Ray's.  I used to do that a fair amount; Lunches and dinners at the vaunted corporate account big name steakhouses.  Rays, at least on this summer night, was too casual. 

Meanwhile I'll still return when the steak bug hits me.  The steaks are excellent.  I'd come with friends, family, colleagues.  Big shot clients??   Nah...couldn't do it.

When I worked there, the more scantily clad locals couldn't understand why I couldn't turn off the air-conditioning in a crowded restaurant on a hot night. Air-conditioning has been around for more than 100 years. Don't you think if you're going to wear your best wife-beater out to dinner, complaining about the cool air might make you look like a clueless jerk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

BTW:  My comments about the ultra casualness were of surprise when I focused on it—not criticism.  I was dressed not only casually but sloppy.  I’d have kicked myself out of a fancy expense account restaurant in that attire.  It was great to be able to have that meal out at a restaurant dressed so casually

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 9:19 AM, DaveO said:

BTW:  My comments about the ultra casualness were of surprise when I focused on it—not criticism.  I was dressed not only casually but sloppy.  I’d have kicked myself out of a fancy expense account restaurant in that attire.  It was great to be able to have that meal out at a restaurant dressed so casually

Agreed - seems like the problem is in the prejudices carried by expense account-type people, rather than the folks dining at Ray's. 

4 hours ago, jasonc said:

Agreed - seems like the problem is in the prejudices carried by expense account-type people, rather than the folks dining at Ray's. 

Dave was saying that *he* would have kicked himself out of a fancy expense account restaurant, not that “expense account people” (whatever that means) would. Seems a bridge too far to assign a problem and assume prejudices in this case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keithstg said:

Dave was saying that *he* would have kicked himself out of a fancy expense account restaurant, not that “expense account people” (whatever that means) would. Seems a bridge too far to assign a problem and assume prejudices in this case.

Agreed.   I wasn’t speaking to problems or prejudices.   It was merely observational.   Having dined at a healthy number of expensive steakhouses in the past, most of the time being a meal with a business client, the other times being celebratory or special; as I gazed at the attire of the other diners let alone my sloppy dress I realized how different Ray’s is.

It’s extremely casual for the same quality meat and at far lower prices and I reemphasize the casualness of it.  Very different in my mind.  This last time it simply hit me harder and more significantly than in the past.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

So the website is now pretty bare-bones, even for Ray's. But the top text says:

Ray's The Steaks

And...

The New More Casual Just The Steaks

Anyone know what "Just The Steaks" is all about?

Due to working late some evenings and Ray's being around the corner I've been there twice this August.  On one evening I had a HellBurger quality burger for about $12-14.  It was great. 

The second night I had the petit (petite?)  filet (is filet masc or fem).  Again excellent, tasty and tender.   The meat quality remains superb.  I like the sides.  They come with the meal.  Those sides might cost $10 or more at an expense account restaurant.  The filet came with two other elements.  Sorry I didn't pay close attention to what I ordered.  I was curious and checked pricing against the expense account restaurants.  Just way way less in price.  

Is it the same quality as the expense account competitors?   Probably.  While once I went to many of them with clients I haven't been to one of those competitors in a long time. 

It is remarkably casual.  Its a steak place and one with excellent meat.  I'd easily return.  I'd go with friends, family, a date, etc.  I wouldn't take big deal business clients. 

I'm not always sure about the menu.  I, for one, wish it were on the website--but its not.  It appeared many of the standbys remain including non steak alternatives  Certainly the bisque is there I was happy to note.

Beyond all that, call make a reservation and ask.  I don't know what it means, but I certainly enjoyed what I ate there recently and the price/value element is excellent--as always.  My gut/suspicion is that its possible he is doubling down on the casualness.  In the summer there were a healthy number of people in shorts.  I suspect if you walk in with a bathing suit,  mask and flippers you would be out of place.

2 hours ago, DaveO said:

filet (is filet masc or fem). 

Here's how you'll always remember: If it was feminine, it would be called a filet mignonne instead of filet mignon.

2 hours ago, DaveO said:

I suspect if you walk in with a bathing suit,  mask and flippers you would be out of place.

Unless you had recently graduated.

Dustin.jpg

On 8/27/2018 at 1:52 PM, DaveO said:

Due to working late some evenings and Ray's being around the corner I've been there twice this August.  On one evening I had a HellBurger quality burger for about $12-14.  It was great. 

Is the burger a regular item now?

