Thought it might give each other ideas based on where and what you're ordering for take-out or delivery.  

Put in an order for pick up Saturday evening from Hong Kong Palace (website). You can order online - I think these dishes would travel well:

A18: Chengdu Spicy Cold Noodles    $7.95    
P20: Cumin Ribs    $13.95    (never had this before)
V4: Ma Po Tofu    $11.95    
V16: Stir Fried Shanghai Green & Black Mushroom    $11.95    
C24: Chengdu Tea-Smoked Duck    $17.95    

---

Hong Kong Palace (Ericandblueboy)
Valentino's Pizzeria & Restaurant (deangold)

• Like 1

We ordered the fried chicken dinner from Annies and some thai from Beau Thai Mt. Pleasant.  While it would be great to order stuff we can't usually get we are prioritizing ordering from the local neighborhood places we go to all the time, that we value having around, and that we want to see survive the crisis.  While the fine dining/special/trendy places are great, and I love them, I am more concerned about having the local workaday places make it.  Those will be harder to replace.

---

Tuscarora Mill (genericeric)

• Like 2

Here in DC we’ve done Chiko (twice), All Purpose, and Little Serow (all great) and the fried chicken bucket from Cork (disappointing). The kids also insisted on Dominos (*) one night. And we were literally on our way to Two Amy’s when I learned that they had closed. 🙁

[(*) NB - We don't have a thread on Dominos. Please refer to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and/or Yelp. Cheers, DR.
PS - There's this.]

---

Morton's (Ferris Bueller)

• Like 2

[All, I'm going to put the "results" of single-restaurant posts into the Washington DC Restaurant Forum, where they'll get more viewership, but I'll keep a link here to them. Multiple-restaurant posts will stay here - they're impossible for me to split since I don't edit other people's posts (except for minor adjustments as-needed - example: I HATE the extra blank line at the end of posts, it drives me nuts (*)). You can keep posting here, and I'll keep moving them with a link, or you can post them in the restaurant forum and put your own link here (if you want)).]

wheel.jpeg

(*) Sea Captain walks into a bar, holding a big, old-fashioned ship's wheel which is sticking out the front of his pants. Bartender says, "Hey buddy, did you know you have a ship's wheel sticking out the front of your pants?" Sea Captain says, "Aye, it's drivin' me' nuts."

---

Lost Dog Cafe (ktmoomau)
Aracosia (Ericandblueboy)
Super Chicken (Ericandblueboy)
Clarity (curls)

• Haha 1

We've been trying to do takeout or delivery once a week each for lunch and dinner.

I never thought the DoorDash credit from our Chase Sapphire Reserve card would come in handy, but here we are. Ordered from Zenebech last Friday for dinner and our usual order of awaze tibs and vegetarian platter was good for dinner that night and Sunday lunch. Sweetgreen is always a good excuse to go for a midday stroll as is Sundevich when I need the stroll to be a little longer. After picking up our sandwiches and a side of hummus this past Friday, I stopped by Buttercream Bakeshop for some delicious baked goods. Unfortunately Buttercream is closed now. I also walked by All Purpose which displayed their wines for sale for some very reasonable looking prices. If I had more hands, I would certainly have bought a bottle or two. But a return trip is definitely in the cards.

This coronavirus situation was also a good excuse to order Chiko, which we were never able to visit prior to this pandemic.

Della Barba and Beau Thai have been our delivery go-tos for a long time and we continue to keep them in the rotation. 

Next up, probably Grazie Grazie for lunch later this week because we miss Taylor Gourmet.

---

Redeeming Credit Card Points (Ericandblueboy)
Peter Chang China Cafe (Ericandblueboy)

• Like 1

Mostly I've been cooking myself, but we've gotten delivery from both Equinox and Rose's at Home. The food from both was excellent. The saffron fusilli with fennel sausage bolognese, baby carrots & broccoli rabe from Equinox was so good I'd consider paying their delivery fee again just to order several portions of that a la carte.

We got the 3 menu option from Rose's. We ended up eating them in order listed on the card that came with them. The card had heating and serving instructions on it. The second menu -- with lychee salad, rigatoni alla vodka, and chocolate chip cookies -- tasted just like being in the restaurant. There was something familiar in the taste of the dishes that was nice. This was true for other items but that menu really hit a lot of the notes.

