Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen, an Enormous Atlanta-Based Franchise Acquired by AFC Enterprises in 1993

Onion rings, Cajun fries, Cajun rice - all AWESOME!

And is it just me, or were the biscuits fluffier, butterier, and overall just better in the 80s?

I was thinking the same thing last month when I broke down for one of my 2-3 times a year stops at Popeye's. The biscuits WERE better, just a year ago! The biscuit I had recently was flat, dry and chalky tastig...much more like what I come to expect from KFC. The chicken, however...was just as yummy as ever. I should clarify that I really go here for the chicken crust...it's the part I like and the reason that I usually buy wings...I frankly couldn't care less about the chicken meat itself.

Most Sundays, I throw my dog in the car, run over to the Glover Park Whole Foods for the weekly groceries, and then stop by the Guy Mason dog park next door so Kiko can have a run. What with all the Popeye's talk over on the Chick-fil-A thread, I says to myself this morning why not check out the Newark Street dog park up behind McLean Gardens after Whole Foods, and then zip by the Tenleytown Popeye's for some Fried Chicken. So that's what Kiko and I did. We'd never been to the Newark Street park, which opened in 2010, I think. It's pretty nice, fairly large, with a crushed-stone surface. No trees, but there is a little sort of pavilion that provides shade, and unlike Walter Pierce park there's a water supply inside the dog park. Anyway, I got two pieces of chicken with red beans and rice to go, and took it home and ate it with a nice chilled rosé. I hadn't had Popeye's for a couple of years. I don't know if they've changed their formula or their ingredients, but the rice in the red beans and rice was awful. In the past, it always seemed like "converted" rice (like Uncle Ben's) -- not my favorite, but not bad. What I got today seemed like pre-cooked, dehydrated, and reconstituted -- i.e., Minute-- Rice. The red beans seemed inferior to what I remembered as well, although not as dramatically so. The chicken was wonderful as always--crunchy coating, succulent meat, tasty. I may have to rethink my side order in the future. Still, way better than my one sandwich at Chick-fil-A.

And could we change the title of this thread to Popeyes? Obviously quite a few of the posters in this thread have a positive view of the fried chicken chain.

Count me as another big fan of Popeye's chicken. My go-to place was on Columbia Road, so my waist line and cholesterol count is grateful that it's closed, but I'm with Sietsema on this one. It was the only fast-food place that I thought was worth the calories. I couldn't care less about the sides, so have no comment on that, except to say that I was always sorely disappointed that the local place never had the green beans. Those might have been remotely worth eating and worth what little calorie count was involved. Still, a spicy breast was all I have ever longed for.

When I was in college, I lived right next door to a Popeye's with a drive-through that stayed open very, very late. It was always rather disconcerting to be awakened at 1 a.m. by some drunk yelling into the order speaker, "Hello! Hello! I need two spicy breasts!"

Does Popeye's still serve fried gizzards? Oh my...they were delicious.

One thing I've noticed about Popeye's is that it's pretty inconsistent between franchises. The chicken at the Tenleytown location is tastier and less greasy than the 14th St location. My uncle and cousin in Boston used to go to a further away Popeye's because they knew and could taste that the oil was changed more frequently. I'm guessing it's a similar situation here.

I do like that the gravy for the potatoes have little meat bits in it still. Mmm...

One thing I've noticed about Popeye's is that it's pretty inconsistent between franchises. The chicken at the Tenleytown location is tastier and less greasy than the 14th St location.

I find the same thing. The Popeye's on Rockville Pike I enjoy for a treat, while the Popeyes that used to be at the Cabin John shopping center (shut down last year) was TERRIBLE - I would drive past Cabin John and go to Rockville Pike!!

I love the red beans & rice. I also like the fried crawfish when they have them. My local popeye's does not seem to have biscuits as good as the ones I had years ago in Texas... not sure if they changed the recipe or its just me.

The chicken I had at Popeyes' last week at the Rockville Pike/Old Georgetown Rd. store was seriously the best fried chicken I've eaten. Juicy, crunchy, spicy, the works.

To be fair, I've had a number of bad meals at the same location...dry, under-seasoned, etc., but when they nail it, they nail it.

And as a bonus, they have fried apple pies, like the ones McDonald's used to have before they wussed out and started baking them.

I love those things.

• Like 1

We came back and had some Popeyes after seeing it literally everywhere on our vacation and not eating it.  My favorite thing at Popeye's (I agree the chicken is good, I prefer spicy, but Hubby doesn't, so I sprinkle it with spices at home, or dip some particularly crunchy bits in sirracha) is actually the rice and beans, the bean ratio is heavy, but it is my favorite thing there.  The leftovers from this particle order of rice and beans got taken to work as lunch for me this week with a host of roasted vegetables leftover from our Zoe's take-out.  This was an excellent combination.

• Like 1

I was surprised to read all the praise of Popeyes biscuits earlier in the thread. I don't love them (and I love biscuits generally). I find them dense, dry, and chalky, and they have an odd margarine-like taste. Maybe the recipe has changed since those prior posts.

