COVID-19 and Restaurants

DonRocks

From our local, 100 Bowls of Soup: 

Kitchen Update

We took the decision last week to temporarily close our business because we thought it was the right thing to do. We used this time to take a breath and reevaluate our business, how best we can serve the community, while keeping our employees and customers safe. As you probably know Virginia has closed all non-essential businesses. As a food producer, we are categorized as essential. As a small food producer we have the advantage of being able to adapt and change quickly. But we are not alone at adapting.

I'd like to take a moment to thank you, our customers, for your patience and willingness to adapt right along with us. When we closed our retail store and shifted to phone ordering and doorstep pick up only, you were there; when we cut back our retail hours, you were there; when we made the decision to close for a week, you stocked up. You met us on our terms, and for that we are so grateful. While we may be certain that this too shall pass, it is less certain how long it will last. As we continue to navigate through this storm of a public health crisis, we’re determined to find ways to nourish you and our community. 

So, here’s our plan

Starting Monday, March 30th we will resume cooking and limited retail store hours. We will be open Monday, Wednesday and Friday 11 am- 4 pm for phone-in ordering and doorstep pick up only. No hot soup or broth to go until further notice. We hope very soon to be able to offer online ordering. Please be sure to check our website, Facebook or Instagram for the latest updates and availability of items. You can also call us at 703 466-5130 or send us an email at info@100bowlsofsoup.com.

We are taking the following precautions in the kitchen: 
  • Limiting the number of people in our kitchen to 5 or less. 
  • Maintaining a six foot distance while cooking.
  • Ensuring all employees and their households are practicing “social distancing”.
  • Emphasizing individual employee health and hygiene; anyone with flu or cold symptoms must stay home.
  • Adding additional sanitary procedures and precautions including sanitizing high touch surfaces more frequently.

Our open kitchen was designed for customers to see, smell and taste our cooking. Unfortunately, for the time being at least, we can no longer do that. But there is something else we can do.

Support home cooking and local farmers 

Working from home? Have some extra time? Maybe you'd like to experiment with more home cooking. We are posting recipes each day on social media and offering some DIY ingredients at our store, such as whole local, pastured Chickens (along with our Classic Chicken Soup recipe) and Chicken Bone Broth Making kits (the same bones we use for our own bone broth and a broth recipe). We will also continue to carry local eggs from these same farmers. We need our local farmers now more than ever.

And finally, in the weeks and months ahead, we will be reaching out to local non-profits and food banks to learn more about how we can help those most in need.

Stay safe and well,

Katharine
S.gif

DOORSTEP PICK UP HOURS AT OUR HERNDON KITCHEN
Please call us at 703 466-5130 to place your order.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday 11 am - 4 pm

VISIT US!
(703) 466-5130
279 SUNSET PARK DRIVE
HERNDON, VA 20170

On 3/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, eatruneat said:

Taco Bamba (at least the one in DC) is doing carryout. We ordered online and our order was ready when we arrived. Remember to ask for your salsa(s) of choice. 

DC location as well as Poca Madre are no longer doing carryout. 

Big Buns!!!

This was the first takeout I've done since the quarantine. I've missed the burgers here (I was a once a week regular) so it was good to indulge again. It's nicely organized where you order online, then when you arrive and park in the alleyway, you call them and they bring it out to you. They also have glasses of wine to go for $2 and they gave me a ginormous glass of cabernet (Hidden Crush) in a soda cup.  The wine changes depending on inventory.  Tomorrow probably pizza (me-Stone Hot pizza, husband-Lost Dog).  

https://www.orderbigbuns.com/s/order

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 9:43 AM, deangold said:

The bigger question is who will survive to re-open. I hate to think how really tiny mom and pops with perhaps less than standard accounting might fare trying to get grants/loans. The cash economy is real even if our government thinks it doesn't or should be stomped out.

The US makes it somewhat easy for Mom & Pop places to hang out their town-code permissible shingles but is not designed to take care of mom & pop places when the boom goes bust.

The Danish government has promised to cover 75 percent to 90 percent of salaries if businesses do not lay off their employees. Better to pay to keep people employed than to pay for the disruption caused by mass layoffs and unemployment, the government has said.”