Since I'm kind of neurotic with the sanitizing, Rose's exquisite attention to detail meant a lot of decisions about how feasible sanitizing was. Every component was in a separate container. It was very meticulously designed.

Both restaurants used their own delivery. I haven't gotten anything yet using any 3rd party delivery services.

---

Seylou Bakery & Mill (deangold)
Beanetics (deangold)
Taco Bamba (Ericandblueboy)

• Like 2

For our rare takeout order, we chose Pelicana chicken. Whole Bird w/spicy sauce. The sauce was really spicy. The bird itsle was pretty great even if the breast meat was a little dry. The crost lost a little being in a box on the drive home, but this was tasty. The pocled daikon always a treat.

Late afternoon snack: romaine salad w/tuna {genova yellowfin in olive oil, up there with much more expensive brands} and an avocado. Dressed w/olive oil & sherry vinegar. 

Question; Why is it almost always called Sherry wine vinegar and you never say to "I'll have a glass of sherry wine"? I have trained myself just to say Sherry Vinegar just as I say Champagne Vinegar and not Champagne Wine Vinegar. Sheltering in place has left me time to ponder the deep mysteries of life. Next up a treatise about The La Brea Tar Pits.

---

Farenheit Asian (Ericandblueboy)
Red Apron (eatruneat)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We have had: The Italian Place- ovi sub for lunch, and a frozen lasagna for dinner.  Popeyes chicken sandwiches.  And tonight we will have out Mount Vernon Easter dinner, well we will have it for several days as it is a lot of food- the ladies sent us ham, scalloped potatoes and veggies.  We had ordered lamb, veggies and caesar salad.  So lots of food, we will likely make a care package for our renter. 

---

Nasime (Deborah Lee)

We've been doing carryout once a week, for the last 3 weeks. 

We're out in Dale City, so we've done Dixie Bones and they did a fantastic job prepping the order and including instructions for how to clean, reheat, etc. 

This past weekend, I was craving Indian, so we hit up Taste of Tandoor, after verifying they were still open since they hadn't updated their website or FB page. 

Haven't settled on what we're getting this weekend yet.

---

New Big Wong (Mark Slater)

On 4/22/2020 at 8:19 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Post your latest restaurant meal.

Purple Patch  - carryout last Friday. So good. Tocino was good. L enjoyed the rice noodle dish with shrimp. Order by phone - the web page told him he couldn't have shrimp!

Mezcalero - carryout last Saturday. Mole tacos are tasty! And, as ever, L had the shrimp and chorizo quesadilla. He loves that thing.

---

Il Pizzico (MC Horoscope)

Perhaps of limited interest, but:

Middleburg Tennis Club (last night): Chicken Pot Pie for two (x2)

Field & Main: Burgers, gnocci with spring pesto and chicken (last week, ordered twice) Coq au Vin (this coming Saturday)

Hunters Head: Shepherds Pie, Fish and Chips (Tuesday) - honestly they are probably doing a better job with takeout than with the restaurant open. Far more consistent.

Planning on a drive into DC to pick up Kinship to-go next week...

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 4:26 PM, Pat said:

We got the 3 menu option from Rose's. We ended up eating them in order listed on the card that came with them. The card had heating and serving instructions on it. The second menu -- with lychee salad, rigatoni alla vodka, and chocolate chip cookies -- tasted just like being in the restaurant. There was something familiar in the taste of the dishes that was nice. This was true for other items but that menu really hit a lot of the notes.

We're getting the 3-night menu from Rose's next week, very much looking forward to it!

Other than that we're doing takeout 1-2x a week, mostly sticking to the local places we usually frequent near our house that the kids also enjoy.  We have done a couple "adults only" orders while the kids are having a pizza and movie night; Red Hen has been the stand out on that front and we'll order from them again soon.  I would have next week were it not for the pending Rose's feast(s).

On 4/24/2020 at 1:14 PM, Keithstg said:

Perhaps of limited interest, but:

Middleburg Tennis Club (last night): Chicken Pot Pie for two (x2)

Field & Main: Burgers, gnocci with spring pesto and chicken (last week, ordered twice) Coq au Vin (this coming Saturday)

Hunters Head: Shepherds Pie, Fish and Chips (Tuesday) - honestly they are probably doing a better job with takeout than with the restaurant open. Far more consistent.