On 8/29/2018 at 8:06 PM, DaveO said:

Stopped in and looked at the menu.  Burgers are available Tuesday-Friday

Hmmm. I took my son there last Wednesday night, and I didn't see a burger on the dinner menu. My Wagyu Denver-cut steak was delicious, however. It tasted exactly like the Denver-cut beef I buy at the Organic Butcher of McClean.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:30 PM, DIShGo said:

Hmmm. I took my son there last Wednesday night, and I didn't see a burger on the dinner menu. My Wagyu Denver-cut steak was delicious, however. It tasted exactly like the Denver-cut beef I buy at the Organic Butcher of McClean.

Good point.  Come to think of it last time I went in for dinner I didn’t get the burger menu, which is separate.  I didn’t ask for it.

I guess you have to ask for it.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 7:49 PM, DaveO said:

Good point.  Come to think of it last time I went in for dinner I didn’t get the burger menu, which is separate.  I didn’t ask for it.

I guess you have to ask for it.

Went last Friday and the burger menu was available.  Though we had to be seated in the more casual side which was fine.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:30 PM, DIShGo said:

11 minutes ago, bmcdonal6674 said:

Went last Friday and the burger menu was available.  Though we had to be seated in the more casual side which was fine.

I think this is probably the explanation.

Has anyone figured out how to contact them directly to make a reservation?  I'm trying to do a reservation for 8 people for next Friday night but I am stuck in a loop:  Open Table says that 8 exceeds the size that can be booked at Ray's via Open Table, contact the restaurant directly.  The web page says to make reservations. . . via Open Table and doesn't list a phone #.  The phone # I can get via Yelp and web searches goes straight to an "here are our hours" message with no option for human contact.  I'm in Herndon, so I'd really like to avoid driving there to make a reservation in person.  It's the spouse's 60th birthday and that's where he wants to go.  

(So far, we've made 2 reservations for 4 people via Open Table with notes to the restaurant about what we actually want.)  

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 10:43 PM, PollyG said:

Has anyone figured out how to contact them directly to make a reservation?  I'm trying to do a reservation for 8 people for next Friday night but I am stuck in a loop:  Open Table says that 8 exceeds the size that can be booked at Ray's via Open Table, contact the restaurant directly.  The web page says to make reservations. . . via Open Table and doesn't list a phone #.  The phone # I can get via Yelp and web searches goes straight to an "here are our hours" message with no option for human contact.  I'm in Herndon, so I'd really like to avoid driving there to make a reservation in person.  It's the spouse's 60th birthday and that's where he wants to go.  

(So far, we've made 2 reservations for 4 people via Open Table with notes to the restaurant about what we actually want.)  

To answer my own question--yes, the note in the Open Table reservation worked.  Michael reached out to me via email and we now have a legit reservation for 8 people.  :) 

• Like 6

OMG:  I just had a great burger at Ray's.   Its around the corner from where I work and I'll be pumping out communications later  this eve so I thought I'd fortify.

Back to the burger:   Blue cheese, spicy, crusty--OMG   An absolutely superb burger.   11 bucks.  An 8 ounce juicy killer of a burger.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DaveO said:

OMG:  I just had a great burger at Ray's.   Its around the corner from where I work and I'll be pumping out communications later  this eve so I thought I'd fortify.

Back to the burger:   Blue cheese, spicy, crusty--OMG   An absolutely superb burger.   11 bucks.  An 8 ounce juicy killer of a burger.  

Downtown or Roslyn?

29 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

Downtown or Roslyn?

Roslyn/Courthouse (Arlington) at Ray's the Steaks.     I've been to HellBurger in DC and had one other burger recently at Ray's the Steaks.  This one, possibly called the Big Blue, is my current favorite:  Blue cheese, spicy, a crusty peppercorn treatment, very juicy.  Too large for the roll, frankly.  Simply a great quality meaty burger with terrific flavor treatments and very juicy.

3 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

We salute you!

And now, to find a delicious steak dinner at a reasonable price in our area....are we stuck with Bobby Van's, Medium Rare, District Chop House, Urban Butcher? We need another Ray's!

Speaking of Medium Rare, Mark Bucher is offering  opportunity of employment to anyone BOH or FOH that is unemployed as a result of this closure.. Contact him directly on FB. 

• Like 2

The end of an era. I ate at the first Ray's the Steaks two days after it opened.  Landrum was (is?) a man who had a vision.  He had one hell of a good run.  Thank you Michael for all the years of RTS, it will be missed. 

• Like 6

To be honest, I was never impressed by Landrum’s restaurants, all good concepts that faded away.  At Rsy’s And at Hellburger, I always felt that there was something missing.  People who I took to Ray's complained that there was a strong feeling of being rushed.  Considering the failed businesses, good for a bit and then gone, there needs to be a fuller analysis of why these concepts failed.