Beyond Denmark being tiny and having a population that entirely supports a generous social safety net, the US is a tethered to a “survival of the richest” economic theory where "it could happen to me" reverence for the ultra-rich prevails. This should be the catalyst for mandating paid sick leave and other work/life benefits, but it won’t so long as the Senate represents a minority of the population, contempt for and misunderstanding of the role of government is rampant, tax revenue has fallen, greed is pervasive and too many Americans & their legislators are unwilling to accept or even consider that there is a more efficient and effective way to take care of the population.

Those in the food service industry and agriculture have been exploited for decades. In 2002 I had to work 3 months in a restaurant with a hernia until I was covered by health insurance (health coverage should be the gov’t responsibility, not the employer’s, but that’s another thread) and the idea of paid sick days in a restaurant and most is a fantasy that would only outrage the colleagues who have to make up for the absence, like taking a vacation.

I found it curious that Danny Meyer & Friends penned a compassionate opinion pleading the government the throw a life-saver to their industry which is content to otherwise offer the most spartan benefits allowed by law in fair weather. Marcus Samuelson was in the byline too and surely he could convince his immediate colleagues and nationwide contemporaries that demanding work/life benefits which are standard elsewhere would benefit the 20 million restaurant workers & agriculture workers they rely on, just as they do for everyone else in his native Sweden regardless of job title.

Plenty of Mom & Pop’s are tragically and inevitably going to wither. If there is still a demand to eat out in 6 months, those who survived might recoil at the thought of expanding. In the interim, I hope the millions of people who feed themselves in isolation have (re)considered the merits of retail food stores and where that supply comes from. There is an infinite market for ingredients and my hope is that there is a modest shift towards smaller, independent specialty food and ingredient stores while keeping consolidation at bay. And the only way for smaller businesses to retain staff, survive and prosper is for the collective tax revenue to relieve them of the burden of providing fundamental benefits for the next hurricane, disease or whatever calamity.

• Like 1

Note: Please scroll up and read Poivrot Farci's post. I don't want to "cover it up" with this post, but I'm reading through this entire thread, start-to-finish, and it's a remarkable evolution (remember this started because people were avoiding Chinese restaurants - this thread began just one week before Marty's post).

On 3/15/2020 at 9:56 PM, Marty L. said:

Please never patronize Hill Restaurant Group joints.

ML, I'm guessing you no longer feel this way. Not everyone realized the gravity of this on the same day, or even in the same week, but within a couple of weeks, everyone came around (by choice or by fiat) - this is on Hill Restaurant Group's website:

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 15.00.35.pngScreenshot 2020-03-29 at 15.00.46.png

In general, I think we live in a "revenge culture" and I don't like it - this person owned up to his mistake (which I don't even think is very big), and he's A-OK by me. My anecdotal example is Arrowine, which was positively *packed* one week; the next week, entering there was like Indiana Jones entering the cave in the opening of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

2 hours ago, Poivrot Farci said:

Plenty of Mom & Pop’s are tragically and inevitably going to wither. If there is still a demand to eat out in 6 months, those who survived might recoil at the thought of expanding. In the interim, I hope the millions of people who feed themselves in isolation have (re)considered the merits of retail food stores and where that supply comes from. There is an infinite market for ingredients and my hope is that there is a modest shift towards smaller, independent specialty food and ingredient stores while keeping consolidation at bay. And the only way for smaller businesses to retain staff, survive and prosper is for the collective tax revenue to relieve them of the burden of providing fundamental benefits for the next hurricane, disease or whatever calamity.

So, I will say having gone through this, I would be much happier to support smaller shops over grocery stores for certain things, BUT I hope they also learn that online ordering platforms, and being willing to run something out to someone's car also make it a lot easier for people to shop at more local places-   It is a fine balance, I know. 

It took me a week to get a HT Express lane order, and I still don't know what I am even getting, as it is tomorrow.  I was so happy to be able to pick up some veggies from a Farmer's Market, if I knew what they had on a regular basis, and could choose what I wanted in my box and come and pick it up, I would do that way more often than going to a grocery store. Take note of that City of Alexandria... you could likely even get grant money for a program like that... (One reason I have never done a CSA is that Hubby has a strong dislike for a number of foods, so for instance the sweet potatoes we got this week, that's gonna be all on me to eat...)  The ease of being able to pull up, give them my name, and get the box was amazing, but it would be even more amazing if I could select what was going in based on what they had (this is more for the summer where there is a lot more in options). Or have items from multiple vendors. 