Planning on a drive into DC to pick up Kinship to-go next week...

Field & Main and Hunters Head are both good options. Haven't heard of Middleburg Tennis Club or been to it, is that an old fashioned club or new restaurant? Red Truck bakery is closed from my wife told me when we were searching for open bakeries. 

On 4/24/2020 at 5:31 PM, lion said:

Field & Main and Hunters Head are both good options. Haven't heard of Middleburg Tennis Club or been to it, is that an old fashioned club or new restaurant? Red Truck bakery is closed from my wife told me when we were searching for open bakeries. 

Red Truck will be back open on May 1. They closed for a bit to avoid burnout. Middleburg Tennis Club is a private tennis club on Zulla Road.

Honestly, I don't love Hunters Head, but we eat there a fair bit because my kids enjoy it. It's fine if you stick with the staples (and in the old days, avoid the weekends).

Red Bar Sushi for lunch today. Honestly think they are the best restaurant in Middleburg proper, and have been for a while.

---

Fresh Baguette (MC Horoscope)
Vace (saf)
Dining in Middleburg (lion)
Beau Thai (petercarrjones)
Scrappy's Bagel Bar (Deborah Lee)
Uncle Liu's (Ericandblueboy)

• Like 1

We just got Pork Barrel BBQ last night.  We walked over to get it and walked home (with face masks) so that Max got an extra little walk too.  Order was ready when we got there.  We got pulled pork family meal and added on some burnt ends.  Sides of collard green, potato salad and red slaw (slaw mixed with a little bbq sauce). The burnt ends were fine, but everything else was good, with the pulled pork and collards being really good.

We also have gotten: Junction Bakery, Monterey's Pizza (who is giving staff a short rest as they were super busy), both of which were good.

Souvlaki Bar - they need to update their online menu so you can order a greek salad with chicken yeero.  Right now you have to do it as one of their bowls, and I don't think the salad is as good that way, and you don't get as much chicken.  I will call in my order next time and walk to pick it up.

On my list of up next are: El Paso for enchiladas, Nasime.  

---

The National Drive-Thru Market (curls)
Profish (lion)
Little Serow (Marty L.)
Sushi Taro (Ericandblueboy)

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 6:48 PM, Pat said:

Corduroy and Baby Wale are on Tock for pickup. ... (I think they're newly added to Tock, or I haven't noticed them there before anyway.)

I think they are new - the newsletter this week made a big deal about them.

About a week and a half ago I got a hankering for Chinese so I went to the Hong Kong Palace website and it looked like they were closed.  Fearing the worst, I freaked out for a few minutes, and then ordered from Peter Chang, promising that I would follow up.  (Peter Chang was fine, but there were about two dozen Doordash-types hanging out with me outside waiting for their food.  Everyone was surprisingly polite and space-respectful while the PC staff were overwhelemed trying to keep up.) 

Today, we were near Seven Corners and stopped by to check on HKP's status.  The door was open, and they now appear to be on Doordash and other delivery services.  Since I live no more than 10 mins away, I will be picking up rather than supporting a delivery service for their food, but am SO SO SO SO SO glad that HKP isn't Closed with a capital C.  That was my biggest fear, because I don't know what my life would be without the Chicken With Stuffed Peppers wall "special."  Seriously.

Padaek appeared to be closed (small c).

While we loved ordering takeout from Little Serow (spectacular), Komi (very good) and Rose's Luxury (excellent), on those occasions where we order in - we've also been doing a ton of cooking and I'm gonna try to make bagels tomorrow with barley-malt syrup we got from a hole-in-the-wall next to the Sears 1960s architectural monstrosity - I think I'm going to be voting more often for the less-fancy places, to do my part to keep them going and maybe be able to distribute my food $ to more places.  Opposing viewpoints welcome, of course.  

---

DC Brau (Pat)

• Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 2:58 PM, captcourt said:

and maybe be able to distribute my food $ to more places.  Opposing viewpoints welcome, of course.  

