Applebee's - Sex NASCAR Harry Potter Paris Hilton - Ha Ha Ha, Now It Will Come Up on Google

Consistency is subordinate to cash flow/profit/stock valuation when considering chains versus independents and the like.

Agree 100% - I was speaking more of what is presented to the customer. Profit is the destination and consistency is the train that takes them there. Any new dish/paint color/5' square menu redesign must prove profitable and be delivered with robotic consistency.

... I was the one who was punished by the thinnest, toughest, grisliest piece of tasteless meat that I have ever eaten. Given the circumstances, the meal made a bad situation worse.

So in the end, bad food does nobody good. And who deserves quality food, the diner who can send his filet back because it is medium instead of medium well, or the family who goes out to Applebee's because at least they can get out of the house for once?

Agreed here as well - but know that it is very possible that the average Applebees diner actually prefers the kind of meat you had. And not simply that they haven't had any better, they literally prefer the 'bad' stuff. An an example, I much preferred canned veggies over fresh for a loooong time...just because that's what I was used to. Learned behaviors introduce a strong inertia.

Loving this multi-quote thing...just discovered it. Is it not possible to 'preview' a post first though? Couldn't we before? (edit - nevermind - found it)

Don - are you still happy with the idea of digging up the Applebees thread? new vistors might come thinking "hey, let's find some serious food discussion" then see Applebees near the top of the topics list. Can you undo what's already been done? Do you want to?

I ate at an Applebee's once, and what I was served didn't even seem like food. Did I miss something?

Nope... not that I know of. My wife and I used to take my mother (now gone for 4 years) out to local Brooklyn eyetalian places for lasagna and ziti and all things tomato-y. But she, in her 80s, wanted to branch out and expand her horizons. So, although we made many recommendations, she insisted that Applebee's was the place to go. She cut out the ad with the address of the nearest one and off we went. Ginny and I downed several frozen (poorly made) drinks to get thru the dinner, but my mother happily finished her honey sweetened chicken and exclaimed "they have a really good chef here". Not much for us to say to that other than "waiter, we'll have another round of drinks please". Thankfully, she didnt ask for a kitchen tour. Just sayin'. :blink:

Charles Murray's book Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010 has been out for a little while, and I thought this related bubble quiz question (#9) was interesting to us. We knew it already, but apparently eating at an Applebees, TGIF, or Outback really is a deterministic metric for the "unprecedented, class-based cultural gap in America."

Charles Murray's book Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010 has been out for a little while, and I thought this related bubble quiz question (#9) was interesting to us. We knew it already, but apparently eating at an Applebees, TGIF, or Outback really is a deterministic metric for the "unprecedented, class-based cultural gap in America."

Great Catch!

On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble,you scored between 0 and 4. In other words, your bubble is so thick you may not even know you're in one.

I'm still not going to eat at Applebees.

Working on a factory floor was one of the best jobs of my high school career. I learned a lot from it, and I don't think I could have made it as far in my field as I have without having done that job.

Forget working on a factory floor.

After sexing chicks using the Japanese Anal Method*, there's nothing in the world that even comes close.

*Cuttlefish and asparagus, anyone? Hold on Kyle, I believe in youuuuuuuuuuu!

After sexing chicks using the Japanese Anal Method*, there's nothing in the world that even comes close.

*Cuttlefish and asparagus, anyone? Hold on Kyle, I believe in youuuuuuuuuuu!

Nice. That's actually kind of relevant given Apple's recent announcement.

Except for Watkins Glen and Infineon. :P

Okay, how about: start engine, turn left most of the time with a couple of exceptions where good ole boys try to remember that stock car racing started as an exercise in running moonshine in the backwoods of Virginia and Tennessee?

If you happen to be in Rexburg, Idaho anytime soon (I was there in December), Applebee's is the only place within a 30-mile radius to get a glass of (mediocre) wine. A point in its favor, I guess.

This immediately raises two questions. Why would anyone go to Idaho, much less Rexburg, Idaho for anything? (To answer my own question, family or Yellowstone National Park.) and the second, in Rexburg, Idaho, I'm sure a thirty mile drive to anyplace is nothing (after all, Pocatello is right down the road) and would consume no more than about 30 minutes of your time. You couldn't wait thirty minutes? :) (Of course, you'd then have to drive back, reeking of a fine Oregon Pinot and truffled McDonald's fries). In Texas, thirty miles is right next door.

My daughter had a game Sunday at EC Laurence park- first off, the phone directions sent us to the nature center, so we were a bit late (& she has a first time coach, so she was a bit anxious)-her team won, coming from behind, 13-10, Ft. Hunt Flaming Fireflies (don't even ask) against the Manassas Brigade- after the game, we were ready for lunch, I was up early & threw ribs on the smoker for T's end of season party (& was tired & grumpy), we drove about a mile north, & while the kids argued the virtues of Chipotle vs. Moe's, I weighed in on a chain restaurant (I wanted a sandwich) that was fine, everyone was VERY friendly, we all had a good lunch...(OK, it was Applebee's, probably my first time here in about 16 years, but it was a good sandwich-turkey/bacon/ avocado-I am NOT ashamed).