For me dairy is a bit more tricky because I am lactose intolerant.  If I wasn't I would get most of my cheese, milk, yogurt from Cheesetique right now.  Alas, I kind of have to go big industry to get lactose free margarines, milk, some cheese, etc.  Also Hubby is kind of basic (love him, but it's true) and I can't afford to spend money on really fancy cheese for every cheese, so we do get some basics from bigger stores- block cheddar, parm, gruyere or gouda.   

I WISH WISH WISH some smaller markets had better online ordering platforms so I knew what they had in stock and could place an Order.  I am talk to you- Let's Meat (I get it your butchers not social media people or web people, still, just a daily white board picture of what's in stock would be marvelous guys), or put together a small "box" of multiple items for take out that you designate as like a weekly or bi-weekly box.  And you Streets Market, etc.  I would love to support Streets over HT, but have no idea what they have in stock and am not in store shopping right now.  And you Dept of Beer and Wine, if you regularly delivered, we would order from you even more often.  So I get it that this isn't the time that businesses have the money to evolve, but sometimes necessity is the Mother of invention... 

And if anyone knows of other good small shops doing nice ordering systems for take out, we should have a topic on that, or restaurants that have also opened pantry supplies...   Maybe we could sort the topics by areas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

I WISH WISH WISH some smaller markets had better online ordering platforms so I knew what they had in stock and could place an Order.  I am talk to you- Let's Meat (I get it your butchers not social media people or web people, still, just a daily white board picture of what's in stock would be marvelous guys), or put together a small "box" of multiple items for take out that you designate as like a weekly or bi-weekly box.  And you Streets Market, etc.  I would love to support Streets over HT, but have no idea what they have in stock and am not in store shopping right now. 

Unfortunately most small markets and retail shops are prepared for this type of business model where the clientele is being asked to avoid public spaces and items are not ordered in person. Butcher shops and farmer’s market stands for example don’t have an endless inventory and what appears on the white board in the morning might very well be depleted by afternoon. Restaurants or stores that make prepared food can’t reliably advertise how many orders they have of something until they are made and farmers generally don’t know exact quantities of what they have until it is harvested a few days before sale. Constant updating is not a great use of time and often leads to confusion if someone sees items in the morning but they aren’t there later or vice versa. Large retailers have the advantage of technology and programs dedicated to tracking inventory in real time and their products have much longer shelf lives.

There aren’t many easy solutions that can replicate the ease of Amazon Prime for small retail. Anecdotally, our farm store was overwhelmed with online orders this past weekend and the process/time spent corresponding to confirm orders, items that we didn’t have enough of or were out of, coordinating pick-up times then calling to process credit card payments was impractical and excessive. This system for providing goods & services is new for everyone and customers need be patient given the unusual circumstances.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

And if anyone knows of other good small shops doing nice ordering systems for take out, we should have a topic on that, or restaurants that have also opened pantry supplies... 

When I saw this it reminded me that I read an article somewhere that mentioned that both Walter's and All-Purpose by the ballpark are doing CSAs in addition to their food and beverage takeout/delivery.

Then I just got an email from All-Purpose and they are doing CSAs at both of their locations on Tuesdays. Here's the email in browser form. {they've also got toilet paper}

If I could find the article again, I might have more information about what Walter's is doing.

• Like 1

Is there a thread where people are listing what restaurants are  temporarily closed or what restaurants are open for carry out, and if so if there’s a limited menu?  Or is this essentially that thread?  If so, people near Silver Spring might be interested to know that Methi, El Golfo, and Mandalay are all open and offering takeout, at least as of Sunday,   But Hakuna Matata Grill appears to be closed  

On 3/30/2020 at 3:55 PM, Pat said:

When I saw this it reminded me that I read an article somewhere that mentioned that both Walter's and All-Purpose by the ballpark are doing CSAs in addition to their food and beverage takeout/delivery.

Then I just got an email from All-Purpose and they are doing CSAs at both of their locations on Tuesdays. Here's the email in browser form. {they've also got toilet paper}

If I could find the article again, I might have more information about what Walter's is doing.