I have been only patronizing several establishments, and even then I’m guilty that I am not only supporting one. Hopefully I have picked places that have a real chance of surviving. 

---

Joe's Seafood (Mark Slater)
Wooboi Hot Chicken (reedm)
Beer Deliveries (Rhone1998)

• Like 1

I'm late to this thread.  I've been ordering takeout/delivery about 2x a week.  I'm trying to do takeout when I can to avoid GrubHub, etc. taking their big commission from the restaurant.  Even if you use the phone number from GrubHub site to phone in an order, GrubHub gets a cut, so you must go to the phone number on the restaurant website.  Even Google might yield just the GrubHub phone number.  When I say GrubHub, I mean GH, DoorDash, Uber Eats, etc.  Check out this article:  

"It's Time To Order Directly from Restaurants Again" by Elizabeth Yuko on lifehacker.com

Since the lockdown we've tried to stick with mom-and-pops mostly.  I've been to:

• Stone Hot Pizza - Clarendon.  I really like their pizza and I want them to stay in business.  Went there 2x.  Mushrooms and peppers.
  • Big Buns Ballston - Went there 2x.  First time burgers were great as usual.  2nd time not as great.  Love their wine offerings - served in a soda cup.  Good value.
  • Lost Dog North Arlington - Husband doesn't like Stone Hot so he orders pizza here.  Nice thing about carryout is we don't have to eat from the same place.
  • TNR Cafe - beef with broccoli good as usual.  Sweet and sour pork - not so great.  Their sweet and sour is hit or miss.
  • Crystal Thai - goong pad eggplant, fried calamari, drunken spaghetti.  Picked up, traveled well but we live only 5 minutes away
  • Ted's Bulletin Ballston - chicken parmesan is great.  Two patties of chicken parm plus fettucine, garlic toast and side salad.  Big hit with us!  Went there 2x.  If you order pickup from their website, you get a free pop tart.  Their instructions for getting free pop tart doesn't work, but when you pick up the order, tell them and they will give you the pop tart.  I had the blueberry cheesecake version and wow, like a big shortbread sandwich cookie.
  • La Union - just as good as dining in.  Trio enchiladas and combo enchilada/taco/burrito.
  • Greek Taverna - just as good as dining in.  We ordered the Taverna Specials.  A little bit far but worth it.

Future takeouts include Maya Bistro, Tupelo Honey, Hunan Gate, XO Taste, Masala Express.

• Like 4

I'm also late to this thread. Thankfully a portion of this site is back in business.

I have been supporting as many local establishments as possible with delivery or carry out. One of the recent delivery options was Kabobistan in Annandale. Delivery was via DoorDash, and it got to Springfield in pretty good shape. The kabobs were excellent, and the sides -- chick pea stew, stewed spinach, and rice pilaf were as good as dine-in. The qabili pilau was a ht.

We also did carry out from Lebanese Taverna in Tysons Galleria. They have orders of "toiletries bundle" for $22, which includes 4 toilet paper rolls, 2 paper towels, a box of gloves and an all-purpose bleach spray, which we grabbed. We also grabbed an order of "protein bundle" which includes "fully butchered and ready to make your way 1 lb Elysian Fields lamb 2 lbs free bird chicken breast 2 lbs grass fed ground beef or grass feed kafta meat ~ add 1 lb salmon $12" -- and then we ordered our dinner too. 

Plus, a sizable donation to Jose Andres' World Central Kitchen as well as to DC Central Kitchen went out this past week.

I also find that supporting restaurants in other locations is important during this pandemic. Goldbelly has enabled me to order two DiFarra pizzas, as well as an abundance of items from Russ and Daughters.The latter will be sending chopped liver, smoked salmon, their smoked salmon and whitefish salad, and pumpernickel.

• Like 4

China Wok on Friday.  If you order from Beyond Menu, you’ll see the “Chinese Menu” at the bottom where you get real Chinese food.  The Tofu & Eggplant Casserole with Salted Fish & Chicken was particular good and interesting.

Vinh Kee is still offering dim sum but you have to call to order.  The dim sum menu is not on Doordash.  I was told the order would take 30-45 minutes but it actually took just over an hour.  Too many people loitering inside the restaurant waiting for their food without masks made me queasy - they like to block the door and the cash register counter.  It was Mother's Day - maybe they weren't expecting to be slammed.

