To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

DC Mayor Vincent Gray, and council members Kwame Brown, Yvette M. Alexander, Tommy Wells, Muriel Bowser and Michael A. Brown following their arrest, protesting the federal spending deal that imposed riders on the District.

"Clear that room for them, please," he said.

She led us towards an office.

"Doesn't he have any more questions?" I asked.

"No," she said.

We sat and waited for what seemed like an hour, but was probably only a few minutes. The door opened. He walked in, took a few slow steps towards a stool, and sat down across from us, sizing us up with his eyes.

After several seconds of silence, he quietly asked, "How much do you guys know about this stuff?"

I had spent the past three days, almost non-stop, researching terms I'd never heard of before: CA-125, ascites, neoplastic process.

"Well," I said with mock confidence, "I know that these things are often false positives. It can be a cyst, or tuberculosis, or any number of other things."

I was proud, defiant, and optimistic, and then I came right out and said it:

"And even in the worst-case scenario, she still has a 30% chance of living 5 years. Right?"

He looked at us in silence. Without saying a word, his look turned to one of compassion and sorrow. He gently lifted his arm out to the side.

Then, from his outstretched arm, he extended his thumb out from his clenched hand, and slowly turned it down to the ground.

To my wife, Member Number One, on the tenth anniversary of our diagnosis.

A toast to not one, but FOUR of our dr.com members for making it onto Saveur Mag's Best Food Blog Awards as finalists!!

Vote for Monica Bhide (Best Culinary Essay), Dmnkly (blog is Skillet Doux - Best Restaurant/Dining Coverage) and Ulterior Epicure (Best Restaurant/Dining Coverage) and DinerGirl (Alinea at Home - Best Cook Through)!!

Let me know if I've missed anyone!!

A toast to not one, but FOUR of our dr.com members for making it onto Saveur Mag's Best Food Blog Awards as finalists!!

Vote for Monica Bhide (Best Culinary Essay), Dmnkly {blog is Skillet Doux} and Ulterior Epicure (Best Restaurant/Dining Coverage) and DinerGirl (Alinea at Home - Best Cook Through)!!

Let me know if I've missed anyone!!

Congratulations All!

To Kavita,

who just drove with me out to Christ Church in Millwood, Virginia, where Karen and I were married ten years ago today, and shared a moment of silence to honor her.

Your act of grace took a day that could have been filled with sorrow, and filled it instead with happiness.

And I know that one angel is now smiling down upon another.

Toasting our Maestro, who has endured much pain recently.

If others will agree, we should have an hour of silence on the board tomorrow.

Thank you, Mary!

To my mom last week - the picture of happiness, health, and life - at the wedding of her oldest grandchild (*):

post-2-0-93434000-1304635152_thumb.jpg

And to my mom and dad today, on their 88th. birthday, reunited once again after 17 years of being apart:

post-2-0-15945400-1304634703_thumb.jpg

The drink of choice? There could be no other.

(*) I just found out today that there was a request for "no rice throwing" at the wedding. However, my mom had brought a bag from home and threw it anyway - this is a picture of that. B)

Edited by DonRocks

To Don and his Mom and Dad. My mother joined my dad 2 1/2 years ago after almost 30 years. She never stopped loving him. I was lucky to have been able to share my love of farmers markets with her. Here she is, thrilled to have received a rose from a flower vendor in Old Town. Good memory...

mom-with-rose-small.jpg

To Dick Newhall, the great aircraft mechanic. He was in the Air Force almost 8 years and served in Korea. In his retirement years he worked on restoring about 18 airplanes. He had also rebuilt many cars. The plane he was most proud of was the Nieuport 28C-1. It was the first armed aircraft the Army used in WWI. It flew the first combat mission in April, 1917. It was part of the 94th squadron which still flies today in the USAF at Langley, VA. He worked on the Nieuport for one and a half years. The Smithsonian spent 5 years restoring it. It hangs in the Dulles facility. He made the ventura tube that is on the side of the plane.

He was wise, kind, and always had an enthralling story to tell.

And, he happened to be the loving husband of Peggy Newhall, my son's wonderful piano teacher of many years.

I will miss him a lot.

To St. Anthony. Because I really, really need to find 50 bucks before tomorrow or I'm really, really screwed, as Mastercard apparently has no quarter in west Africa, and customs in the region is a stickler about not letting folks move between countries on good faith.

To St. Anthony. Because I really, really need to find 50 bucks before tomorrow or I'm really, really screwed, as Mastercard apparently has no quarter in west Africa, and customs in the region is a stickler about not letting folks move between countries on good faith.

Is a MoneyGram or Western Union possible or nearby?

Betty Wheeler--founder and principal of Metro High School in St. Louis. The best educator I've known. She had passion and vision and knew every single one of the kids in "her" school.

I am so lucky to have known her, to have been nurtured by her and to be a proud Metro grad.

RIP Betty.

I don't know what the rest of you god-fearing types were expecting today, but I took my chances with Coco, Cocoa, Topaz, Natasha and Sunshine and a couple of bottles of Dom P in the back of the club, and trust me--since Fab Five Freddy told me everyone's high--I found my own rapture for sure.

And since it just happened to be Biggie's birthday, what better way to go out than to Get Money.

Unless we all deserve One more chance.

Is a MoneyGram or Western Union possible or nearby?

Not in Conakry between midnight and 4am! But everything worked out anyway. The consular offices in the US, Ghana, and Guinea insisted that I'd need it, but when I got in, the customs guy smiled and said, "No, not at all, dear. [sTAMP] Welcome to Accra and please enjoy your stay." St. Anthony always comes through... and this trip seems to be finally getting on track!

To Mr. East a 90-year-old retiree living in a retirement home in Charleston. Luckily for me he drives to his Beach home on Seabrook Island once a week. I was stranded about 15 miles away from my rental on a backcountry road. He saw me walking with an unrideable bicycle; pulled up beside me and asked, "May I be of any assistance to you"?

Thanks for the ride Mr. East!

To my brand new niece, Caitlyn Rose.

And to my sister, her mom, who deserves a medal.

Darlin', all mammalian females who have gone through the crucible of pregnancy and childbirth deserve a medal. Your sister now gets to share her "war story" with the others'. The ones who have the capacity for human speech, that is. B)

I'm raising a Stewart's diet root beer to Liane Hansen, who retired today after 22 years as host of NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday. She has detractors, I know, but I've always thought she did the best interviews of musicians I've ever heard-- intelligent, informed and compassionate. She always seems to know how to draw people's stories out of them, rather than showing off her knowledge of the interviewee's press package, like Terri Gross often does. click

To the Big Man. Send him some love. B)

I echo your :D. The last time I saw him play, I wondered if it would be the last time, since he was having such a hard time getting around and needed to sit when he wasn't playing. But a stroke was not on my mind at all. I hope he makes a great recovery.