5 hours ago, dracisk said:

I was surprised to read all the praise of Popeyes biscuits earlier in the thread. I don't love them (and I love biscuits generally). I find them dense, dry, and chalky, and they have an odd margarine-like taste. Maybe the recipe has changed since those prior posts.

I am really picky about biscuits, I don't love theirs.

26 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Has anyone tried the chicken sandwich?  It returns on Nov. 3.

I tried one during the first run. It was pretty good for a fast food chicken sandwich. I've only had chic fil a once, so can't really compare the two, though.

7 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

From my friend Michael Bozzelli at Bozzelli's flagship in Springfield.

I would take a Bozzelli's chicken parm sandwich over all of them.

Never had the chicken parm, but enjoyed the pizza at the DC location. Will check it out, though totally unrelated to a popeye's (or Shake Shack) chicken sandwich.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:12 AM, frogprince said:

Y’all havent REALLY lived/had Popeye’s till ya have it in south Louisiana- it truly is a radically different dining experience; service, decor, food are all wildly superior 

I had the same thoughts about the McDonald's in Paris. It was wildly superior to the US experience. 

Well, gang, since we don't live in South Looziana, allow me to report on the new DMV-style Popeyes Chicken Sandwich, which became available again today. I tried it at the Greenbriar (Chantilly) Popeyes and the line was long but my god, for $3.99 that is top-tier fast food. I got a side of Cajun rice for $2 more. Once the lines die down, the value will improve even more.

Popeyes chicken is now "to die for."

28-year-old man was fatally stabbed Monday night during an argument involving a chicken sandwich at a Popeyes restaurant in Prince George’s County, Md., police said.

The dispute began when one man cut in front of another in a line specifically for ordering a sandwich, said Jennifer Donelan, spokeswoman for the county police. Popeyes resumed selling its popular sandwich Sunday.

From WaPo.

• Sad 1

On 10/31/2019 at 2:11 PM, DanielK said:

I agree with you on half of that - Five Guys is glop. Shake Shack, without lines, is pretty decent for a fast casual burger.

Burger at Shake Shack is > burger at Five Guys.  Fries at Five Guys are > fries at Shake Shack.

I had both a Classic and a Spicy Chicken Sandwich today, and I can once again say that I don't "get" Popeye's. 

The Spicy was the better of the two, only because it had some degree of flavor; but only because of the mild heat. Both sandwiches came with (ugh) mayonnaise, the quality of the chicken was atrocious, and the batter (especially on the spicy) was "batter for batter's sake."

I can see having a craving for this in the same way that I might crave a McDonald's cheeseburger once every ten years, but no more than that - these were disgusting. I ate half of each sandwich, and threw the rest in the trash - never again.

And the lines at 4:15 PM, both in the drive-thru, and the walk-in, were ridiculous. People have absolutely no taste.

9 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I had both a Classic and a Spicy Chicken Sandwich today, and I can once again say that I don't "get" Popeye's. 

The Spicy was the better of the two, only because it had some degree of flavor; but only because of the mild heat. Both sandwiches came with (ugh) mayonnaise, the quality of the chicken was atrocious, and the batter (especially on the spicy) was "batter for batter's sake."

I can see having a craving for this in the same way that I might crave a McDonald's cheeseburger once every ten years, but no more than that - these were disgusting. I ate half of each sandwich, and threw the rest in the trash - never again.

And the lines at 4:15 PM, both in the drive-thru, and the walk-in, were ridiculous. People have absolutely no taste.

Bit of a different take on the sandwich.  I also had both sandwiches--quick tip, download the app and order/pay- then you bypass line.

Both sandwiches were very juicy under the super crisp breading.  Spicy had a slight kick.  The Classic didn't have a ton of flavor, but perhaps it was too hot to tell.

I would say that if you have to do a fast food lunch- this is much better than anything offered at McDs- would not wait in a line, but it would do the trick.

• Like 4

"If this is referring to Shake Shack, it's $3.09 at my local outlet, and it's a substantial pile of fries. That and a burger is more than enough for a meal. "

3.09 is correct on the fries, I was there yesterday.  And if I was to have them I would split them with another party.  But I still find that at my local outlet the fries are skimpy.  However I find it amusing that some one should tell me or anyone what makes "more than enough" for a proper meal.  :unsure:  

On 11/6/2019 at 1:56 PM, cocoagirl said:

but you get like six or seven for $3.99

4 minutes ago, cocoagirl said:

"If this is referring to Shake Shack, it's $3.09 at my local outlet, and it's a substantial pile of fries. That and a burger is more than enough for a meal. "

3.09 is correct on the fries, I was there yesterday.  And if I was to have them I would split them with another party.  But I still find that at my local outlet the fries are skimpy.  However I find it amusing that some one should tell me or anyone what makes "more than enough" for a proper meal.  :unsure:  

I'm challenging your "six or seven [fries]", not your appetite.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:41 PM, DonRocks said:

You took one for the team.  Seriously stay away from fast food and drink more wine.