A friend just got one of the All Purpose CSA boxes, and it looks like more places are stepping in to fill this role.  If not for themselves (of course it's partially for themselves!), then for their suppliers who they will need if and when they open back up.  I'm all on board to support that where and when we can, although for budgetary and logistical reasons it can't fully replace "normal" groceries for us.  We have been getting milk and eggs from Big Bear cafe along with our morning coffee pick up, and I'm looking at getting an order through Number 1 Sons who appears to have partnered with several of their fellow FreshFarm vendors for CSA boxes.  And after letting it slide last year after a few years of good experiences we're certainly going to re-up our CSA subscription to the neighborhood farm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TedE said:

A friend just got one of the All Purpose CSA boxes, and it looks like more places are stepping in to fill this role.  If not for themselves (of course it's partially for themselves!), then for their suppliers who they will need if and when they open back up.  I'm all on board to support that where and when we can, although for budgetary and logistical reasons it can't fully replace "normal" groceries for us.  We have been getting milk and eggs from Big Bear cafe along with our morning coffee pick up, and I'm looking at getting an order through Number 1 Sons who appears to have partnered with several of their fellow FreshFarm vendors for CSA boxes.  And after letting it slide last year after a few years of good experiences we're certainly going to re-up our CSA subscription to the neighborhood farm.

What did your friend say about the All Purpose CSA? I called the Shaw location this afternoon about them and they said they sold out within 30 minutes. Apparently they’re going to do it again Friday. 

I’m not going to eat anywhere on premises while restaurants are still figuring out how this works. I’m happy to pick up and carryout for the foreseeable future. If I was going to eat at any of the restaurants that allow it now, Clarity seems the safest bet. 

1 minute ago, Lori Gardner said:

I’m not going to eat anywhere on premises while restaurants are still figuring out how this works. I’m happy to pick up and carryout for the foreseeable future. If I was going to eat at any of the restaurants that allow it now, Clarity seems the safest bet. 

I saw Taberna del Alabardero serving on the patio last night.

In my area, Annapolis, it seems they have expanded dinner under the stars to start Wednesday.  Each Wednesday night streets will be closed so that restaurants can move tables outside.  There are efforts underway to expand this to weekends as well.  Annapolis is first and foremost a sailing town with the majority of visitors between Memorial day and the boats shows in October.  Local restaurants started with putting tables in parking lots as a step to open up and not go under.  The majority of them did offer take out as well.

My wife and I have no plans for outdoor dining yet.  We have been taking in regularly and have a waterfront view on our deck.  Saturday it was O'learys, one of the finer seafood establishments here.  I had their Crispy Rockfish while my wife had Crab Cakes.  Both were excellent.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkS said:

In my area, Annapolis, it seems they have expanded dinner under the stars to start Wednesday.  Each Wednesday night streets will be closed so that restaurants can move tables outside.  There are efforts underway to expand this to weekends as well.  Annapolis is first and foremost a sailing town with the majority of visitors between Memorial day and the boats shows in October.  Local restaurants started with putting tables in parking lots as a step to open up and not go under.  The majority of them did offer take out as well.

My wife and I have no plans for outdoor dining yet.  We have been taking in regularly and have a waterfront view on our deck.  Saturday it was O'learys, one of the finer seafood establishments here.  I had their Crispy Rockfish while my wife had Crab Cakes.  Both were excellent.   

My FIL and his boat are headed your way. Would love to know others that are up and distant. They are both in their 60s and one is immunocompromised. 

Do you know where your FIL will be staying in this area.  If docked or moored in Annapolis there are lots of choices for local take out.  Carrol's Creek, Boatyard, Level, O'Learys, Eastport Kitchen, Blacekwall Hitch and Vin909 are close to downtown and good choices.  I'd recommend taking in and eating on boat if possible. I am over 60, not compromised but want to avoid the crowds and crazies as much as possible.

On 3/29/2020 at 2:31 PM, Poivrot Farci said:

We have shopped at an ethnic market (Super Best in Laurel) before and during the pandemic. We also discovered there is a M.O.M in Jessup of all places and since there is no serious amount of housing nearby and it is not a huuge store, we found we could take our time there and get 80-90% of what we need - great experience.

We also have shopped (as soon as they have opened) at Spicknall's, this is a farm and farm stand at the Powder Mill Road exit of 95 in MD one exit up from the beltway and highly recommended. Fresh stuff of their wn or nearby. When season is out they snarf up goodies from points south or nort from producers they have established 30-40-year relationships with to extend the season for certain produce. We spend heavily there whenever possible.

One of the things I miss terribly is Laurel Meat Market - it's been a challenge finding certain proteins during this mess and I know they'd have probably had an inside line on sources but alas they closed a few years ago.