---

Corduroy (DIShGo)
Ledo Pizza (lion)
Blue Ridge Grill (Bob Wells)

• Like 2

On 5/11/2020 at 9:30 AM, lion said:

We finally did Ledo's pizza for take-out. It was a good change of pace after such a long time. 

We haven't ordered any carry-out or delivery during this whole strange period. My husband is too freaked out. I tried to convince him early on that it would be OK, but he didn't budge. Anyway, the one food I'd really love to have is a Ledo's pizza. I miss those. 😋

Also, @lion, my friend didn't give many details, but she was happy with her ProFish order. She ordered crabmeat, halibut (which was filleted but the skin was on), and smoked salmon (which she froze).

• Like 2

On 5/11/2020 at 10:37 AM, Bob Wells said:

Total disaster at the usually dependable Blue Ridge Grill in Brambleton yesterday. Somehow they were not prepared for all the people who wanted to get some decent takeout for mothers day. I had to wait in a car line for TWO HOURS and when I finally got my order and went home, not surprisingly there were major screwups. Spoke to one of the managers who apologized and agreed to refund the entire cost but still, the whole ordeal was a major downer on Moms Day.

I've had two really bad experiences and two really good ones. The two bad ones were at higher volume places. 

The first really good one was at Barrel & Crow, which is using a pared down menu, allowed wine purchases with a discount, and included a thank you note. 

Little Beast Bistro was also a good experience - totally contactless and on time. 

The higher volume places were essentially trying to do their normal menu, including customizations, with no adjustments for the reduced kitchen crew.  I was given times (that were more than an hour out) but ended up standing outside for 45-90 minutes at each place.  Not really convenient.  I'd like to see more restaurants do dishes that take away the prep work, but are more family sized.  Make me a great lasagna that I can heat up for four people or a taco kit with all the ingredients prepared and stored separately. That has to save time and effort on the restaurant's side as well.

• Like 2

I can't even imagine what the restaurants are going through these days, but....

Here is an opportunity for them to pivot and shine (lemonade out of lemons), but the same skill that went into creating a great restaurant experience needs to be transferred into the carry out experience. 

We have done pick up/ delivery at a couple of places and the experiences have been sub par...packaging  and timing issues.  We have had meals at Equinox, Sugo, and Mon Ami Gabi.

The black plastic containers are ok- unless the food is overstuffed and pasta comes out as a solid chunk.  Unlike eating in a restaurant- the food probably wont be eaten for at least 30 minutes and probably more like 1+ hour.  How does the food react to this delay?

The successful meals we have had have come in the aluminum 1/2 size pans with lids (more like the surface area of a plate).  Plenty of space, no need to be over stuffed, the food reheats in a regular oven well- lid on for moist items, off for crispy...  We also prefer the family meal style of ordering, makes things a bit more special than carry out- I am guessing easier for restaurants as well.  Even non family style- the entree and sides could be placed in its own pan. If pans cost more than plastic containers- have an up-charge if needed, well worth 50 cents if the meal is better or more special.

Timing is something I think also should be manageable, especially with orders placed in advance.  Pre Covid, they were taking (more) orders on the fly and sending it out to the dining room in a reasonable amount of time.  If the kitchen so so busy, 1 hour waits for carry out orders- I am guessing the volume is adequate to allow for proper staffing. 

Everyone wants this to work...comments are just my thoughts on how to make this work better.

• Like 4

Since I last posted I have had meals at:

Taqueria Poblano- margs are so, so good.  Hubby's crispy tacos made the journey back to our house and warmed in the oven better than expected.  The shells in my tostada were a little soggy (to be expected), but I ate it with chips which made it quite crispy.  The whole meal was a little pricier than I expected (I have no idea what the margaritas cost so it was probably that), but I was happy to support them and it was good.

El Paso- Enchiladas were still great, everything came in containers you could pop right into the oven or microwave.

Pork Barrel BBQ- the collard greens here are amazing, the potlicker is really good.  I could eat quarts of these greens regularly.  The pulled pork was good, they have sweet cornbread, but I like it.  The cucumber salad was forgettable, as was the red slaw (essentially slaw with bbq sauce/dressing mix).  I like the potato salad.  We also got burnt ends which were fine.  But honestly- pork, greens, cornbread were all great.  They did pick up very well.