My daughter had a game Sunday at EC Laurence park- first off, the phone directions sent us to the nature center, so we were a bit late (& she has a first time coach, so she was a bit anxious)-her team won, coming from behind, 13-10, Ft. Hunt Flaming Fireflies (don't even ask) against the Manassas Brigade- after the game, we were ready for lunch, I was up early & threw ribs on the smoker for T's end of season party (& was tired & grumpy), we drove about a mile north, & while the kids argued the virtues of Chipotle vs. Moe's, I weighed in on a chain restaurant (I wanted a sandwich) that was fine, everyone was VERY friendly, we all had a good lunch...(OK, it was Applebee's, probably my first time here in about 16 years, but it was a good sandwich-turkey/bacon/ avocado-I am NOT ashamed).

Applebee's is better than Friday's and Ruby Tuesday, an at least on par with pimiento cheese.

• Like 1

My vote for "trite for decades": Giving a restaurant a random name, one not associated with any owner or even a local person, then making the name possesive.

Like Applebee's.

Note of course that many, many restaurants do this. I dislike the practice and think that in 50 years our successors will thing it was ridiculous...though of course a small cadre of nostalgic offerings will continue the trite trend.

My son said that what he didn't like about chain restaurants was that everyone kept checking in with you & talking to you (he ate at an Applebee's recently w/ his Dad, in WV), this shouldn't be a negative quality, & it didn't bother me that much- but everyone we interacted with was very (almost scarily) friendly-fortunately, our waiter was the least obtrusive, & as I said, the food was pretty good...

I think you should appreciate any group is trying to get better at what they do regardless of what that is. I know what you're saying but I think as we raise the bar collectively we challenge everyone to raise their game. Don't look down on Applebee's for trying to get better. Understand they are paying attention.

Spoken like a true corporate drone. Seriously.

As pointed out in the Green Turtle thread, Applebees has replaced that nightmare in Ballston.  My neighbors are quite displeased which puzzles me.  Let's examine the location: Across the street from one hotel, walking distance to thousands of hotel rooms.  What a great place for a fast bite of familiar food at a low cost. Furthermore, it's got a full bar (I assume) and friendly staff (again, assuming).

Of course I'd rather pho, or any mom-and-pop shop but I don't hate the change. Furthermore, there's a Cheesetique right across a parking garage drive!  When the flip out the mall, we will have more of these, I am sure, and will likely change my tune but for now, I welcome applebees and realize that I"m putting my DR membership at risk. 

In other news, how do we feel about the new decor of Grand Cru? I feel like i'm in Epcot; just me?

As far as the Ruby Tuesdays, TGIFs, and their ilk go, Applebees is a bit better IMHO.

Unrelated, but true story:

Many years ago my sister managed an Applebees. One night, a pregnant woman's water broke in the dining room. My sister, being in charge, delivered the baby right on the banquette. Is that service or what?

I can't recall whether or not the restaurant remained open for business the rest of the evening.

So this is why the hate.... those types of places coming into the area are a justification for other office buildings to raise rent and force out small owned businesses (like Willow- one of the reasons they cited for closing was a raising of rent).  I am glad that Cheesetique could be there, so maybe not all small businesses are so effected.  I would also prefer to have more good restaurants rather than World of Beer, Buffalo Wild Wings, Applebees and the Melting Pot (how does that place stay open???).  I guess they fill the space for Carpool and Bailey's, but at least those places had some sort of character.  We were gentrified AND now we are onto a new stage.  From what you could see for the BID thing for the SER space, there are a number of small businesses that would like to come into that area.  The more the chain restaurants move in, the more other real estate operators see those rents and think their space should be getting that amount too, so spaces like Willow and Matsutake sit empty hoping that Noodles and Co and the like from the mall move in, instead of lowering their rent.  So we aren't getting some interesting restaurants that are looking around and looking for space because of those rents.  We won't ever get the Dino's Grottos or etc at this point due to those rents.   Anyway just my thoughts on the subject.  I will never go, I don't know anyone in my neighborhood who will go, but obviously there are a few Arlingtonians or tourists who aren't complete snobs, which is fine- we need them to argue with all us snobs on ARLnow.  (I do eat at chains from time to time, I am a normal person, but I do TRY very hard to choose small or medium size businesses as there are a lot of studies that small business improves our economy and the plight of the shrinking middle class.  Plus I was raised by someone whose lifework has been to promote small and micro enterprise, so I try...)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

As far as the Ruby Tuesdays, TGIFs, and their ilk go, Applebees is a bit better IMHO.

Unrelated, but true story:

Many years ago my sister managed an Applebees. One night, a pregnant woman's water broke in the dining room. My sister, being in charge, delivered the baby right on the banquette. Is that service or what?

I can't recall whether or not the restaurant remained open for business the rest of the evening.

I am surprised the other patrons did not complain in Sietsema's chat that management did not comp their meals.

Two of the worst meals I've ever had in my life were at an Applebee's and a TGIF. The food was incredibly bad at both; at Applebee's, the service was annoying and intrusive, while at TGIF the service was passive-aggressive and frankly bizarre. I am perfectly happy to hate both establishments and will never set foot in either for the rest of my life.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Hersch said:

Two of the worst meals I've ever had in my life were at an Applebee's and a TGIF. The food was incredibly bad at both; at Applebee's, the service was annoying and intrusive, while at TGIF the service was passive-aggressive and frankly bizarre. I am perfectly happy to hate both establishments and will never set foot in either for the rest of my life.

Irony.  I've never had such elitist attitude.  I reserve my scorn for Jose Andre shitholes.

43 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Irony.  I've never had such elitist attitude.  I reserve my scorn for Jose Andre shitholes.

If you're saying it's ironic that someone on donrockwell.com would characterize as "elitist" objecting to being treated like shit while being served inedible slop, I'd say I have to agree. If you're saying something else, well, perhaps not.

• Like 1