• Like 1

As restaurants open up for indoor sitting in the area, I wanted to ask if anyone has actually done it. Going out yesterday for a shopping day to many locations for groceries and other items, there seemed to be a wide range of people using masks or not. 

What was your experience? Did you feel safe? How did the food rate to previous visits?

I dined indoors last night. Waiters were wearing masks and gloves, and we were wearing masks when not eating. My experience was that regulations were being adhered to by staff and customers. While I personally do not feel that dining indoors is a high risk activity for me/ my family, I completely understand those who feel differently and respect their decisions.

We felt as safe as one can feel in this environment and the food (Auberge Provencal) was as good as it's ever been.

Some of us are at risk and simply cannot risk the exposure to possibly getting Covid19. So we sit here, biding our time, doing whatever cooking we can, carry out of the highest order as often as possible,but we still crave the full on dining experience.

It will come. There will be safety. A vaccine we hope. This will pass.

So then, where to dine?

Make a list.

First place will be Annabelle. Then Kinship. Then SO MANY PLACES.

You?

• Like 1

That list is incredibly long. I hope at least some of these places survive. Rappahannock Oyster Bar on a beautiful Saturday for lunch when the Union Market windows are all open. Archipelago for tiki drinks and Sichuan food before a show at the U Street Music Hall. Thamee for some of the most interesting and unique food in my neighborhood. Taqueria La Placita for some really good tacos. And probably first on my list, Tail Up Goat, for incredible food and service. 

And so many others that I can't even count. 

10 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Too many to list. My concern is whether or not they will still be there when it becomes safer.

there is that. Part of the problem is that some restaurants start opeing for in person dining and abandon carryout entirely - it is like putting all your eggs in one basket.

It is tre that the DC area is more sane on masks, gloves and social distancing, but still, it is going to get worse before it goes ok and then safe - these restaurants need to know there are people willing to do (high end) carryout and they are leaving money on the table if they ignore folks that are not able to safely dine out

• Like 1

From a Md political blog. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.......   Probably blew any hopes of a couple of Michelins........

Restaurant: My Staff Will Not Wear Face Masks

by Adam Pagnucco

By Adam Pagnucco.

Last night, The Grille at Flower Hill, a restaurant in Gaithersburg, posted a complaint on Facebook about the county’s health department enforcing the county’s social distancing and mask rules. Specifically, the post said, “Let me be very clear…my staff will not wear face masks while working here at the Grille. If that bothers you then please dine elsewhere and please try to find something more important to occupy your time such as volunteer at a nursing home or soup kitchen. Whoever you are that filed the complaint, you need to take a good look in the mirror and try to find some real meaning in your life.”

As if on cue, from Md's legal newspaper.....

Md. businesses, employees caught in the middle on masks

Maryland businesses and their employees find themselves increasingly caught in a battle zone, expected to enforce the governor’s order that store customers wear face masks during the coronavirus pandemic even as some patrons are bridling at following that order. Employees and managers are having to persuade balking and sometimes angry customers that they need to wear the face coverings, all while avoiding a confrontation or summoning police. (Daily Record)

Oh a positive note- I posted it elsewhere on the board- I had a very positive dining experience outdoors at Lena's Oasis.  Their staff are wearing masks (and gloves if they are touching plates, etc).  The tables in the "Oasis" are spaced REALLY far apart, their are partitions and plants.  We had a corner table which was even more spaced from others.  There are straws if you are worried about drinking from the glasses.  Etc, etc.  It made me feel as safe as one can right now, and a wee bit normal.  It was lovely.  I can walk there from my house, so I didn't have to worry about driving or getting in an Uber.  I don't know that I am ready to take the plunge at a lot of places, but I felt like they were very much thinking of my safety. I also had my mask on until drinks/food came.  And put it on when the server came to take our order (your mask protects me, my mask protects you).  Michael our server was just too nice. We had friends that went to Whiskey & Oyster.  There were a good amount of people sitting outside, and there were only two occupied tables in the whole indoor space, so they sat inside instead as they felt they could be further away from people that way.  So everyone has their own comfort level.  

But I won't go somewhere if staff isn't wearing masks.  That is a personal choice for me. 

• Like 1

Not surprisingly they are getting savaged on Facebook and Yelp.  So far, there's only one post praising them for putting everyone in danger and that's from someone whose last Yelp post is from 19 months ago.  Hummmmm.