Souvlaki Bar- got a bowl as I couldn't find a greek salad with the chicken yeero.  The bowl wasn't quite as good, I will call in my order next time, as I like the salad better.

Monterey's Pizza- they closed for a short period, but are back open, hooray!  This is our favorite neighborhood delivery pizza.

Lost Dog- They just do delivery so well.  It has always been a big part of their business and they just nail it every time.

Italian Place- I really like the Ovi with peppers added on.  

I feel like there were a few others I just don't remember....

We have gotten beverage delivery from Market to Market and Aslin.  And I got an extra shipment from my wine club. 

---

The State Theatre (stevem)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dracisk said:

We haven't ordered any carry-out or delivery during this whole strange period. My husband is too freaked out. I tried to convince him early on that it would be OK, but he didn't budge. Anyway, the one food I'd really love to have is a Ledo's pizza. I miss those. 😋

Also, @lion, my friend didn't give many details, but she was happy with her ProFish order. She ordered crabmeat, halibut (which was filleted but the skin was on), and smoked salmon (which she froze).

Ledo's pizza was our first foray into carry-out dining since the quarantine began and it was for our son's birthday. However, my wife and I felt it was challenging removing the pizza from the boxes and then running it through the oven at 400 degrees for 5 minutes to insure it was properly 'disinfected'. We have been making pizza at home for Friday night family movie/pizza night and it's easier all the way around. All that being said, it was a good change of pace to have the smoked mozzarella and sweet tomato sauce in the square shape that Ledo's is known for. 

Thanks for the update on the ProFish order. I tried to stop by Organic Butcher of McLean to pick up some seafood, however there was a line of ten plus at the moment in time. It seems like a large section of new people have heard about it and/or there was a run on beef and pork due to the recent news articles on the supply chain having issues. I will keep ProFish in mind if we do a direct door to door order for seafood.

7 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Total disaster at the usually dependable Blue Ridge Grill in Brambleton yesterday. Somehow they were not prepared for all the people who wanted to get some decent takeout for mothers day. I had to wait in a car line for TWO HOURS and when I finally got my order and went home, not surprisingly there were major screwups. Spoke to one of the managers who apologized and agreed to refund the entire cost but still, the whole ordeal was a major downer on Moms Day.

PS I placed this order at 4:30 for a 6:30 pickup and it was still 100 minutes late!

Bob,

If you're not familiar with Ahso, I recommend you give them a try. They have really stepped up, and are offering a variety of great options. Ramen on Monday, Tacos on Tuesday, BBQ on Friday.

• Like 1

We did a ProFish order and picked it up on Saturday from the parking lot at Rodman's. Last night we had some little neck clams and bronzino filets - big hit with the family.
Tonight, we are having their scallops.
We also picked up some salmon and shrimp that we froze.

Easy ordering and pick-up - we will definitely reorder.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lion said:

Ledo's pizza was our first foray into carry-out dining since the quarantine began and it was for our son's birthday. However, my wife and I felt it was challenging removing the pizza from the boxes and then running it through the oven at 400 degrees for 5 minutes to insure it was properly 'disinfected'. We have been making pizza at home for Friday night family movie/pizza night and it's easier all the way around. All that being said, it was a good change of pace to have the smoked mozzarella and sweet tomato sauce in the square shape that Ledo's is known for.

We've also been doing homemade pizza but on Saturdays. 🙂 It's been great, but I feel like comparing it to Ledo's is like comparing apples and oranges. I love Ledo's crackery crust, which we haven't been able to approximate. Nonetheless, I'm thankful for a pizza source.

15 hours ago, reedm said:

Bob,

If you're not familiar with Ahso, I recommend you give them a try. They have really stepped up, and are offering a variety of great options. Ramen on Monday, Tacos on Tuesday, BBQ on Friday.

Thanks Reed, yes we tried Ahso for dinner and they definitely deserve our support. I'll see what the family would like to try!