ETA - my post is about the Grille at Flower Hill.  ktmoomau snuck in before me! ;-)

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2020 at 8:15 AM, Count Bobulescu said:

As if on cue, from Md's legal newspaper.....

Md. businesses, employees caught in the middle on masks

Maryland businesses and their employees find themselves increasingly caught in a battle zone, expected to enforce the governor’s order that store customers wear face masks during the coronavirus pandemic even as some patrons are bridling at following that order. Employees and managers are having to persuade balking and sometimes angry customers that they need to wear the face coverings, all while avoiding a confrontation or summoning police. (Daily Record)

It would sure help if they actually passed these as laws instead of regulations and put some enforcement in place to make sure restaurants are complying. This situation is not going away anytime soon.

20 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

It would sure help if they actually passed these as laws instead of regulations and put some enforcement in place to make sure restaurants are complying. This situation is not going away anytime soon.

Regulations do have the force of law.
One difficulty with converting to statute, is that opponents would look for a sunset clause, and it would be a brave/foolish person who'd commit to a date certain at this point. Raising the price of violating the regs might be an easier way to go, but the violators have already been shut down, which is a significant fine.
Edited by Count Bobulescu
link

Not DC area, obviously, but this seemed like maybe the thread for this (?):

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/07/08/alinea-made-a-coronavirus-themed-dish-its-not-going-over-well/

I didn't have a visceral negative reaction but it appears many people have. Acknowledging the reason everything is so weird doesn't seem horrible on its face, but repeatedly try to defend it against angry pandemic sufferers seems like a lost cause.

ETA: The one comment about it by Kokonas makes me think that Grant Achatz must be the one who came up with it, and he's high risk, so you'd think that would be a mitigating factor in evaluating the canape.

ETA2: Achatz is the person who designed it. More here. It doesn't mention him being high risk, though, so maybe he's not considered high risk now.

Didn't see a topic for Makan, the new Malaysian restaurant to open in the former Meridian Pint space at 11th and Park Ave NW in Columbia Heights. 

We got takeout from them on Thursday night. We ordered chicken skewers (Sate), Curry Mee noodles, and the Nasi Goreng fried rice with shrimp, sausage, etc. Everything was well spiced, well cooked, and interesting. I haven't had Malaysian in years since.. Malaysian Kopitiam was around. But this was tasty and interesting.

All the meat was very tenderly cooked. Deduct points because they forgot to include the peanut sauce with the Sate. Add points for the helpful reheat instructions on the soup and noodles. the Nasi Goreng was my favorite and I look forward to trying some of the other mixed rice dishes. Sietsema gave them a nice, brief writeup.

I also got the Junglebird cocktail in a pouch. Pretty good, though maybe expensive for $25? Who can tell what are properly-priced to-go cocktails in a pouch? The bitter compari-based "national cocktail of Malaysia" contrasted well with the salty fried rice.

Though we did takeout, they have what feels like a reasonably safe set up if someone wanted to dine on location. They've take over the parking spaces on 11th and added tables that were half full on Thursday night. Inside, they have opened the garage door/windows on the upstairs with lots of fans going. Had to do a double take on the decor after years of patronizing Meridian Pint. All of the staff was masked up, as were patrons not at tables enjoying food. The gentle rumble of traffic kind of ruins the ambiance, if the DC summer didn't, but seeing multiple servers and bussers working was such a welcome sight. It was one of the first times I saw a restaurant humming in what looked to be a safe way. Maybe this is what sustainable dining is now? Still probably 66-75% of the patrons I'd expect at Meridian pint on a Thursday, using 150% of the real estate thanks to free public space. Not what most restaurants can physically do, but it's something.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Their online menu shows 5 items.  Is that all they're serving?

Their menu is quite limited but the quality is good.  We like the Char Kway Teow best but nothing here has been bad in the 4 takeout meals we've gotten from them. 

On 7/10/2020 at 2:26 PM, Pat said:

Not DC area, obviously, but this seemed like maybe the thread for this (?):

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/07/08/alinea-made-a-coronavirus-themed-dish-its-not-going-over-well/

I didn't have a visceral negative reaction but it appears many people have. Acknowledging the reason everything is so weird doesn't seem horrible on its face, but repeatedly try to defend it against angry pandemic sufferers seems like a lost cause.