14 hours ago, dracisk said:

We've also been doing homemade pizza but on Saturdays. 🙂 It's been great, but I feel like comparing it to Ledo's is like comparing apples and oranges. I love Ledo's crackery crust, which we haven't been able to approximate. Nonetheless, I'm thankful for a pizza source.

Ledo's is great local pizza however still miss the original Delphi location. It was just such a dump with lot of character and heart. Recalled my 70s childhood idea of pizza restaurant. 

I've been getting tired of the same toaster oven or big oven pizza at home as well so ordered a 12" BK carbon steel pan to try. Sur la Tab has had discounts of 30-40% off. Unfortunately, recent articles are suggesting that they will end in bankruptcy. 

I'm craving good sushi.  Has anyone had any luck with takeout/delivery options?

Our neighbors got pickup from Sushi Ogawa the other day.  This is the $90 "Sushi and Rolls Assortment" on their take out menu.  They said it was good and the fish looks nice, but it's too bad there's not more variety.  Chalk it up to supply chain issues I guess?  Or people just wanting the basics in the current circumstances?

16 minutes ago, Rhone1998 said:

This is the $90 "Sushi and Rolls Assortment" on their take out menu.  They said it was good and the fish looks nice, but it's too bad there's not more variety. 

I'm craving sushi as well but not that!  At this point, I'll probably just wait to Nakazawa to reopen.

2 hours ago, Rhone1998 said:

Our neighbors got pickup from Sushi Ogawa the other day.  This is the $90 "Sushi and Rolls Assortment" on their take out menu.  They said it was good and the fish looks nice, but it's too bad there's not more variety.  Chalk it up to supply chain issues I guess?  Or people just wanting the basics in the current circumstances?

Where's the second tray? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, lion said:

I've been getting tired of the same toaster oven or big oven pizza at home as well so ordered a 12" BK carbon steel pan to try. Sur la Tab has had discounts of 30-40% off. Unfortunately, recent articles are suggesting that they will end in bankruptcy. 

We've been grilling ours on pizza stones!

5 hours ago, lion said:

Just had that awful moment where a restaurant that's been a big part of my life here in DC will have to close permanently if things don't turn around in the next week or two. I work in finance, I know this is all real in the abstract, but hearing it from a family favorite really was just a heart wrenching moment.  What makes this even tougher is that this is a place that does delivery and carryout - and they're still just weeks from the end.  Ugh.  Ugh ugh ugh.

• Like 1

Had a very tasty meal from Mandalay in Silver Spring last week. Food was as good as it has ever been there. I popped in to pick it up, rather than give a delivery service more money. The manager (who has been there forever, but unfortunately I don't know his name) said they now are using a service called Clover for ordering and paying one (so I don't have to do a credit card swipe upon arrival).

Have also ordered from Vaca in Bethesda twice on Friday/Saturday evenings, and wow, they remain slammed. Had an hour+ wait for a pickup one evening, and at least a 1.5 hour wait when I ordered via Postmates. Glad they remain busy. Pizza was good as always.

A La Lucia in Old Town is doing carryout and they are offering a different family meal each day.  Unfortunately, the website is a bit wonky, so when you click the thumbnail, it doesn't expand, and I wasn't able to read the details about any of the family meal offers (tonight is fried chicken, for example, but I can't tell what the sides are or the pricing).  They also have their basic menu available of pizzas, pastas, etc.  There is also a catering menu where you can order larger quantities a day in advance.

• Like 1

Not sure if this fits with the theme of this thread, but a package arrived from Russ and Daughters today. Thanks to Goldbelly, they deliver. The order came in a styrofoam box with plenty of those fake ice blocks, so it arrived cold. There were containers of smoked salmon and whitefish salad, chopped chicken livers, and lox. Plus a very nice loaf of pumpernickel. What a treat. This isn't a cheap nosh, but what a treat. That food is downright delicious. I'm not Jewish but I could eat this food every day.

Later today, I'm expecting a package of two pizzas from Di Farra Pizza. I'll report when I taste it.

And it arrived! Packed with dry ice, and including a small pack of grated parmeggiano and fresh but frozen basil leaves, the two pizzas look luscious. Alas, I have a belly full of chopped liver from Russ and Daughters, so the pizzas will remain frozen until tomorrow....they look legit.

• Like 1