ETA: The one comment about it by Kokonas makes me think that Grant Achatz must be the one who came up with it, and he's high risk, so you'd think that would be a mitigating factor in evaluating the canape.

ETA2: Achatz is the person who designed it. More here. It doesn't mention him being high risk, though, so maybe he's not considered high risk now.

And. . .they're closed after a staffer tested positive.  Quite sure there is zero causality, of course.

Stopped at the Block in Annandale to pick up some take-out for lunch and, overall, there are not good protocols there.   People were all wearing masks, but that's about all I can say is good.  Definitely more than 50 people inside, distancing not well observed, etc.  After about a minute and a half of trying to stay in line and away from others, I beat feet out of there because a group of 10-12 folks walked in and were basically blocking the doors creating even worse line flow and lack of distancing.   

• Like 3

I'm not sure people fully realize just how screwed restaurants are right now.

I wrote one well-known chef who has *zero* covers tonight, and is closing early.

I wrote another well-known chef, and told him about the first chef having zero covers, and he replied, "No surprises there."

On 7/12/2020 at 6:03 PM, DonRocks said:

I'm not sure people fully realize just how screwed restaurants are right now.

I wrote one well-known chef who has *zero* covers tonight, and is closing early.

I wrote another well-known chef, and told him about the first chef having zero covers, and he replied, "No surprises there."

I would prefer if all of those that have chosen to re-open would either in addition to outside or inside service continue to do carry out service. I'd love to continue to support these restaurants but it seems like a lot of nicer places that were doing carryout may not be doing both dining and carry out now. I have not really checked, but I have a week coming up where I'd love to carry out excellent high end dinners all week long - I guess I will have to do some research to see what we can come up with.

• Like 1

It's bad out there.  I don't know what the solution is. We are trying to do take out/delivery a few nights a week.  But I also don't want to drive a really far way to do pick up either just for a weeknight- because Hubby and I have been working crazy hours and are tired, as well.  Add on to that then if I want to see my Mom, I am trying to do stay at home pretty thoroughly for a week before I go.  I wish we had better leadership across the board to think of creative solutions.  And I am not just talking about the national level- I am talking all the way down to the local level. 

• Like 5

With the caveat that prediction (especially about the future) is difficult, one of the editors of the Rabo bank quarterly report on the wine industry, recently told a California audience they don't believe the on premise sector will recover to pre Covid levels before the end of 2022. That's the good news. Black Box Intelligence, which researches only the restaurant industry, has a time scale of 2024 to 2025+ depending on how the virus is contained.

41 minutes ago, Count Bobulescu said:
With the caveat that prediction (especially about the future) is difficult, one of the editors of the Rabo bank quarterly report on the wine industry, recently told a California audience they don't believe the on premise sector will recover to pre Covid levels before the end of 2022. That's the good news. Black Box Intelligence, which researches only the restaurant industry, has a time scale of 2024 to 2025+ depending on how the virus is contained.

I think how the virus is contained is only half the equation. The commercial real estate market is a huge piece of this as well. If businesses suddenly wake up and realize that they can save a shit ton of money by cutting their physical footprint and letting employees who can continue to work from home, that’s going to totally transform our downtown areas, obviously to the extreme detriment of restaurants and other businesses that depended on the people who worked in those spaces. 

3 hours ago, Rhone1998 said:

I think how the virus is contained is only half the equation. The commercial real estate market is a huge piece of this as well. If businesses suddenly wake up and realize that they can save a shit ton of money by cutting their physical footprint and letting employees who can continue to work from home, that’s going to totally transform our downtown areas, obviously to the extreme detriment of restaurants and other businesses that depended on the people who worked in those spaces. 

First up, I incorrectly attributed the 24/5 timeline to Black Box, it was in fact McKinsey. I was skimming a report on a report. 
T
hat said you make a good point, maybe better than McKinsey, they don't seem to agree with you. They think CRE will recover quickly. See the 2nd exhibit
Here .

There's going to be a bloodbath at the regional and local bank level if rental rates reset lower (and I have a hunch that this is absolutely correct - I know many firms that are absolutely rethinking their office plans now that WFH has been proven effective). Regional banks can basically only compete in commercial real estate.  It almost killed them during the GFC (and did kill those most exposed to construction) and will be even worse if the core portfolios take a hit. Cap rates are absurdly low right now but when the numerator goes down, that's what hurts.